Brand new battery...car won't start - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 11-26-2010, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Exclamation Brand new battery...car won't start

I have recently installed a brand new battery. The car will now not turn over. I tried jumping it and nothing. There is power in the battery and in the car. I have no idea what it could be. Could it be the starter or alternator? I'm about to give up and take it in to have it serviced

Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-26-2010, 09:39 AM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to CTCoupe07
HELP! Engine wont start!!

read through that...

2007 Accord LX Coupe
Alabaster Silver 2.4L I-VTEC

What I added:

OEM Fog Light Kit
Alpine Type-S 6x9" Coaxial 3-Way Speakers
Alpine Type-S 6-1/2" Component 2-Way Speaker System
OEM "Accord" All Weather Floor Mats
OEM Splash Guards
Grillcraft MX Series Lower Grille
Viper 5101 1 Way SuperCode Remote Start System

Retired:1997 Accord EX Coupe
Traded in on 7-2-10 with 156,000 mi
post #3 of 29 Old 11-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to xJoeMama78 Send a message via MSN to xJoeMama78 Send a message via Yahoo to xJoeMama78
Could be a bad battery, starter, or fuel pump.

2008 Accord Coupe EX-L L4 Auto ASM
Clear bra | Tint | T-rex | Injen | Weapon R | Eibach | Enkei | Goodyear | SPC | H9/HIR | Hoen | LEDs | Clarion | JL | Focal | Python

1997 F-250 Crew Cab Diesel 4x4
Tymar | Diamond Eye | Bilstein | Clarion | Fosgate | JL

post #4 of 29 Old 11-26-2010, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Cool Streaky engine starts...rainn maybe?

I don't know what the deal is with my Accord. Since this morning, I've been having trouble starting my car. I couldn't get it to crank this morning. Now I can. The car has a new battery. I tried jumping it before and nothing. The lights and the interior instruments were working. The battery is brand new. I've noticed that the only times the car hasn't started is after it rains. We have been experiencing some precipitation off and on today. Could it be an eletrical issue I wonder? It could also be the starter or my fuel pump.

Is rain messing with my engine maybe?
post #5 of 29 Old 11-26-2010, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Exclamation Rain and no engine cranking?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what the deal is with my Accord. Since this morning, I've been having trouble starting my car. I couldn't get it to crank this morning. Now I can. The car has a new battery. I tried jumping it before and nothing. The lights and the interior instruments were working. The battery is brand new. I've noticed that the only times the car hasn't started is after it rains, however this is the first time it has happened with my newly installed battery. We have been experiencing some precipitation off and on today. Could it be an eletrical issue I wonder? It could also be the starter or my fuel pump.

Is rain messing with my engine maybe?
post #6 of 29 Old 11-26-2010, 09:18 PM
2nd Gear

are the terminals or wires corroded?
post #7 of 29 Old 11-26-2010, 10:04 PM
1st Gear

What led you to believe you needed a new battery in the first place? Could be the starter contacts (the ones the plunger touches to supply power to the starter motor windings). Relatively cheap fix if that is what's wrong.

You need to supply more details to help figure this out. For example, details on the car (year and miles). Do the other electronics work? Are the headlights bright? Do you hear a click when you go to start, or just nothing?
post #8 of 29 Old 11-27-2010, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

It was having difficulty starting. It would click and strain to start, but it wouldn't turn over. I was told to start with the battery. It did have corrosion on it. I dealt with the corrosion, had some friends look at it, and we tried jumping it. Nothing happened. We tried to further charge it. Still nothing. I then took the battery in to have it load tested. They told me in the auto parts store that I needed a new one. I installed the new one and it started right up.

Yesterday, I had a similar problem. I could not get it to turn over. It finally did after I let it sit for a couple of hours. The lights all worked fine while I was trying to crank it.

I haven't been able to disengage my alarm since my door lock broke about 3 or 4 months ago (my key fob battery ran out as well). I feel like that could be straining my battery somewhat.

My car has about 130,000 miles on it
post #9 of 29 Old 11-27-2010, 09:13 AM

New battery cables also. Sometimes the corrosion on the ends of the cables will extend throughout the length of the cable. Since you can't see under the protective coating it's a good preventative measure.
post #10 of 29 Old 11-27-2010, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice. Are you saying I should replace the battery cables?
post #11 of 29 Old 11-27-2010, 09:25 AM
1st Gear

You have another thread going about alarm issues.

Did you ever figure out if it was factory or aftermarket? If its aftermarket you may need to reset it after the dead battery; it could be part of the issue.
post #12 of 29 Old 11-27-2010, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

it's a factory alarm system. It came with my vehicle the day I bought it
post #13 of 29 Old 11-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne's honda25 View Post
it's a factory alarm system. It came with my vehicle the day I bought it
Because it's in the car when you bought it doesn't necessarily mean it's OEM/factory, especially IIRC you had bought the car pre-owned, so just to rule out the obvious, you had been using the factory key fob to lock/arm and unlock/disarm the facotry alarm system, right? i.e. there isn't another fob for the alarm?

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 29 Old 11-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne's honda25 View Post
I haven't been able to disengage my alarm since my door lock broke about 3 or 4 months ago (my key fob battery ran out as well). I feel like that could be straining my battery somewhat.
What you need to do is to put an ammeter in series with the battery and find out how much current is being drawn from the battery when EVERYTHING is off, i.e. leave the key out of the ignition, around 100 milli-amps isn't unusual and should not drain the battery, but if you are getting 4-500 and up then there is something draining the battery in an abnormal manner.

Check Hillstones' thread when his Dice unit was unexpectedly draining his battery, there are a lot of info in how to test this.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

post #15 of 29 Old 11-28-2010, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I bought the car brand new. That's all I can tell you about my car and the alarm system. I really need to disable it. My key fob isn't disabling my alarm, even with a new lithium battery installed in the fob. My other key is lost.

Do you think I should try purchasing a new key fob or should I have the dealership disable my alarm? I heard that replacing those key fobs will cost me around $200. I am going to do some more investigating regardless. I will find out a price from the dealership tomorrow when they are open

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.