Strange Intermittent - elect, computer, or transmission related - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-13-2018, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
DMD
1st Gear

Strange Intermittent - elect, computer, or transmission related

Hi All,
New to forums. But have a very strange issue with my 2003 V6 honda accord. Doesn't happen but once a day or so. But not a good situation when driving on a major road.

History: New transmission rebuilt 8 months ago. 210K miles. New starter, new alternator, new battery within past year.

Driving along, and generally when transmission is shifting, the drive lamp (little green light by D) goes out, and generally one of the following things happen: 1. transmission acts like its in neutral 2. Car starts jerking 3. Engine just quits. Generally no codes. Within seconds, lamp comes back on and runs normal as usual. Sometimes I've gotten 68-1, or some other strange ones. Check engine lamp not on.

I'm suspicious that the computer is loosing power. One time when the engine quit, code reader could not communicate with computer. After jumping with another car, I heard a click, and computer came to life. When the drive lamp goes out, NEVER do I lose power to anything else. Radio, heater, and all function and never seem to cut out.

I've been driving this car with this problem for months, no real correlation to temperature or vibration.
I'm stumped, and my mechanic wants hours to troubleshoot. Says no codes, so I can't do anything.

I'm an electrical engineer, so I can handle most things. Biggest issue is finding electrical drawings, and just me never having car experience. I don't know the interaction of transmission and electrical system. Does the computer tell it when to shift?

I've banged on every relay, key switch, and cable harnesses I could find. I swapped the ignition coil and computer power relays.

thanks, for any troubleshooting tips.

Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-13-2018, 03:46 PM
2nd Gear

It could very possibly be the computer. In your car the TCM (transmission control module) is built into the actual computer (PCM).

Questions for you:

1. Does this happen when you go over bumps or rough road?
2. Does it happen in particular weather conditions?
3. Have checked the level and the condition of the transmission fluid?
4. Have you open the hood and checked all of the wiring that goes to the transmission?

post #3 of 5 Old 01-13-2018, 06:06 PM
BRWNFLSH now

My 03 V6 would do some strange things when the battery was weak. I would start the car, and the P (for Park) light would be out, and the AC would blow warm air, even though the engine started just fine. All sorts of communication errors would show up. Then I had a loose battery cable, and the engine would just shut off and back on when going around a turn while braking. Make sure the battery is good, and the cables are tight.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far

post #4 of 5 Old 01-13-2018, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
DMD
1st Gear

Vtecsalwan:
Yes, someone else I was speaking with suggested possibly the computer. I'm holding that one for last, since the cost pretty much totals the value of the car.
To your questions: 1 & 2: I have not correlated any conditions with bumps, or weather conditions whatsoever. Seems to be random. 3: the transmission was just rebuilt in April. And for the first few months checked the fluid. Good suggestion to check again. 4: I've checked most wiring, but not under the hood at the transmission. Will do.

BLCKFLSH:
I may check the battery cables again. I did measure voltages before replacing the alternator last week. close to 12 (maybe even 11.9) when off and been parked for a while. Normal above 14 when engine on. I replaced it because it was making some noise and the bearings were going.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-14-2018, 06:17 PM
2nd Gear

Take it to autozone and have them load test your battery and the alternator.
Advertisement

Tags
computer, ecu, electrical, pcm, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.