• 1 Post By Miker
  • 1 Post By spiritof76
  • 2 Post By I am Confused
  • 2 Post By I am Confused
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-11-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Pothole versus the car

Tonight traveling back from an event, I hit what felt like a massive pothole at approximately 45 mph at front right tire. It felt sufficiently deep that the CD changer stopped playing completely, and the radio shut itself off.

Another motorist directly ahead of me also hit same pothole, but this fellow lost the front right tire. Unfortunately I didn't react to his/her sudden slowdown with sufficient time to avoid it, and realized too late after I rolled past it.

Brief inspection of front tire reveals huge bulge out of sidewall and small scruff on wheel, so I know tire is totaled.

What I'm wondering is what further damage should I be weary about.

Car feels fine. No noise and it still drives straight.

Any pointers are appreciated.

2007 Honda Accord EX Sedan I4 auto
Self-installed Viper 2-way remote starter alarm
96k miles as of 12/3/2017
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-11-2018, 04:38 PM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Confused View Post
Tonight traveling back from an event, I hit what felt like a massive pothole at approximately 45 mph at front right tire. It felt sufficiently deep that the CD changer stopped playing completely, and the radio shut itself off.

Another motorist directly ahead of me also hit same pothole, but this fellow lost the front right tire. Unfortunately I didn't react to his/her sudden slowdown with sufficient time to avoid it, and realized too late after I rolled past it.

Brief inspection of front tire reveals huge bulge out of sidewall and small scruff on wheel, so I know tire is totaled.

What I'm wondering is what further damage should I be weary about.

Car feels fine. No noise and it still drives straight.

Any pointers are appreciated.
Possibly bent rim, cracked rim (although loss of air would show up if cracked). Ball joints, shocks may have popped their seal (look for leaking) 7th gens have shocks with wishbone or McPherson struts?

What size tires? OEM ? low profile ?

You've already surmised that both tires need to be replaced if there are many miles on them already.

Have the alignment checked too. That'll indicate any bent components. Although the car drives straight, I'd still have the alignment looked at professionally before placing 100's of dollars of rubber on the car.

slimm1469 likes this.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #3 of 12 Old 02-11-2018, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Tires are about 5,000 miles old. No idea what kind of struts it has.

I'm not worried about replacing a new tire. But I am weary of possible front-end damage, if any. It drives fine, but I can't tell from driving if damage is more extensive than just bad tire.

It's OEM 16-inch wheel with Kumho radial all-seasons. It would be entirely possible that I would have lost the tire if I was driving low profile. The fellow in front of me certainly did.

Tire bulge. This wheel was already fairly scuffed up around the edges when I first bought the car.

I rubbed my finger around the wheel edge where the tire bulge is. Can't really tell if it's just another nasty scuff.
Attached Images

Last edited by namegoeshere; 02-18-2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: merge

post #4 of 12 Old 02-11-2018, 05:51 PM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,004 Times in 758 Posts
Quote:
realized too late after I rolled right into it.
fixed it for ya

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-11-2018, 05:56 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Tire bulge. This wheel was already fairly scuffed up around the edges when I first bought the car.

I rubbed my finger around the wheel edge where the tire bulge is. Can't really tell if it's just another nasty scuff.
I once hit a pot hole in NYC. My tire looked just like that. After replacing with a new tire, the rim was ok.

You might want to do a front end check. That much force could damage some suspension parts, such as compliance bushing.

BTW, not sure about the laws in NYC. You might be able to sue NYC for pothole damages.

2007 Accord EX-L V6 Alabaster Silver
2016 Audi Q5 3.0T Premium Plus w/Tech Pkg
Previously:
2005 Honda Accord Hybrid ()
1989 Honda Accord DX ()
1985 Honda Accord ()
post #6 of 12 Old 02-11-2018, 05:59 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
I'm not worried about replacing a new tire. But I am weary of possible front-end damage, if any. It drives fine, but I can't tell from driving if damage is more extensive than just bad tire.
For shocks/struts you should try driving over speed humps and other bumpy features to see if you can sense a difference in the response between two sides, also listen for noises that indicate loose or broken components in the assembly such as mounts.

Then jack up the front of the car so the tires are off the ground. and grab the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and push with one and and pull with the other back and forth checking for any looseness or play. That will check the tie rod, and if you feel movement and hear clicking, your inner tie rod is likely bad. Repeat on the opposite side for comparison. If you replace the inner tie rod I would probably replace the outer one as well.
Then grab the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and check for looseness associated with the ball joint in the lower control arm. You can also slip a large pry bar under the tire and pull up to see if the ball joint has any play.

Remove the tires, also check the sway bar links for side to side play. If you can move them with your hand they are bad. Then grab the outer tie rod and see if it has play. Look at the shock/strut for oil leakage and any obvious mechanical damage.

Look at the ball joint boots and tie rod boots for tearing/damage.

Check out these videos

slimm1469 likes this.

2005 Accord I4 EX-L Sedan 145k miles
post #7 of 12 Old 02-11-2018, 06:15 PM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
If you take it to a tire/wheel shop, they can replace the tire and check the wheel for you. Better safe than sorry; I'd rather have a professional take a look at something like that.

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #8 of 12 Old 02-11-2018, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Thanks for the info guys

I plan returning to the shop where I had tires installed and aligned. That way they can check what all of you have suggested. The mechanic I use is honest, but better to know beforehand what I should expect so I'm not taken for a ride.

I'll have to wait until replacement tire comes in the mail, so probably by this week's end.

Is it safe to drive in stop-and-go traffic like this?

post #9 of 12 Old 02-12-2018, 05:24 AM
3rd Gear

Ran over a pothole with my 2004 SRT-4 in my youth. The tire had a bulge and when I pushed on it it leaked air and tire sealant. It didn't leak when I was driving so I didn't care much to replace it. After all it was just a Neon!
post #10 of 12 Old 02-12-2018, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Very smart

I sought tire repair shop but none were open this morning. Braved short 5-mile drive this morning in stop-go traffic without incident.

Hopefully I didn't burn through one cat life doing that before getting to a shop this evening. But car drives like it did before running over that pothole; no clunking noises or car swaying by itself.

post #11 of 12 Old 02-12-2018, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Took it to tire shop. Fellow looked at bulge on tire and was shocked it didn't pop.

Me too.

Wheel didn't suffer anything beyond the scuff. Thank goodness. Had tire shop install used tire and got on my way.

True test will be later in the week when I receive replacement new tire, and take it to mechanic for install, alignment, and front end inspection.
Miker and enne like this.

post #12 of 12 Old 02-18-2018, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Took it to mechanic yesterday.

I'm one blessed, lucky duck. No front end damage.

Had new Kumho tire installed, balanced, and had mechanic do alignment again. Good to go.

Sometime ago I took my ole man's MDX to same mechanic for new rubber all around. My Xmas gift to him, his tires were extremely f'ed up. Ole man says he felt vibration from the front at 60mph and above ever since. Mechanic found play at front right, it was bad tie rod.

Let's see if vibration is gone at this point.
jimijam and Miker like this.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.