Goodbye to my 2004 Honda Accord 6-6 (plus a question) - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 02-12-2018, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Goodbye to my 2004 Honda Accord 6-6 (plus a question)

Hi everyone,

[Backstory]
I've decided that it's finally time to sell my 2004 Honda Accord 6-6 in favour of something else. I bought my Accord used six years ago, and right from the jump there were a host of mechanical issues. I found out soon after that the car was consuming oil, and that the high rate of consumption was affecting other components of the car. Over the past six years i've experienced an ongoing issue where the EGR system would clog up, stalling the car whenever I put the car into neutral. Although this would happen infrequently and intermittently, it would keep me on my toes whenever I would allow the engine to drop down to idle. Thankfully, I've always been able to re-start the engine after a few tries when this would happen, but recently this was not the case. Most recently, I was traveling on a busy highway when the car stalled out on an off-ramp. At first I was able to restart the engine, but the engine would immediately stall out if I wasn't revving the engine to keep it going. After stalling out, I could no longer get the engine to turn over, so I ended up calling for a tow truck. To make a long story short, I brought the car to my mechanic, and he indicated that it's not going to be cheap to get my car running (and trustworthy) again. In fact, the only way to truly fix the problem is to replace the engine.

[The important part]
I've decided not to invest in a serious repair, as it may be advantageous to look at other options. At the moment, i'm considering another 7th generation Accord (specifically a LX coupe with the 2.4 litre engine and a five-speed manual), or maybe even a late 2000's Civic. Are Honda Accords paired with a 5 speed manual transmission and a 2.4 litre engine a pretty safe bet for avoiding another mess? The issues i've had with my Accord are likely attributed to the previous owner abusing it, or even racing it, so I would think that the 4 cylinder engine would be a turn-off for anyone who wants to push the car beyond it's limits. Any thoughts?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read my thread. Even with the problems, I've still had a lot of fun owning my Accord over the years. If you have any advice for what I should do, feel free to share it! Thanks to everyone for your help over the years. Hopefully i'll be able to get another Accord (albeit in better condition), and i'll simply be able to update my signature!

All the best.

2004 Accord V-6 EX, Satin Silver, 6 speed M/T
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-13-2018, 02:00 AM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazio767 View Post
Hi everyone,

[Backstory]
I've decided that it's finally time to sell my 2004 Honda Accord 6-6 in favour of something else. I bought my Accord used six years ago, and right from the jump there were a host of mechanical issues. I found out soon after that the car was consuming oil, and that the high rate of consumption was affecting other components of the car. Over the past six years i've experienced an ongoing issue where the EGR system would clog up, stalling the car whenever I put the car into neutral. Although this would happen infrequently and intermittently, it would keep me on my toes whenever I would allow the engine to drop down to idle. Thankfully, I've always been able to re-start the engine after a few tries when this would happen, but recently this was not the case. Most recently, I was traveling on a busy highway when the car stalled out on an off-ramp. At first I was able to restart the engine, but the engine would immediately stall out if I wasn't revving the engine to keep it going. After stalling out, I could no longer get the engine to turn over, so I ended up calling for a tow truck. To make a long story short, I brought the car to my mechanic, and he indicated that it's not going to be cheap to get my car running (and trustworthy) again. In fact, the only way to truly fix the problem is to replace the engine.

[The important part]
I've decided not to invest in a serious repair, as it may be advantageous to look at other options. At the moment, i'm considering another 7th generation Accord (specifically a LX coupe with the 2.4 litre engine and a five-speed manual), or maybe even a late 2000's Civic. Are Honda Accords paired with a 5 speed manual transmission and a 2.4 litre engine a pretty safe bet for avoiding another mess? The issues i've had with my Accord are likely attributed to the previous owner abusing it, or even racing it, so I would think that the 4 cylinder engine would be a turn-off for anyone who wants to push the car beyond it's limits. Any thoughts?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read my thread. Even with the problems, I've still had a lot of fun owning my Accord over the years. If you have any advice for what I should do, feel free to share it! Thanks to everyone for your help over the years. Hopefully i'll be able to get another Accord (albeit in better condition), and i'll simply be able to update my signature!

All the best.
Parsley, I would have the oil control Rings replaced on a V6 engine before I would buy a 4-cylinder. The four cylinders are known to burn oil if not taken care of properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

Das Chicken likes this.

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 20xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
post #3 of 32 Old 02-13-2018, 04:12 AM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,004 Times in 758 Posts
You should be able to get an engine from a bone yard for under a grand then have an indie mechanic do the install for about a grand.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 Old 02-13-2018, 06:20 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiller fan View Post
Parsley, I would have the oil control Rings replaced on a V6 engine before I would buy a 4-cylinder.
And yet you sport this sig...."2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiller fan View Post
The four cylinders are known to burn oil if not taken care of properly.
Ironically, that's exactly why he is selling the V6.

Bad maintenance has no prejudice toward cylinder count. It wears out any engine. Notice how meek Jimi's response was... didn't even use his favorite word..."hemorrhage" here.

OP, buy a car from an owner who had good maintenance habits. Watch out for those glazed dipsticks with dirt and cobwebs on em.
qman likes this.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
post #5 of 32 Old 02-13-2018, 06:23 AM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew03Accord View Post
Says the guy with this in his sig...."2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)"

Ironically, that's why he is selling the V6. Bad maintenance has no prejudice toward cylinder count. It wears out any engine.
I would argue that the newer-designed K series 4 cylinder tends to consume oil more often than the J series, mainly due to the oil control rings.

I could be wrong though...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 20xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
post #6 of 32 Old 02-13-2018, 07:15 AM
4th Gear

Check the mid gen refresh, a 06,or 07. the I4 mauals seems to come up from time to time.
Mine has some very minor quirks, but engine and trans are solid at 160k. My i4 burns no oil.

Former:
1984 Olds Cutlass(1st car)
1991 Taurus wagon (LOL)
1995 Mitsu eclipse- GSX
2002 Honda Civic(RIP AUTO-TRANS)
2008 Honda Accord LX (Traded-Oil burner)

Current:
2007 Honda Accord EX-L(His)
2016 Honda Accord EX-L(Hers)
post #7 of 32 Old 02-13-2018, 07:26 AM

You bought a car that was abused so you had to live with that consequence. My cousin with his 2003 I4 Accord, less than 200k miles, ran low on oil until the low oil pressure light came on with the engine shaking, no oil registered on the stick when he took it to a shop. When that happened, the chain stretched with a crank position sensor error. Engine was out of time because of the stretched chain. It cost him over $1000 to fix.

I just went past 275k miles on my V6, still not burning any oil, no issue with anything engine or transmission-wise.

Morale of the story, what happened to your car will happen on ANY engine when not taken care of. And the cost for the repair supersedes WAY OVER what you would spend on regular maintenance.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #8 of 32 Old 02-13-2018, 08:28 AM
2006 Accord EX

Quote:
The issues i've had with my Accord are likely attributed to the previous owner abusing it, or even racing it, so I would think that the 4 cylinder engine would be a turn-off for anyone who wants to push the car beyond it's limits. Any thoughts?
Do not agree.
If the car's been abused it doesn't matter whether it's a 4 or a 6, as I've seen just as many 4 cylinder Accords with the snot beat out of them, as anything else it's the owner/driver, not the car.
We just took in a 150K mi., 6cyl. Accord here at my dealership, an Acura dealer...that's been taken care of...and I've also seen 4 cyl. Hondas I would not give you $100 for.

Quote:
All the best.
My advice is simple: look for a car you LIKE to drive....Honda, Toyota, whatever... that's been well taken care of, and don't shop on price point alone, especially if it's a vehicle you want to own for a while.
Sometimes, a bargain isn't a bargain.
Hondas cost more on the retail market because(if taken care of!) they last. Period.

2006 Accord EX Coupe...164k and counting..
post #9 of 32 Old 02-13-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew03Accord View Post
And yet you sport this sig...."2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)"

Ironically, that's exactly why he is selling the V6.

Bad maintenance has no prejudice toward cylinder count. It wears out any engine. Notice how meek Jimi's response was... didn't even use his favorite word..."hemorrhage" here.

OP, buy a car from an owner who had good maintenance habits. Watch out for those glazed dipsticks with dirt and cobwebs on em.
I know it's always a lottery when you buy a used car, but I will definitely be more careful this time around when I'm looking. I will say, however, I would have to have some of the worst luck ever to buy a car with all of the same problems that my current Accord has. I will (hopefully) checking out a one-owner Accord being sold at a Honda dealer later this week. I noticed there are many i4s at some of the lower end dealerships, but i'm apprehensive about buying anything from those places.

Not to mention, I'll pay extra for the return policy so I can bring it back if my mechanic finds problems, or I find that it burns oil.

post #10 of 32 Old 02-13-2018, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
You bought a car that was abused so you had to live with that consequence. My cousin with his 2003 I4 Accord, less than 200k miles, ran low on oil until the low oil pressure light came on with the engine shaking, no oil registered on the stick when he took it to a shop. When that happened, the chain stretched with a crank position sensor error. Engine was out of time because of the stretched chain. It cost him over $1000 to fix.

I just went past 275k miles on my V6, still not burning any oil, no issue with anything engine or transmission-wise.

Morale of the story, what happened to your car will happen on ANY engine when not taken care of. And the cost for the repair supersedes WAY OVER what you would spend on regular maintenance.
This is why I look forward to being able to buy a new car in the future. When it's new, you know that you've taken care of it and you don't expect anything to go wrong. My friend has a 2004 Accord as well, and he's never had an issue with it because it was passed down from his father (who maintained it properly).

post #11 of 32 Old 02-13-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Accordz View Post
Do not agree.
If the car's been abused it doesn't matter whether it's a 4 or a 6, as I've seen just as many 4 cylinder Accords with the snot beat out of them, as anything else it's the owner/driver, not the car.
We just took in a 150K mi., 6cyl. Accord here at my dealership, an Acura dealer...that's been taken care of...and I've also seen 4 cyl. Hondas I would not give you $100 for.

My advice is simple: look for a car you LIKE to drive....Honda, Toyota, whatever... that's been well taken care of, and don't shop on price point alone, especially if it's a vehicle you want to own for a while.
Sometimes, a bargain isn't a bargain.
Hondas cost more on the retail market because(if taken care of!) they last. Period.
That makes sense. I think i'm weary of the V6 now because of what happened. I also suspect the previous owner bought the 6-6 to use for street racing. For that reason, I thought it might be safer to stick close to the smaller engine, but I guess there is no "safe bet". I am trying to stay a little on the cheaper side as I'm still a student at the moment, and I only need the car to last two more years. As I stated in an earlier post, I'll be checking out the absolute bone-base model 2006 Accord this week, and it sounds like it's been maintained perfectly (one owner). They're asking 6,500, which seems appropriate. There is another Accord for sale at a lower end dealership (the EX model with leather), and they are asking only 5,000, which throws up a red flag for me.

post #12 of 32 Old 02-13-2018, 11:03 AM
Out of Control

Don't go LX bro. Stick with the EX and hold out for an EX with leather (EX-L) if you can.

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.
The Following User Says Thank You to qman For This Useful Post:
scar_cle (02-13-2018)
post #13 of 32 Old 02-13-2018, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Don't go LX bro. Stick with the EX and hold out for an EX with leather (EX-L) if you can.
I know the LX is a big step down from my EX, but would the difference be that noticeable?

post #14 of 32 Old 02-13-2018, 12:15 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
I know the LX is a big step down from my EX, but would the difference be that noticeable?
It was to me. Test drive one. All the little things in the EX don't seem like much til they're gone. The car had a junky feel to it. My wife has an EX without leather and it's still a nice car. I can't even remember what was missing from the LX I drove but it made a difference. Plus, price isn't that much different.

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.
post #15 of 32 Old 02-13-2018, 12:39 PM
one step ahead of you

I know you have a 6-6....but my 5-4, 4-5?? had that issue of stalling under braking unless I kept the RPMs up. Pulled throttle body and cleaned her out; solved said problem. Was worth a few beers and a TB gasket

04 Honda Accord Coupe, 5 speed, Satin Silver
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.