Valve adjustment soon: Should I replace my valve seals? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
15Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 01-04-2018, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
They pay me to get high

Garage
Valve adjustment soon: Should I replace my valve seals?

My car is at 105k, and I am planning of getting a valve adjustment in the next weeks. My 05 EX V6 runs on 0W-20 full synthetic and burns roughly a pint of oil every 5k.. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. How much oil to you guys burn(V6 owners)?
I bought spark plug well seals, valve cover seals, and valve cover bolt seals, and am planning of getting them put on when they have my engine opened up. However, should I replace my valve seals? This involve removing the whole rocker arm/ camshaft assembly to get access to it. I would really like to do it since I am pretty anal about maintenance, but since my car isn’t burning that much oil, is it just overkill and wasted $$?

x6 Spark Plugs Seals: 12342-RYE-004
x2 Valve Cover Gasket: 12341-RCA-A01
x10 Valve Cover Bolt O-ring: 90442-P8A-A00

2005 EX-L V6 5AT Desert Mist 106k TOTALLED 02/2018
LED Interior/Headlight/Taillight
BT45-HON3
06-07 Shifter
Noise insulation
Slotted F Brake Rotors
Block Heater
Remote Start
Hybrid Rear Diffuser
Splash Guards
Redline D6 ATF
Coupe 3-Spoke Steering Wheel w/ Perforated Leather
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-05-2018, 05:45 AM
4th Gear

With that low oil consumption, and if no one individual spark plug has ash on it, then let those OEM valve stem seals continue to work well into the future.

jimijam and slimm1469 like this.
post #3 of 33 Old 01-05-2018, 05:47 AM
Out of Control

That’s too much oil burning even for jimijam ’s standards but you’re probably fine. And good for having all new seals. I didn’t do that when I did my valve adjustment but I will the next time.

2005 EX-L Sedan, i4 + Automatic. over 185K and counting. runs like a clock.
V6 TL-S fsb/rsb
V6 battery upgrade
V6 strut bar
Weathertech floor liners
Tinted windows
New vtec gasket
New dipstick o-rings (thanks qman)
Penzoil Platinum 0W20
Fram ultra synthetic oil filter
Supertech -20*F washer fluid

Most meticulously maintained accord on this site

Quote:
An interference engine is one which interferes with your wallet if you don't keep a solid timing belt in it. -qman

post #4 of 33 Old 01-05-2018, 06:28 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
post #5 of 33 Old 01-05-2018, 08:31 AM
8TH GEN BELIEVER

+1 ^^^ what a punster

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
post #6 of 33 Old 01-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Out of Control

Putting on valve seals is a real PITA but well worth it. They turn to brittle plastic over time. Not sure if it's necessary at your mileage but there's only one way to find out.

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.
post #7 of 33 Old 01-05-2018, 11:24 AM
RMN
3rd Gear

.5 quarts in 5k is pretty great so no issue there. Id say don't bother changing the valve seals. People go hundreds of thousands without replacing them.

2006 Accord EX 4 cylinder
193k miles
post #8 of 33 Old 01-05-2018, 11:35 AM

The valve stem seals are most likely fine, you probably have stuck oil control rings on piston tops, based on type of oil used (convention or synthetic). Changing valve stem seals isn't a regular maintenance item. I am at more than double your mileage and not burning a drop of oil. Before you go on thinking that valve stems seals is the cause of your oil burning issue, soak piston tops in the cylinder chambers with marvel mystery oil by removing spark plugs. Find Rick Blaine on this one.
Dang Truong likes this.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #9 of 33 Old 01-05-2018, 11:48 AM
RMN
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
The valve stem seals are most likely fine, you probably have stuck oil control rings on piston tops, based on type of oil used (convention or synthetic). Changing valve stem seals isn't a regular maintenance item. I am at more than double your mileage and not burning a drop of oil. Before you go on thinking that valve stems seals is the cause of your oil burning issue, soak piston tops in the cylinder chambers with marvel mystery oil by removing spark plugs. Find Rick Blaine on this one.
What do you mean when you say you're not burning a drop of oil? You pour in X quarts, and the same X quarts come out at the next oil change? I doubt it as that would be miraculous for a gasoline engine.

I say my car doesn't burn oil because the oil level stays above the minimum mark on the dipstick for the whole ~7k mile oil change internal. But less always comes out than what I put in.

193k miles
post #10 of 33 Old 01-05-2018, 12:35 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMN View Post
I say my car doesn't burn oil because the oil level stays above the minimum mark on the dipstick for the whole ~7k mile oil change internal. But less always comes out than what I put in.
That doesn't make much sense. The difference from the min to max mark on the dipstick is a quart.

As for valve seals. I did solve an oil burning issue on an old pickup of mine by replacing the seals. It buned so badly that it smoked. When I removed the valve springs there was basically no rubber left. What was still there was hard plastic like stuff but most of it had broken off and some of it was still stuck in the oil drain holes in the heads. I put on new seals and the smoke and burning oil issue was gone. It still leaks like sieve but that's a totally different issue.

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.
post #11 of 33 Old 01-05-2018, 12:51 PM

On my V6, I put in some amount of oil, approximately 4.25 to 4.5 qt., the oil level is at max mark on the stick after I changed the oil. The oil mark is still at the max mark when I go on to drain to do the next oil change. No oil loss, PERIOD. The level DOES NOT DROP on the stick. 272000 miles as of yesterday, I just checked oil level this morning, still at the max mark. Why do you find that hard to believe??!? I find that hard to believe on a German car yes, I have owned one before, oil burning on a German car is "supposed" to be normal.

I have already opened up the top end and done a lot of cleaning work and resealed also this past summer.

260k mile intake path cleaning + ported runner install + rear valve cover gasket work

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #12 of 33 Old 01-05-2018, 01:42 PM
RMN
3rd Gear

What I find hard to believe is that you're not losing "a drop" of oil between oil changes just because its not noticeable on the dipstick. In reality you're burning a little oil just like everyone else. I don't notice a great change on the dipstick either, but the difference is measurable when pouring the spent oil back into the 5 quart jug, which is what I think what the OP is doing. That's how he came up with the specific 1 pint loss.

I just don't want the OP to think his 1 pint/5k oil loss is something other than typical.

193k miles

Last edited by RMN; 01-05-2018 at 01:43 PM. Reason: typo
post #13 of 33 Old 01-05-2018, 05:27 PM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,003 Times in 757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDHewson View Post
With that low oil consumption, and if no one individual spark plug has ash on it, then let those OEM valve stem seals continue to work well into the future.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris918 View Post
That’s too much oil burning even for jimijam ’s standards but you’re probably fine.
Isn't that the amount you were losing from your vtec gasket, all three times? You burn a qt every 5K miles and this guy burns or loses (maybe he's got a vtec gasket leak?) 1/4 of that. I know you'd kill to have that low of an oil lose issue, huh? But then again, we never would have gotten the infamous "top off oil" thread from you, so I am grateful you burn a qt of oil between changes.

Quote:
I am at more than double your mileage and not burning a drop of oil. Before you go on thinking that valve stems seals is the cause of your oil burning issue, soak piston tops in the cylinder chambers with marvel mystery oil by removing spark plugs.
Ditto. I don't even check my dipstick between changes. I only pull it when I pop the hood to remove the oil fill cap just before I am about to lay on the floor and yank the drain plug. Other V6 owners here don't bother checking either, but I think salcuta may have finally been convinced by Drew03Accord to check his between changes sometime around the time he (Salcuta) became a moderator.

[Shout out to Drew so he doesn't miss one of the rare V6 oil burning threads. ]

Quote:
What do you mean when you say you're not burning a drop of oil? You pour in X quarts, and the same X quarts come out at the next oil change? I doubt it as that would be miraculous for a gasoline engine.

He didn't stutter. I call BS on you allegedly not burning oil. You under fill by a qt and expect me to believe it doesn't drop for 7K miles, on an i4? No way in hell, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
That doesn't make much sense. The difference from the min to max mark on the dipstick is a quart.

As for valve seals. I did solve an oil burning issue on an old pickup of mine by replacing the seals. It burned so badly that it smoked.
He makes no sense for sure, bro. If OP isn't smoking on start up after not running all day or overnight (most common sign of valve seal issue), he'd probably be wasting his time and cost of labor.

Quote:
On my V6, I put in some amount of oil, approximately 4.25 to 4.5 qt., the oil level is at max mark on the stick after I changed the oil. The oil mark is still at the max mark when I go on to drain to do the next oil change. No oil loss, PERIOD. The level DOES NOT DROP on the stick. Why do you find that hard to believe??!?
Mine is the same. He finds it hard to believe because he has an i4 and most of the folks here with i4s burn oil.

Quote:
What I find hard to believe is that you're not losing "a drop" of oil between oil changes just because its not noticeable on the dipstick. In reality you're burning a little oil just like everyone else. I don't notice a great change on the dipstick either, but the difference is measurable ....

I just don't want the OP to think his 1 pint/5k oil loss is something other than typical.
Don't believe it, but it's fact. He notices NO CHANGE. I NOTICE NO CHANGE. Deal with it, mang. Sorry for your oil loss.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 33 Old 01-05-2018, 06:03 PM

Perhaps it burns, but too little for us to notice. So in my opinion, it does not burn one drop, not even enough to register. I never top off in between oil changes. Move on to a German car, does it really burn oil? OH YEAH, it BURNS A LOT OF OIL. Topping off oil for a German car is said to be a normal practice. Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, they all make a pouch for a jug of oil!

Does OP need to change valve stem seals? NO. Soak piston tops first.
jimijam, salcuta and Dang Truong like this.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #15 of 33 Old 01-05-2018, 06:27 PM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,003 Times in 757 Posts

I have never topped off any of the four vehicles that I drive regularly, either. Though the Accord sees more use during the M-F commute to work and back, so the Caddy, and two Toyotas don't see as much use.

Now the muscle car (fifth car and garage queen that never hits the road if there is so much as a cloud in the sky) currently loses a half qt out of the 8 qt capacity at its annual oil change. Thank God it doesn't burn more because it costs me $96 for the 8 qts of oil, which would bankrupt some people. Not me though, cuz I'm a baller.

Burning oil is NOT normal for late model asian or domestics, regardless of what some people say. These are the same people that are stuck with oil burning cars so I can see why they are trying hard to convince themselves that it is; perhaps they are just used to it.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.