Power Steering pump on 2004 Accord 4cyl - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
8Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 01-13-2018, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Power Steering pump on 2004 Accord 4cyl

PS pump is leaking on 2004 EXL Accord 4cyl with 192,000 miles. PS pump is original. I replaced O-ring about 6 month ago on a lower hose. Today I heard noise from PS again and PS fluid was on a lower setting. I just added PS fluid again and planning to go to Honda dealership to buy both O-rings (on high pressure hose and one that was replaced before).

Attached are pics of the PS pump. Looks there is quite a bit of oil on it? Would you recommend to replace PS pump and high pressure hose considering the mileage or should I just replace O-rings, try to clean pump a bit to see if it's leaking again?
I'm not sure how to diagnose if PS pump needs to be replaced.

Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-13-2018, 11:40 AM
2nd Gear

Hey bro,

I had the same issue ok my accord. All you have to do is replace the o rings. Use 10m to take the hose off from the pump and then pick the old ring out and put the new one in. (lube the new o ring with PS fluid and then insert). Also make sure that both hoses are attached fully to the resvior and the pump. After replacing the o rings, turn the car on and turn the steering wheel lock to lock to remove the air from the system.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vtecsalwan For This Useful Post:
Rudi (01-13-2018)
post #3 of 26 Old 01-13-2018, 11:41 AM
Out of Control

Have you ever fully changed the fluid or gotten a flush done ? Ever used a different kind of fluid ? Sometimes the hoses can split on the ends, may want to first try replacing both hoses with new O rings & clamps after doing a flush. Prestone Honda/Acura fluid would be OK for the flush ($2.50 ea. Walmart). I am on my orig. PS pump 509K, I get a flush done every 30K though.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 510K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
The Following User Says Thank You to KW2004Accord For This Useful Post:
Rudi (01-13-2018)

post #4 of 26 Old 01-13-2018, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Vtecsalwan & KW2004Accord, Thank you!

The PS fluid flush done at 77k & 165k miles w/Honda PS fluid.

I bought O-rings today, but not yet changed them. I think I misdiagnosed the noise when turning the wheel.
It looks like, the tie rod end rubber? is not in good shape. I'm attaching pics from front left and right sides.
Is this what's called tie rod end bushings?
Attached Images
post #5 of 26 Old 01-13-2018, 06:07 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
.... I think I misdiagnosed the noise when turning the wheel.
It looks like, the tie rod end rubber? is not in good shape. I'm attaching pics from front left and right sides.
Is this what's called tie rod end bushings?
That is the front shock absorber bushing (strut bushing) on the lower control arm (1 of 3 bushings in it). If this bushing is busted, the compliance bushing probably is busted too.

2007 Accord EX-L V6 Alabaster Silver
2016 Audi Q5 3.0T Premium Plus w/Tech Pkg
Previously:
2005 Honda Accord Hybrid ()
1989 Honda Accord DX ()
1985 Honda Accord ()
The Following User Says Thank You to visionguru For This Useful Post:
Rudi (01-13-2018)
post #6 of 26 Old 01-13-2018, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

visionguru, thank you!

both front control arms were replaced back in 2014 when the car had 151k miles. i bought moog brand and indie mechanic installed them for $200.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-13-2018, 09:21 PM
Out of Control

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 510K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
post #8 of 26 Old 01-14-2018, 07:48 AM

That's the bushing that the front shock absorber's lower fork goes through, and it looks like your mechanic installed the new arm with new bushings but did not pre-load the suspension or wait until the car is on the ground to torque down the bolts. This causes that bushing to twist once you lower the car onto the ground. The bushing just twists itself to death and breaks shortly after. The proper way to torque down that specific bolt, is to leave that bolt loosely tightened, then have the front end on jack stands, jack up the suspension by the lower ball joint until the car is about to lift off, that's when you torque the bolts down. OR, you lower the car onto the ground then shimmy a torque wrench with an extension down there then torque down the bolt.

Regarding the power steering pump, it looks like it's still leaking and you need to replace the large o-ring that seals the body of the pump. To do this, you need to remove lower low and high pressure hoses, remove pump off the mounting bracket, then open up the body of the pump and replace the o-ring.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to t-rd For This Useful Post:
Rudi (01-14-2018)
post #9 of 26 Old 01-14-2018, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Ok. Would you recommend buying the new control arms? If yes, what brand? The installed Moog (part #s RK640289 & 290) had a 3 year life-time limited warranty that inconveniently expired 2 month ago.
I'm still not sure about the noise when turning the steering wheel left or right. Does it come from the leaking PS pump or because of broken front shock bushings?

I checked JohnNH's pdf on how to disassemble PS pump (Power Steering Pump Rebuild) - it looks a bit complex to me :-) with possibilities not installing it back correctly, besides there are few O-rings there. The large O-ring that you mentioned is part # 91349-PNC-J01 Seal, Pump Cover ?
post #10 of 26 Old 01-14-2018, 10:26 PM
Out of Control

I followed that write up on the rebuild and it worked perfect first try. Been bone dry since

2005 EX-L Sedan, i4 + Automatic. over 185K and counting. runs like a clock.
V6 TL-S fsb/rsb
V6 battery upgrade
V6 strut bar
Weathertech floor liners
Tinted windows
New vtec gasket
New dipstick o-rings (thanks qman)
Penzoil Platinum 0W20
Fram ultra synthetic oil filter

Most meticulously maintained accord on this site

Quote:
An interference engine is one which interferes with your wallet if you don't keep a solid timing belt in it. -qman
post #11 of 26 Old 01-20-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I have a problem unscrewing (counter clockwise) pressure control valve (see step #2 in JohnNH's Power Steering Rebuild pdf file). Pictures attached.

I'm using 10mm hex, but the damn thing doesn't unscrew. I also tried to 'extend' this 10mm hex with, but still no luck. I didn't go to gym for six month, but last time bench press was 215lb.

Help! :-)
Attached Images
post #12 of 26 Old 01-20-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Oof. finally got it off with another combination of extension & allen key
post #13 of 26 Old Yesterday, 06:08 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
Oof. finally got it off with another combination of extension & allen key
I have a cheap electric impact and it's surprising how easy things like that plug come off when the torque is impact rather than gradual. Probably could've held the pump body by hand and the impact have spun it out.

Keep up the thread with pics. Thanks.
post #14 of 26 Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDHewson View Post
I have a cheap electric impact and it's surprising how easy things like that plug come off when the torque is impact rather than gradual. Probably could've held the pump body by hand and the impact have spun it out.

Keep up the thread with pics. Thanks.
I was thinking the same thing. My cheap HF impact saves me plenty of frustration. Only reservation would be the fact that you're using an impact on an allen fitting. That could end badly.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 26 Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

What would you guys recommend to clean PS pump properly?

I already spent like half an hour cleaning PS pump using the carb cleaner and brush, but not much progress.
Don't expect it to shine, but at least be seen as cleaning was attempted.

Attached Images
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.