The firmer the shift, less the wear on clutches? AT - Drive Accord Honda Forums |
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-09-2018, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

The firmer the shift, less the wear on clutches? AT

I have heard from multiple forums and researches that "firmer the car shifts, the less wear on the clutch pads thus longer transmission life".

My questions are is that if the transmission starts shifting more firmly, doesn't that mean the damage has been already done to your the clutches? Can the transmission sense the wear and put itself into "less wear mode" by making the shifts firmer?

My car a honda accord 2006 4cyl ex with 135k doesn't have the smoothest shifting, it's very firm but still not harsh. I have tried to reset the PCM by disconnecting the negative battery cable, which has led to smoother shifts but then eventually returning to firmer shift. Does this mean the transmission is sensing the wear and thus going to "less wear mode"?

Last ATF change was 1k ago.

post #2 of 7 Old 03-09-2018, 08:19 AM

Honda used to shift "smooth" when Z1 fluid was used. Z1 fluid allowed the clutch packs to slip on purpose, resulting in smoother shifts. Then Honda changed to DW-1 semi-sync fluid, the shifts are now firmer, there is slipping. I remember when I purchased my 2007, back in 2007, after the first trans fluid change, the drain plug magnet had clutch pack debris way more than what it is now. If you install a cooler, the shifts are even firmer by the way. 275k and going, on the original V6 AT trans.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #3 of 7 Old 03-09-2018, 09:26 AM
Out of Control

Different brands of trans. fluid will give you a different shift feel. Valvoline Maxlife will give a softer shift feel than Castrol Transmax as an example. You want to be able to feel when the trans. shifts but it shouldn't be harsh. When disconnecting the neg. battery cable to reset when the trans. shifts based on your driving style (when the trans. shifts NOT how the trans. shifts), remember you may have to do it 3-4 times as the computer may take an average of your style & the previous owners. It may take up to 80 drive cycles for ea. change to take effect. As far as fluid goes, I use a real synthetic fluid (top of the line Amsoil) as opposed to a dino syn. (nothing wrong with using DW-1, I see it as a personal choice), it gives me the shift feel I was looking for, still on my orig. trans. also. At some point think about changing your inline trans. filter (Amazon best price for OEM). I wouldn't worry about any previous wear on the clutch packs as nothing can be done about it now, just keep up with the fluid changes.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 514K - 2017 EX automatic 2K

post #4 of 7 Old 03-13-2018, 07:09 AM
3rd Gear

I find the shift feel to change quiet a bit depending on how warm the car is and how the fluid is doing in the transmission. I've never really had super firm shifts once everything is heated up, but recently while cold the transmission acts quiet funky.

Once everything heats up no more issues, has been like that for years.

2004 Honda Accord EX i4 Auto - 230K miles
1990 Mazda Miata - 175K miles
post #5 of 7 Old 03-13-2018, 09:52 AM
3rd Gear

I have always felt the shifts on my 06 I4 with 157k on it. I change the fluid often and that doesn't really seem to make a difference.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-13-2018, 09:57 AM
Out of Control

I barely feel shifts and I change fluid all the time.

2005 EX-L Sedan, i4 + Automatic. over 185K and counting. runs like a clock.
V6 TL-S fsb/rsb
V6 battery upgrade
V6 strut bar
Weathertech floor liners
Tinted windows
New vtec gasket
New dipstick o-rings (thanks qman)
Penzoil Platinum 0W20
Fram ultra synthetic oil filter
Supertech -20*F washer fluid

Most meticulously maintained accord on this site

An interference engine is one which interferes with your wallet if you don't keep a solid timing belt in it. -qman
post #7 of 7 Old 03-13-2018, 10:06 AM
Out of Control

That may be true but when you start slamming things you get wear in other places.

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.