Buzzing noise when turning ignition switch - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 03-04-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Buzzing noise when turning ignition switch

I have a 2006 Accord VP and when i turn the ignition switch forward to the point right before the car is going to turn on there is a soft buzzing noise coming from under the driver's side dash or somewhere in the steering column. Yesterday i was spraying Meguiar's plastic/dash protectant on the steering wheel and all over the dash. I don't know if maybe it leaked down into a crevice and got on some exposed wires. I just find it odd because i've never heard this noise until today and now every time i start the car i hear a buzz sound. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Alabaster Silver 2006 Honda Accord VP w/110k miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-04-2011, 04:52 PM
4th Gear

I hear it, too...always thought it was just a relay or something making noise between switch contacts.

post #3 of 34 Old 11-05-2011, 04:31 PM
My First Post

buzzing noise when turning ignition

Hey i have an 2003 honda accord sedan ex and i am having the same issue. has anyone figured it out? i had the buzzing for about a month now but lately it has gotten really bad. it takes like 10 tries to start the ignition. One guy told me i need a starter but I think its an electric problem. so any help is appreciated. thanks.

post #4 of 34 Old 11-05-2011, 04:53 PM

My car's done that a few times since I bought it new. But it only happens if I turn the key too slowly going from the ON (II) position to the START (III) position or if the key is kept too long at the position right before getting to the START (III) position.... like when I get distracted.

If I turn the key at a normal speed, making sure it gets to the START (III) position, then there's no problem. So maybe you're not turning the key quickly enough or far enough to get to the START (III) position?
post #5 of 34 Old 11-05-2011, 05:25 PM
'03 E39 Sport - 5 Spd

I have the same problem with my 2007 accord vp.. same exact sound and spot, its not because of the mequires though. Dosent happen all the time but now that someone mentions it does seem like it happens when i turn the ignition on slowly.
post #6 of 34 Old 11-05-2011, 06:23 PM
2nd Gear

In my car there is a soft buzzing sound when I do this that seems to be related to the ABS system because when it stops the ABS indicator light turns off as well. It only lasts for a second or so when the key is turned to the Start position. It has always done this and it is noticeable only when turning the key slowly to this position without actually starting the engine. I normally don't hear it because the a/c blower has already kicked in by then. I never turn the a/c off.

Greetings from sunny Puerto Rico!

2017 Accord EX Sedan CVT
2003 Accord DX Sedan, 5MT (owned for 14.5 years and 264,500 miles)
post #7 of 34 Old 11-25-2011, 11:17 AM
4th Gear

Noone has suggested fuel pump? You would hear it just for a few seconds though...
post #8 of 34 Old 11-25-2011, 11:42 AM

I'm aware of the fuel pump hum which occurs when you turn the key to the ON (II) position. This is not the fuel pump since

1. it's coming from the steering column.
2. it sometimes occurs when you turn the key from ON (II) position to START (III) position.
3. noise is more electricity-like than a hum.
post #9 of 34 Old 11-25-2011, 12:06 PM
BRWNFLSH now

If you don't turn the key too slowly, and it stays between on, and start, for any length of time, you will here the buzzer. I have a surgically repaired wrist, and it's hard for me to turn the key all the way from off to start, so I have heard the buzzing a lot over the 9 years I've owned the car. It's just the car trying to tell you not to keep the key in that position.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #10 of 34 Old 11-30-2011, 07:26 AM
1st Gear

Same Here

I have the same problem on my 2008 Accord, this happens usually in the morning and I can't replicate it afterwards, I was thinking on an electrical problem too... I bought the car 5 months ago, and this started just recently when it got cold in Atlanta (maybe just a coincidence).

2008 Accord Sedan LX-P
post #11 of 34 Old 11-30-2011, 02:42 PM
5th Gear

Someone told me that before starting your car (expecially in the winter) you should turn the key to ON (II) for 5-10 seconds before turning it to START (III). This way it allows fuel to be ****ed up slowly through a hose because the car is anticipating a start. Otherwise the fuel is forced through the hoses causing strain on sed hoses. Not sure if this is true but I've always associated that noise with something to do with the fuel pump. I hear this noise in both my parents vehicles as well (Pontiac and Dodge)

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 - Silver

Previously owned, but not forgotten:
2004 Accord LX I4 Sedan - Graphite Pearl
post #12 of 34 Old 11-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Yal
07 Sdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiffer View Post
I hear it, too...always thought it was just a relay or something making noise between switch contacts.
That's what it sounds like to me too
post #13 of 34 Old 06-11-2012, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

I just encounted this same problem tonight with my 05 EX coupe, v6 vtech model, 83,000 on it We got the car in February and I never noticed it. But as others have said, I think I may have been turning the key too slowly, and then stopped because the noise freaked me out. I turned it off and on again a few times and noticed the quicker I turned the key, it didn't make the sound. I'm glad I found this thread, it makes me feel a lot better to see other people are experiencing this and it may not be an issue.
post #14 of 34 Old 06-12-2012, 06:04 AM
3rd Gear

I have had that sound a few times. It is reproducable when the key is turned too slowly. It sounds to me like electrical arching across contacts. I would highly suggest not allowing this to happen unless you want a new ignition. Every other time I have heard a similar noise bad things have happened.
post #15 of 34 Old 07-05-2012, 09:23 PM
2nd Gear

SO GLAD i found this thread...

got a 06 accord, this buzzing / electricity contact noise is getting more frequent and car will not start. i thought my car was the only car that did this and probably will be a hard to diagnose problem. sounds like i m not alone!

noise is coming straight from the steering wheel column.

its a rapid buzz, and usually if i stop cranking, and recrank it will be ok. if i keep going while its buzzing, there will be no start noise, and dash lights will go out

battery is new

it happens more frequently if the car is cold or not recently driven

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.