Buying a used 2006 honda accord - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-05-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Buying a used 2006 honda accord

Hey guys, thinking about buying a 2006 honda accord ex. Anything i should look for? Any known problems? Any tips when i buy a used car?

Any and all help will be appreciated thanks

Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-06-2010, 12:46 AM
out of control

I'm sorry dude but google/search is your friend..

2006 Accord Coupe V6 6MT w/Navigation

Previous:2007 Accord i4 5AT

My 7th Gen V6 6 Speed Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 AM
No longer active

Low miles, no evidence of excessive wear, service history, etc.
Walk around the car, look under the hood for signs of an accident (mismatched paint, bent stuff, things that have been replaced), look under the mat in the trunk for signs of extensive repairs, a carfax history, look under the car, look at the door sills for signs of rust, damage, paint discrepancies (signs of damage), etc.
Being a 4 year old car, the mileage should be below 50k. If not, the car has been driven more than an average of 12k per year and is likely to have more wear than there should be.
Drive the car and pay attention to how it rides, brakes, accelerates, and steers. Then ask to drive another similar accord (Gen 7) and compare them.
Consumer reports says that it is a very reliable car (reliability is 32% above average). The only real issues, according to them, are brakes and electrical stuff, but that isn't too common.
They also list an estimated price range of $9725 and $14375.
That's the basic stuff. I drive an 05 LX and if I didn't but were shopping, would likely pay good money for my car without a concern.
Your best bet is to drive the car you are looking at and then another that is the same. If the car you are looking to buy doesn't drive as well as, say, an 05, 04, 03, or 07 EX, don't buy it.
Hondas, in my experience and opinion, are pretty solid, reliable, and trouble free. I've had my 05 since new and I've had zero problems (except for a bad battery replaced under warranty). I am about to replace my tires (they are worn out) and need brakes (squealing and rotor shake) at just under 41,000 miles. Might be a good idea to ask them how much life is left on the brakes and give the tires the old penny test (insert a penny into the tread with Abe's head pointed down, if his head is at all obstructed, your tires are acceptable). Ask if the tires/brakes are original or have been replaced.
Also - is this a V6 or I4? Manual or automatic?
I've heard V6 manuals have some problems....

Since I can't figure out how to cancel my account, this serves as notice that the above user is no longer an active member of this community.

No messages will be checked. No responses will be given.

Frankly, even though this forum has a lot of very nice people, the few bad apples around here have gotten on my nerves. I simply don't care enough to log on and try and help others when all too frequently, I get mocked or made fun of.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-06-2010, 11:31 AM
-Gene

Send a message via AIM to phunctional
lol j/k but would be nice to see it

2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 A/T Sport-shift

Desert Mist Metallic

Amber LED Interior
• PA15-Hon2y iPhone Adapter
Tein SS-P
• 18" Alloy's
post #5 of 13 Old 08-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Low Gear

Former owner of an 06 I4 EX. The most perfect Honda I owned. Never saw the dealership for anything.

Only issue was wear and tear.

Rear brakes - Need new pads. Wore out way too fast. Some call it a "defect." I'll call it cost cutting by Honda.

Battery died - Die earlier than expected. Cost cutting. OEM battery died 2.5 years.

The ring on the main radio know is painted. The paint seems to come off.

2016 Accord EX I4, 2010 Accord EX-L V6, 2017 Accord Sport
post #6 of 13 Old 08-06-2010, 01:17 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffislouie View Post
Low miles, no evidence of excessive wear, service history, etc.
Walk around the car, look under the hood for signs of an accident (mismatched paint, bent stuff, things that have been replaced), look under the mat in the trunk for signs of extensive repairs, a carfax history, look under the car, look at the door sills for signs of rust, damage, paint discrepancies (signs of damage), etc.
Being a 4 year old car, the mileage should be below 50k. If not, the car has been driven more than an average of 12k per year and is likely to have more wear than there should be.
Drive the car and pay attention to how it rides, brakes, accelerates, and steers. Then ask to drive another similar accord (Gen 7) and compare them.
Consumer reports says that it is a very reliable car (reliability is 32% above average). The only real issues, according to them, are brakes and electrical stuff, but that isn't too common.
They also list an estimated price range of $9725 and $14375.
That's the basic stuff. I drive an 05 LX and if I didn't but were shopping, would likely pay good money for my car without a concern.
Your best bet is to drive the car you are looking at and then another that is the same. If the car you are looking to buy doesn't drive as well as, say, an 05, 04, 03, or 07 EX, don't buy it.
Hondas, in my experience and opinion, are pretty solid, reliable, and trouble free. I've had my 05 since new and I've had zero problems (except for a bad battery replaced under warranty). I am about to replace my tires (they are worn out) and need brakes (squealing and rotor shake) at just under 41,000 miles. Might be a good idea to ask them how much life is left on the brakes and give the tires the old penny test (insert a penny into the tread with Abe's head pointed down, if his head is at all obstructed, your tires are acceptable). Ask if the tires/brakes are original or have been replaced.
Also - is this a V6 or I4? Manual or automatic?
I've heard V6 manuals have some problems....
Very good post and sound advice.

Most of the V6s with the tranny problems are autos though, I think. If you are going to get a V6 auto, I'd not get anything that's over 60k. Otherwise you might have to pay out of your pocket if the transmission goes bad.

It's a good choice. Good luck with your search.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-07-2010, 02:30 PM
4th Gear

In regards to the tranny issue, there was a recall, more then likely its been fixed, but not a bad question to ask.

2004 Accord Coupe i4, San Marino Red
Current mod list: OEM fog light kit, Xenondepot LED interior and license plate kit (6k white), AEM Cold Air Intake

Future mod list: Tint, Retro HIDs, OEM style LED taillights, Coilovers, New wheels (07-08 TL Type-S I think)
post #8 of 13 Old 08-08-2010, 10:23 AM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

Read this...

7th Gen FAQ
post #9 of 13 Old 08-08-2010, 10:26 AM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie1911 View Post
In regards to the tranny issue, there was a recall, more then likely its been fixed, but not a bad question to ask.
LOL...now that is funny. The oil jet recall did nothing to prevent transmission failures. That was a band-aid that didn't work. I had the oil-jet recall done before 10,000 miles and the transmission still failed at 52,000 miles, 4 years later.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-20-2010, 04:30 PM
2006 I4 MT

Weird, my battery also died after 2 years in my '06 LX coupe. Getting brakes replaced this weekend at 29,000 miles. Other than that, the car drives perfectly. Everytime I drive a different car, I always hate it and can't wait until I can jump back in my car. It has a great balance.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-20-2010, 05:02 PM
5th Gear

Interesting, all us 06 I4 owners seem to have had the same problem. My rear breaks got bad at near 40 thousand miles(front ones are still good) and the battery was bad near 40 thousand miles as well.

2006 EX COUPE I4 (Front lip, fog lights, tint, mud guards)

2003 LX V6 SEDAN

My Coupe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 13 Old 09-29-2010, 05:28 PM
2nd Gear

Thats really funny because I have 2, 06 Accords and the batteries died at two years also within ONE WEEK of each other!!!
post #13 of 13 Old 09-30-2010, 08:50 AM
-Gene

Send a message via AIM to phunctional
My battery also died 40,000 Miles. Its like they timed how long they want it to last. lol...

2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 A/T Sport-shift

Desert Mist Metallic

Amber LED Interior
• PA15-Hon2y iPhone Adapter
Tein SS-P
• 18" Alloy's
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.