SRS Module Replacement Procedure? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-11-2011, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

SRS Module Replacement Procedure?

2003 Accord V6 Sedan

SRS Module P/N: 77960-SDA-D02

I had a dealer diagnose an SRS light that was on for a couple years now. The code coming back was for an internal failure of the module. They obviously want $500+ to replace it (quoted $350 for the part but only an hour of work). 2 questions:

1) I can find that p/n for cheaper elsewhere than through my dealer (majestic has it for $227). Is it acceptable for it be purchased elsewhere and brought to the shop for install? $347 is better than $500.

2) Otherwise, is there a safe procedure out there (a Honda TSB) for replacing it yourself? I guess I don't even know where the module is, but I've torn my dash apart numerous times for the cd changer, heated seats, dash lamps, etc. My fear is that without a proper procedure there's some danger here, and I know there's need to turn off your battery, short stuff out, etc.

Thanks for any help!

Brian

Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-16-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Bump -- Anyone know how to replace these safely?

2003 Accord EX V6
post #3 of 18 Old 02-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Out of Control

i know how. i replaced mine myself. i would have responded if i saw your thread earlier. i ordered mine from hondapartsnow for ~$300.

its actually pretty easy if you just follow the steps correctly.

first, remove the cubby and the 2 side panels around the cubby.

you will need a T30 torx screw to remove 4 screws around the srs unit(2 on top, 2 on the side) make sure you have an extension and be careful when removing the screws on the sides because you DONT want to drop it into the AC vents.

Then disconnect your battery and wait 3 minutes, no less, make sure all the remaining electricity is discharged.

then you are free to unplug the 3 plugs to the srs unit. then swap it out, and put everything back and plug the battery in again.

then you're done!

(the things to the right of the srs unit are the front impact sensors)

2007 Acura TL Type-S

post #4 of 18 Old 03-04-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Wow thanks for the post and picture. Good info. Looks simple enough -- i've been under that cubby before just don't recall seeing it.

A few questions:

1) I've found a ton of different part numbers that say they are compliant with 03 accords. According to the dealer papers, my specific vin (4 door) calls for: 77960-SDA-D02

There's plenty out there on Ebay that are listed 77960-SDA-CXXX-XX. I see yours was also a different end part number (and out of an acura?)

a) what's the difference, if anyone knows?
b) is it wise to get one that may have been used before? (assuming it is in working order)
c) can I get away with using one that has a different designation there?

I would guess differences in trim (2dr vs 4dr etc) may require a different programmed unit and I/O but maybe not. I'm leaning towards getting a 'new' one from a dealer, but they're awfully spendy compared to ones on Ebay. I've also found direct matches (with the 'new' designation) for my specific p/n -- just curious.

2) Can you get those T30 torx pretty much anywhere? Do you suggest a socket + extension or like an allen wrench looking one?

Thanks again!

Brian

2003 Accord EX V6
post #5 of 18 Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 AM
1st Gear

Instructions for Removing Side Panels around the cubby

Does any one have instructions for removing the side panels around the cubby(I think it is fairly easy), I have the instructions to remove the cubby,
I am trying to replace my SRS module on 06 Accord.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-13-2011, 09:46 AM
4th Gear

It's pretty easy to remove the triangular trim pieces on either side - a screw and a clip on the driver's side and two clips on the passenger side IIRC. The sides of the lower storage compartment are actually part of and attached to the entire dash, so unless you plan to spend several hours removing the whole thing, you'll have to work around those.

2006 Accord SE Sedan - I4 - 5MT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds85466 View Post
A few questions:

1) I've found a ton of different part numbers that say they are compliant with 03 accords. According to the dealer papers, my specific vin (4 door) calls for: 77960-SDA-D02

There's plenty out there on Ebay that are listed 77960-SDA-CXXX-XX. I see yours was also a different end part number (and out of an acura?)

a) what's the difference, if anyone knows?
b) is it wise to get one that may have been used before? (assuming it is in working order)
c) can I get away with using one that has a different designation there?

I would guess differences in trim (2dr vs 4dr etc) may require a different programmed unit and I/O but maybe not. I'm leaning towards getting a 'new' one from a dealer, but they're awfully spendy compared to ones on Ebay. I've also found direct matches (with the 'new' designation) for my specific p/n -- just curious.

2) Can you get those T30 torx pretty much anywhere? Do you suggest a socket + extension or like an allen wrench looking one?

Thanks again!

Brian
1a. the difference is that they are made for different cars. for example, coupe and sedan are DIFFERENT, and also different trim levels have different ones because the older LX models dont have side airbags.
1b. NO, not wise at all. srs units only work ONCE. once it deploys ANY of the airbags even if its only one, the unit is done for, and there will be an airbag light on your dash until you get a new one.
1c. nope. how do i know? because i had a 2006 accord coupe and i tried using one from a 2006 accord sedan, and guess what? i had the annoying airbag light on my dash. the sedans and coupes have different types of airbags so dont cheap out on this.

buy one from hondapartsnow. its about $280, much cheaper than dealer, and then install it yourself.

2. yes, t30 torx screws at autozone for $3, you will need an extension too.

2007 Acura TL Type-S
post #8 of 18 Old 04-13-2011, 02:14 PM
1st Gear

SRS module can be reparied.

check this site
post #9 of 18 Old 04-13-2011, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

unable to remove torx screws

unable to remove torx screw from SRS module using torx screw driver,
does any one have tips to remove torx screws.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-28-2011, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Getting back to the SRS module replacement...Finally

Sorry, it's been forever.

When you say you need to remove the side panels around the cubby, what exactly do you mean? I know I've seen an access hatch on the passenger side, but not so sure on the driver side.

Could you include a pic on how to get those side screws? Thanks a lot paperboy!

I'm guessing your advice is to get a new one from a reliable source, not one from ebay or something?....

2003 Accord EX V6
post #11 of 18 Old 11-23-2013, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys, sorry to bump such an old thread, my side airbag light has gone off,and is on/off intermittently, and the airbag light has been on consistently for a while now (at first it would come on when going at high speeds)

So, mechanic said SRS Module needs replacing and says that he needs to check what the part numnber/serial number is first before looking for it used (new is $1000+), and the labour for that is quite a bit, so I called Honda myself and gave them my car's info:

2003 Honda Accord, I4, 4 Door

And they told me the part number is: 77960-sda-a62 (different from above). and they also said they're all the same for that year's sedans.

Can anyone confirm this is true so I can give that p/n to my mechanic and get him to find a used one for me?

Thanks in advance folks!

2003 Honda Accord - I4 - Black
post #12 of 18 Old 11-23-2013, 01:36 PM
6th Gear

If modules have crash data, a guy on ebay resets that for 50 dollars. Also use a proper scanner, using the paperclip method gives a lot of false "internal SRS module error". Mine indicated that error using paperclip and scanner gave Seatbelt and passenger airbag.

Carlos
Honda Civic 2009 EX Sedan - Royal Blue Pearl -
Honda Accord 2003 EX Sedan - Taffeta White - Sold 12/15/14
post #13 of 18 Old 11-24-2013, 07:17 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know about the part number issues?
post #14 of 18 Old 11-26-2013, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

Bump!
post #15 of 18 Old 12-03-2013, 05:44 AM
My First Post

The part number is correct. 77960 is the srs unit,Sda is the model for your yr. I have a new srs unit for a 08-09 accord and the part # is 77960-TEO-A01

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.