Bulb replacement for seat heater switch - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-21-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Bulb replacement for seat heater switch

Has anybody cracked open the seat heater switch module? The bulb for the driver's side switch died again. The unit was previously replaced under warranty. Warranty is now up. Curious if anyone has done this and how difficult it is (i.e., any soldering involved). Thanks.

2004 Accord Coupe V6 6MT w/Nav, Satin Silver, JL TR-600-CXis, TR690-TXis, + PowerWedge PWM110-WX, USASpec PA15 HON2, ATE rotors and ceramic pads
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-21-2010, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear

this should help you out: Heated seat problem

post #3 of 13 Old 08-22-2010, 10:55 AM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

It is as easy as changing any light bulb in your house. There are three bulbs in the switch. Two identical bulbs for the lo/high on indicators, and a larger bulb for the button illumination. Pull the trim panel around your transmission, just pull it up with your hand. Disconnect each switch. Use a phillips head and remove the switch from the trim panel. Use a small flathead screwdriver and quarter-turn the dead bulb to remove it. Replace with new bulb. Test the bulb before reassembling.

Other bulbs that will also go out are the sunroof and TCS/VSA switch. Same procedure for replacing the bulbs. Just drop that lower dash panel and release the tabs from behind the dash to pop the switches out.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-22-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

awesome. thanks guys. I'll remember to search next time

2004 Accord Coupe V6 6MT w/Nav, Satin Silver, JL TR-600-CXis, TR690-TXis, + PowerWedge PWM110-WX, USASpec PA15 HON2, ATE rotors and ceramic pads
post #5 of 13 Old 08-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Out of Control

btw u can get the exact same replacement bulbs at radioshack for $2 for a set of 2 bulbs. much cheaper than dealer.

2007 Acura TL Type-S
post #6 of 13 Old 08-23-2010, 04:59 AM
Hollaway24

can you use a colored bulb instead of yellow

TEXAS TOUGH
post #7 of 13 Old 08-23-2010, 06:07 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboy42190 View Post
btw u can get the exact same replacement bulbs at radioshack for $2 for a set of 2 bulbs. much cheaper than dealer.
??? OMG!! I just spent $22 on three bulbs from the dealer. (2 heated seat switch bulbs and one sunroof switch bulb)

2004 Honda Accord LX-i4 Sedan
Mod list can be found here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom mod:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY - 7th Gen I4 Drive Belt Replacement

post #8 of 13 Old 08-24-2010, 02:00 AM
Out of Control

Type in 12v microlamp on radioshack website and you will find the part I am referring to. By getting the bulbs from radioshack you end up spending about 3 extra minutes fitting the new bulb in but I think it's worth it. Btw the color is not from the bulb itself, it's from an orange cover that wraps over the bulb

2007 Acura TL Type-S
post #9 of 13 Old 08-24-2010, 04:21 AM
Hollaway24

Thanks Paperboy for light color info

TEXAS TOUGH
post #10 of 13 Old 08-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Out of Control

one of these days im gonna take some pics and write up a DIY on changing the light bulbs on 7th gen accords. it seems like people are asking questions about this all the time and the solution is so cheap and simple

2007 Acura TL Type-S
post #11 of 13 Old 08-25-2010, 12:33 AM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboy42190 View Post
one of these days im gonna take some pics and write up a DIY on changing the light bulbs on 7th gen accords. it seems like people are asking questions about this all the time and the solution is so cheap and simple
Or, people can just remove the switch and see the bulb staring at them in the face and just replace it. Replacement bulbs are under Electrical/Switch at any online Honda parts store. Or, use an alternative from radio shack.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-10-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

so i went with from the shack for $1.79. (thanks paperboy) They are 12V 60mA. Honda calls for 14V 40mA. I always thought that using a lower rated bulb would blow it out? Any one able to explain electricity to me?

Also, maybe this is obvious to others, but I took a minute trying to remove the module that houses the bulbs from the casing before i realized that the sticker on the side was covering the bulb housings. I noticed my right heater switch did not have a sticker. Maybe the sticker is the newer design as the left switch was replaced on 06 under warranty. The right one is original. Turn the housing for the bulb about a 1/4 turn and then pop it out with your fingers. After running the wire through the connectors you can wrap it 1 or 2 times around the edge and snip off the rest.

Also, don't forget to remove the rubber orange casing on the old bulb and put it on the new one. I thought it was a painted bulb at first.

post #13 of 13 Old 09-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Sponsored by ambition

well, if the bulb is designed for 12v/60mA then you are putting in a 0.72 watt bulb in a slot designed for 0.56 watts. While that itself is no issue, you will likely find your bulb will light brighter than intended (shortening the life) and will pull more amperage than Honda designed the connection for. I doubt the amperage will be an issue but for bulbs it is better to get a higher voltage bulb than the voltage that feeds it (it only lights dimmer than it otherwise would) but a higher voltage would have been a brighter bulb than the original anyway, so it should work out.

Um... I rambled a bit: your 12V bulb will have a shortened lifespan, bottom line.

Do not tell me it cannot be done just because it is difficult.

2005 Accord Hybrid: Desert Mist Metallic
Honda Navigation System: INSTALLED
Black Leather Upholstered Dash: COMPLETE
TL Center Console:90%
CarPC: 30%
Black Suede Headliner: *delayed*
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.