Wheel bearing or warped rotor? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Wheel bearing or warped rotor?

My fellow DA members,
i recently have had a problem with a very strange noise comming from the driver side rear wheel. when normal driving around 50-70mph (backroads and interstate) i hear a noise that sounds like the brake pads are touching the rotor when i make a right hand turn. When i then return back to moving straight the noise discontinues?!
Then today as i was pulling out of best buy i was slowly making a right hand turn and it sounded as if the brakes were engauged and made a real low pitch humming. (sounded like a big rig horn) and the low pitch humming happened again when braking turning right. But when i pulled the wheel off to see what was the matter everything seemed fine?
any ideas where to look?
i have a clip of the driving noise but is sorta hard to distinguish.
please help
-Sam

- 2004 Accord EX Coupe 5MT -
NightHawk Black Pearl
HFP Front Lip
Taylor Heliux Throttle Body Spacer
TSX IM
RSB
TB Bypass
P2R Thermal Gaskets
Ralco Underdrives
Stock Headunit
4% tint on doors with 15% whole front windshield
Black Housed headlights
12000k HID Lows and Highs
Black Chrome fogs with 12000K hids
Backup Camera
Full interrior L.E.D with Plate light
SwitchBack Turns
Fujita Cold Air Intake -
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-16-2011, 08:40 AM
mobiless2

Did you pull inside pad to see if it's low?

2009 ASM EX I-4 Auto 4DR: Weapon-R I Throttle/TL FSB RSB/Morimoto H1/Fogs/K40/Viper 5704/exLED 146K

2015 HM SPORT I-4 CVT 4DR: TL RSB, exLED, OEM Tweeters-LED Mirrors-LED Tail Lights, Coutesy Lights, Ambient Light Kit, 4G TL Retrofit w/TSX-R Lens, RV6 PCD, Bridgestone Potenza S-04 36K

2016 ABP Civic EX-T CVT 4DR
exLED
post #3 of 10 Old 01-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Out of Control

Wheel bearings make a roaring sort of noise. Check to see if maybe something (like the shield) has bent into the path of the wheel or rotor. If it is wheel bearings, you can usually test two ways.

1. With the car parked and wheels straight ahead. Grip the tire with both hands at opposite ends and rock vigorously with a sort of push and pull motion. If there is some play in the wheel bearing, you'll feel it as there should be no give.

2. Jack the wheel off the ground and spin it manually as fast as you can. Since it happens when you turn, have someone turn the wheel while you do this. Maybe you will be able to recreate the noise and pinpoint the source.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-16-2011, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Yes but the weird thing is that this happens from the rear right wheel which throws me off entirely. And I pulled the passenger side wheel thinking that's where the noise was conning from only now I'm 100% positive that it's the driver side

NightHawk Black Pearl
HFP Front Lip
TSX IM
RSB
TB Bypass
P2R Thermal Gaskets
Ralco Underdrives
Stock Headunit
Black Housed headlights
Backup Camera
SwitchBack Turns
Fujita Cold Air Intake -
post #5 of 10 Old 01-17-2011, 01:46 AM
3rd Gear

EricTheCarGuy has several good youtube videos, some of which focus on noises.

This video is about a bad wheel bearing:

2008 Accord LXP 4dr 4cyl 5AT
post #6 of 10 Old 01-17-2011, 05:51 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy08515 View Post
Yes but the weird thing is that this happens from the rear right wheel which throws me off entirely. And I pulled the passenger side wheel thinking that's where the noise was conning from only now I'm 100% positive that it's the driver side
Okay, jack it up then and spin the wheels by hand as fast as you can. If it's wheel bearings, you should hear something. I believe replacing wheel rear wheel bearings is a relatively simple process compared to the fronts.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-17-2011, 06:30 PM
James.uk

A warped brake disk causes brake pedal flutter....= shaking when braking..

A worn wheel bearing make a whining humming sound and a feint vibration is sometimes felt in the car..

Get the wheel off the ground and give it some violent shaking, there should be NO play whatsoever..

Honda Accord. 2.0iES 4dr automatic. 1996 'N' reg. 87.000. (Burgandy) ave mpg 21. (Best 32) SOLD.
(modified) Citroen ZX 1.9 Diesel Auto 1994 "L" reg. 100K miles, (Dark Blue), ave mpg 44. (Best 55) ECU free.
2002 Wedgewood blue. Rover 75 2.0 CDTi Conniossaur Auto ave mpg 40 (best 52) mpg. :)
post #8 of 10 Old 01-17-2011, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Their was no play and when braking their is no vibration and/or judder.
Its off to the stealership tomorrow to find the fix hopefully

NightHawk Black Pearl
HFP Front Lip
TSX IM
RSB
TB Bypass
P2R Thermal Gaskets
Ralco Underdrives
Stock Headunit
Black Housed headlights
Backup Camera
SwitchBack Turns
Fujita Cold Air Intake -
post #9 of 10 Old 01-17-2011, 07:48 PM
3rd Gear

2004 Accord with bad bearings...does not sound likely...I would travel at the specified speed you mentioned above and pull the hand brake slightly ( but not so much that you drift or spin out) to see if the noise is occuring with the brakes...keep it straight with no turning. If the noise or vibration comes, than its your rear brakes (pads and rotors).

I had a 95' Accord and had to get the bearings replaced in the front. The vibrations and slight noise was there but even when I was not braking. So I knew it was the bearings. It was changed at 130k miles.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-21-2011, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Was definatly bad brakes in the rear it also helped with my e-brake being loose.
had a switchblade key cut and the GMSFM added to the tranny. it was well worth the money lol

NightHawk Black Pearl
HFP Front Lip
TSX IM
RSB
TB Bypass
P2R Thermal Gaskets
Ralco Underdrives
Stock Headunit
Black Housed headlights
Backup Camera
SwitchBack Turns
Fujita Cold Air Intake -
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.