Honda accord 2006 shift logic?? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 02-11-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Living in California Sacramento, where speed limit is 80% all 45mph.

Every morning on my way to school, my car a 06 accord 4cyl will shift into 5th gear at 45mph (which is also the speed limit) and then also the torque converter will engage and then the engine would have a mild bass sound to it because of the low rpm and high gear plus torque converter.

I don't go over the speed limit so I stay at 45mph, I have tested going 52mph, and the car sounds normal and same goes for speeds lower than 42mph. I think the TCM gets confused wheather to stay in 5th or 4th and that's what causes the mild bass sound. ( give me your opinions on this).

What are the negative affects of transmission shifting into 5th gear at 45mph and at the same time, I am maintaining the speed of 45mph?

I have heard people had this issue on the crvs and they took into the dealer and the dealer programed the computer to Hit 5th gear at 55mph rather than 45mph and the results were that their car sound normal.

Real question: should I leave this alone or should I try going to the dealer and maybe try getting this programing done?

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated. (no hard feelings)

Car: Honda accord 2006 4cyl 133k.
Transmission fluid changed accordingly. Every 10k. Transmission filter changed 3k ago.

Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-11-2018, 11:10 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Hence why I drive a stick...

Seriously, though, what's the RPM the car has at 45MPH in 5th?

When I had my 8th Gen V6 5AT, it usually keeps the RPM low, but it usually still keeps it above 1200RPM.

I haven't heard people changing auto transmission shift point at a dealer... That's a thing?

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old 02-12-2018, 06:18 AM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,004 Times in 758 Posts
Leave it alone

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 Old 02-12-2018, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Hence why I drive a stick...

Seriously, though, what's the RPM the car has at 45MPH in 5th?

When I had my 8th Gen V6 5AT, it usually keeps the RPM low, but it usually still keeps it above 1200RPM.

I haven't heard people changing auto transmission shift point at a dealer... That's a thing?
Rpms in 5th gear with torque converter engaged at 45mph are about 1800rpms.

And bro i honestly didn't know that dealerships could flash your computer to change shift points.

I also tried removing the negative terminal off my battery so that they car can relearn shift points but no luck. This kinda sucks because 45mph is just way too early for 5th gear plus torque converter to be locked....
post #5 of 26 Old 02-12-2018, 07:18 AM
5th Gear

My 07 does the same thing; loud engine hum almost seems like it's packing a subwoofer up front. And just as you describe, it does this sound right past 45 mph if I'm slightly stepping on gas pedal. It's more noticeable if the car happens to be traveling at that speed and at a slight hill, where it puts engine under load before transmission decides to upshift into lower gear.

Interestingly, the 04 I had before didn't make that sound at all under same conditions. It was almost quiet as a feather. I thought it was because the 07 I have now has regular 48-state DOHC engine instead of California-emissions SULEV, and it almost made me regret buying it not knowing what else to expect.

But anywho... You're not the only one... It does act like there's a subwoofer under the hood....

2007 Honda Accord EX Sedan I4 auto
Self-installed Viper 2-way remote starter alarm
96k miles as of 12/3/2017
post #6 of 26 Old 02-12-2018, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Confused View Post
My 07 does the same thing; loud engine hum almost seems like it's packing a subwoofer up front. And just as you describe, it does this sound right past 45 mph if I'm slightly stepping on gas pedal. It's more noticeable if the car happens to be traveling at that speed and at a slight hill, where it puts engine under load before transmission decides to upshift into lower gear.

Interestingly, the 04 I had before didn't make that sound at all under same conditions. It was almost quiet as a feather. I thought it was because the 07 I have now has regular 48-state DOHC engine instead of California-emissions SULEV, and it almost made me regret buying it not knowing what else to expect.

But anywho... You're not the only one... It does act like there's a subwoofer under the hood....
Funny thing is that this is just a sound. The car doesn't vibrate when this happens. Does yours vibrate bro?
post #7 of 26 Old 02-12-2018, 08:16 AM
Out of Control

Garage
Drive in D3. D3 keeps the transmission out of 4th and 5th gears.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
post #8 of 26 Old 02-12-2018, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Naw man, the rpms are way too high for d3 at 45mph. Funny thing is I got my tire balanced and changed my oil back to conventional from synthetic blend to maybe see if that will fix this probem. But no luck. After researching this is normal for these cars and you kinda just have to live it.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-12-2018, 09:11 AM
Out of Control

Garage
I've driven in D3 at 80 mph, about 4,500 rpm's if I remember right. Still nowhere near redline. You'll be fine.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
post #10 of 26 Old 02-12-2018, 09:23 AM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,004 Times in 758 Posts
D3 or live with the grocery getter and take a vantage of the fuel mileage as a result of the way they programmed your i4 trans. Get a louder stereo or put sound deadener throughout that mofo and under the hood. Trade for a stick or a different car that has manual sport mode like my caddy does.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #11 of 26 Old 02-12-2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

I wonder if this is a only i4 thing? Does anyone here with a v6 have this?
post #12 of 26 Old 02-12-2018, 10:25 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtecsalwan View Post
Funny thing is that this is just a sound. The car doesn't vibrate when this happens. Does yours vibrate bro?
No vibration. Just the sound.

I thought once it was probably engine or transmission mounts, but car doesn't vibrate.

2007 Honda Accord EX Sedan I4 auto
Self-installed Viper 2-way remote starter alarm
96k miles as of 12/3/2017
post #13 of 26 Old 02-12-2018, 10:43 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
That is normal.
post #14 of 26 Old 02-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:

And bro i honestly didn't know that dealerships could flash your computer to change shift points.

I also tried removing the negative terminal off my battery so that they car can relearn shift points but no luck. This kinda sucks because 45mph is just way too early for 5th gear plus torque converter to be locked....
That's pretty normal RPM to go at for an Accord I4. If you are going at constant speed, I don't see the need to keep the engine above ~2200RPM.

When I had my stick shift Corolla, sometimes I would actually shift into 5th at 40MPH when there is no traffic. That drops the RPM to 1200ish RPM and the car still runs okay.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #15 of 26 Old 02-12-2018, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Anyone here got any sort of suggestion of this? Don't really feel like paying the dealer money to change shift points....

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.