advice installing o2 sensor - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-03-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

advice installing o2 sensor

hi all, got a po135 code front A/F o2 sensor heater circuit failure. 2007 accord auto 4 cylinder 40,000 miles. Purchased a Honda replacement sensor. I have not been under the car yet. I hope you will give me the benefit of your experience about the following questions.
1. is there clearance to use a 7/8" or 22mm wrench or O2 socket to remove the O2 sensor, or must you use a Oxygen sensor removal crowfoot locking adapter
2. does the clip that holds the O2 cable need to be replaced and/or is it difficult to open and close, and what tools should I have for the clip.
Thank you very much for your help and advice.
honjac

Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-03-2010, 08:22 PM
5th Gear

Is it the first o2 sensor (one attached to the header) or the one on the cat

I just replaced mine 3 weeks ago so the installed is fresh in my head.

post #3 of 11 Old 10-04-2010, 06:27 AM
Accord'ing

Well it depends..the o2 sensor... if you can get it off without using an o2 sensor tool you should be fine.. you just need a ratchet/flex wrench and such and make sure it doesn't affect the part surrounding the o2 sensor.. however the o2 sensor in the front behind the engine is must easier to access then the rear o2 sensor..the rear one will give you trouble and you might as well just spend the extra few bucks to purchase one...

2005 Accord Sedan 2.4L

post #4 of 11 Old 10-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Jimmy Rustler

Are you certain it is the front O2? It's more common for the rear to go first. I've never replaced a front one, just the rear, quite easy. Get the pass front wheel up on a ramp, put the pass seat all the way forward. Lift up the pre-cut flap in the carpet under the seat and disconnect the connector. There is a rubber grommet which pops out. Under the vehicle, unclip the wire and plastic shield from the rubber grommet all the way to the sensor by the cat. You will need the O2 sensor socket to remove it.

I went to Autozone and picked up the Bosch direct replacement (not universal). It appears to be identical to the stock Denso one, both made in the USA. So I think they are produced by Denso for Bosch, or vice-versa. It was $80 or so and a 20 minute job.

Edit: PO141 is the rear O2 sensor:

instrument warning light help...have pic

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old 10-04-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

hi nexon
its the o2 sensor on the downpipe (header). I appreciate your experience and advice.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-04-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

thanks for the info golftango. Very interesting about the bosch and denso sensors. maybe made in the same factory and labeled differently?
post #7 of 11 Old 10-04-2010, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

hi willi3 thank you for your advice
post #8 of 11 Old 10-04-2010, 07:14 PM
5th Gear

PO141 was the rear one, sensor 2, that i just replaced, for the front one, i recommend getting the special socet, don't see how you can fit anything in there other then the special socket.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-05-2010, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

hi nexson, yes i believe i will buy that crowfoot looking O2 sensor removal adapter before i start the job thanks for your advice
post #10 of 11 Old 10-06-2010, 07:06 AM
5th Gear

yea, then you just trace the harness. You can get to the harness from the top of the engine bay if you have long arms, it is easier.

Unplug the battery for ten minutes to reset the code.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by honjac View Post
hi nexson, yes i believe i will buy that crowfoot looking O2 sensor removal adapter before i start the job thanks for your advice
When I did mine, (lower sensor), it was so loose that I didn't need any special tools. I had borrowed the crowfooot from a mechanic friend of mine but ended up not needing it. When I mentioned the loosenesss, he said they usually came from the factory that way. Point is, try it before you $pend.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.