installing Transmission Temp Gauge help - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
8Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 12-27-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

installing Transmission Temp Gauge help

i've never seen a write up for a Trans Temp Gauge and it wasn't too expensive - $50ish shipped

my main concern is it like drilling into an Oil Pan for a Oil Temp gauge or is there any areas i need to avoid?

hoping its a straight forward install and any help is appreciated

install on: 03 - Accord - 4 Dr. - Auto - V6

2003 Accord 4dr EX V6 Graphite Pearl aka Dark Grey
250,000+ on 2nd Transmission

Mods: Driven heavily modded vehicles. "once a modder always a modder"

*G Modifiers Crew Member #2*
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-27-2017, 09:09 PM
Out of Control

Transmission Temperature (gauge install thread ?) --- look into getting a scan gauge.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 509K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
The Following User Says Thank You to KW2004Accord For This Useful Post:
2i2dk1ny2i3 (12-28-2017)
post #3 of 19 Old 12-28-2017, 02:44 AM
Texas Ground Pounder

Garage
I actually installed one on my 03 a while back when I added the cooler. Since I was already modifying the lines, I just added a "T" adapter in the line that the sensor could plug in to. Easiest way to install a sensor. I would not recommend drilling a hole in any part of the motor or trans to try and tap the sensor. Go to the lines.
jimijam likes this.

2003 Accord EX Sedan V6 Auto NAVI (Noble Green Pearl)
Mods:Fog Lights-front & rear TL sway bar-V6 MT shock tower bar-AEM V2-Magnaflow cat-back-Window & Moon visors-Kaminari Lip Kit-Bug Shield-CUSCO Type II TSX Lower brace-Enkei EV5 wheels-Trans Cooler
Audio/Video:audio under construction-KP window up, one touch moonroof, mirror tilt-Dice iPod-Rear Camera-TVandNav2go Video
Wish List:Air Ride-Charger
The Following User Says Thank You to Calamity Coyote For This Useful Post:
2i2dk1ny2i3 (12-28-2017)

post #4 of 19 Old 12-28-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

KW2004Accord & Calamity Coyote thanks a lot for the help

much appreciated...will post pics when installed and will take install pics if possible for anyone else in the future looking to grab something to monitor Transmission Temp
TIKIMAN and KW2004Accord like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to 2i2dk1ny2i3 For This Useful Post:
TIKIMAN (12-28-2017)
post #5 of 19 Old 01-14-2018, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

can someone let me know where would be the best spot for the hot/oil out line & not the colder/return line and if i can use the Trans Warmer...which hose?

i was told i could also use the T adapter onto a Radiator hose

any help is appreciated as i couldn't find a detailed answer even using search

post #6 of 19 Old 01-14-2018, 08:40 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Since you have a V6 you want a transmission cooler, not a heat exchanger. User t-rd installed one and it fixed his problems.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
post #7 of 19 Old 01-14-2018, 08:49 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KW2004Accord View Post
Transmission Temperature (gauge install thread ?) --- look into getting a scan gauge.
Scan gauge is great and all, but you need to KNOW what you are doing when you go into custom gauge territory. There are some custom gauges already figured out, but they don't always work. I had tried a cat temp gauge and a buttload of air to fuel ratio gauges and none of them worked.
KW2004Accord likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Ah so you do have a drinking problem. You do not drink enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
When I was little girl in Russia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropgun View Post
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 152K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
post #8 of 19 Old 01-14-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtts60 View Post
Since you have a V6 you want a transmission cooler, not a heat exchanger. User t-rd installed one and it fixed his problems.
i got a Magnefine i never installed and am planning on doing the Transmission Cooler DIY by:

t-rd

what i want to do is get Temperature of the Fluid BEFORE and AFTER

i know that the Transmission Cooler does work but i would like to see the Temp differences and want to install just the Trans Temp Gauge for now

post #9 of 19 Old 01-14-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Chicken View Post
Scan gauge is great and all, but you need to KNOW what you are doing when you go into custom gauge territory. There are some custom gauges already figured out, but they don't always work. I had tried a cat temp gauge and a buttload of air to fuel ratio gauges and none of them worked.
when you say buttload of A/F Gauges, did you ever try the Wideband?

i know they are more than basic A/F gauges but mine works okay

i.e. before my J Pipe and PCDs, i was usually in "Optimal" but after...it says i'm running "Rich"...i'm fine w/that than running Lean

where did you tap the Sensor wire?...i remember having to tap a wire on the Pass. side next to the ECU

post #10 of 19 Old 01-14-2018, 10:16 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2i2dk1ny2i3 View Post
when you say buttload of A/F Gauges, did you ever try the Wideband?

i know they are more than basic A/F gauges but mine works okay

i.e. before my J Pipe and PCDs, i was usually in "Optimal" but after...it says i'm running "Rich"...i'm fine w/that than running Lean

where did you tap the Sensor wire?...i remember having to tap a wire on the Pass. side next to the ECU
Scangauge as in this bad boy. You can PROGRAM custom gauges. Wasn't talking about adding another o2/afr sensor.

Name: scangaugeii_dimensions-300x188.png
Views: 77
Size: 49.4 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Ah so you do have a drinking problem. You do not drink enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
When I was little girl in Russia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropgun View Post
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 152K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
The Following User Says Thank You to Das Chicken For This Useful Post:
kazhuveri (01-17-2018)
post #11 of 19 Old 01-15-2018, 02:58 AM
Texas Ground Pounder

Garage
When I added my cooler and temp gauge, I actually bought a new hard line that comes out from the filter and cut it in half with a hack saw. I then filed the ends for any burs and added the new rubber hose lines to the two ends with hose clamps. So the hard line comes out from the filter and faces the front of the car instead of going to the back, has a hose connected to it that goes to the cooler, then another hose from the cooler coming back to the other end that was cut which goes to the back of the transmission. My temp gauge is "T" tapped in the return line from the cooler. Really wish I had tapped in the line going to the cooler instead so I could see what temp it was before the cooler. In any case, to me this was the easiest way to tap in to the line. Plus since I got a new line to modify, I still have the original one in case I need to change anything back.

I would not tap in to the radiator hose for your transmission temp. This will not give you a proper reading on your transmission temp. You already have a gauge from factory for the radiator temp.
2i2dk1ny2i3 likes this.

Mods:Fog Lights-front & rear TL sway bar-V6 MT shock tower bar-AEM V2-Magnaflow cat-back-Window & Moon visors-Kaminari Lip Kit-Bug Shield-CUSCO Type II TSX Lower brace-Enkei EV5 wheels-Trans Cooler
Audio/Video:audio under construction-KP window up, one touch moonroof, mirror tilt-Dice iPod-Rear Camera-TVandNav2go Video
2i2dk1ny2i3 (01-16-2018)
post #12 of 19 Old 01-16-2018, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Coyote View Post
When I added my cooler and temp gauge, I actually bought a new hard line that comes out from the filter and cut it in half with a hack saw. I then filed the ends for any burs and added the new rubber hose lines to the two ends with hose clamps. So the hard line comes out from the filter and faces the front of the car instead of going to the back, has a hose connected to it that goes to the cooler, then another hose from the cooler coming back to the other end that was cut which goes to the back of the transmission. My temp gauge is "T" tapped in the return line from the cooler. Really wish I had tapped in the line going to the cooler instead so I could see what temp it was before the cooler. In any case, to me this was the easiest way to tap in to the line. Plus since I got a new line to modify, I still have the original one in case I need to change anything back.

I would not tap in to the radiator hose for your transmission temp. This will not give you a proper reading on your transmission temp. You already have a gauge from factory for the radiator temp.

thanks, much appreciated!...do you by chance have any pics of your set up?

that's my biggest thing...i want to see how much of a difference BEFORE adding the Trans cooler. I would think Temps would also vary during Winter/Summer? I don't do much rush hour driving but Members have stated improvement w/Trans cooler in stop and go traffic. Just wanna try and put some numbers behind it

post #13 of 19 Old 01-16-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

i did find this in the Service Manual for 4 cyl. but not for V6 even in the Service Manual V6 Supplement:

post #14 of 19 Old 01-17-2018, 04:13 AM
Texas Ground Pounder

Garage
Unfortunately I did not take any pics while installing it all. I'm usually doing the work by myself and don't like handling my phone while my hands are dirty. I got my Aspen shortly after the install and I've been driving it so she's been sitting for a couple years under two tarps so it's kind of hard to get pics now as well. Especially with the drop in temps and high winds we've been getting lately. Really don't want to mess it during this mess.

The four cylinder has an in line filter. Which would make it easier to tap in to. The V6 has the filter internally and is supposedly "not serviceable". Although many of us have changed it. To my knowledge with everything I've researched, the V6 does not run to the radiator like the I4 does. Which is odd as my wife's 2000 V6 does hook in to the radiator. I recently discovered this when I had to replace her radiator.

The pipe I modified is called the Pipe A (Atf). Part number 25910-RDG-305. Like I said, I bought a new one for like $40 and cut it just shortly after where the banjo nut goes through it in to the filter assembly. Turned it to face the front of the car and hooked up the other side as normal. Was a little tight to remove the old one and hook the new cut one back in. Then I simply ran two new hoses from each end with new hose clamps to the new cooler I installed. Added a "T" tap on the line from the filter assembly to the cooler so I could hook up the temp sensor. This was my only mistake. I should of done it on the return line from the cooler instead so I can have temps after it ran through the cooler. One of these days I plan on changing this. As it is now, if I remember correctly, I was seeing temps of about 120-140. This is in the hottest days of Texas heat. Again, before the cooler.
2i2dk1ny2i3 likes this.

2i2dk1ny2i3 (Today)
post #15 of 19 Old 01-17-2018, 08:00 AM

V6 does NOT have an OEM cooler running to the radiator, it only has a hockey puck like warmer.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.