Another alignment question... How often does yours get knocked out? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-22-2010, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Another alignment question... How often does yours get knocked out?

I just got an alignment this past Saturday... Last night, I hit a (not even really big) bump on the highway, and my steering has felt slightly looser since then. I am 99.999999% sure I have knocked my alignment out again...

How often do you guys' alignments get knocked out?

I live in NYC and I try very hard to miss potholes and big bumps... I pretty much do a decent job of it.

*Here's a little history of my car*
For the first 18k miles or so of ownership (from 20,000-38,000 miles) my car has had no alignment issues and has not gotten knocked out of alignment by streets/roads or anything.

Finally got knocked out of alignment once, and I took the car to Sears Auto to do the alignment on their Hunter machine... I have since gone there about 6 times to have it re-done because within a matter of weeks each time, my alignment had gotten out of whack again...

Is there any way that Sears was to blame for the alignments getting knocked out sooner than before? I mean, is there anyway that they could have not tightened something enough or anything like that?

Thanks

2006 Accord EXL-V6 Auto 4dr (CM6)
+ Desert Mist
+ MODS: HFP suspension with Ingalls rear camber kit, Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit, Nokya Hyper Yellow drl/highs, 17mm TL rear sway bar, JBL GTO 6x9's and tweeters, splash guards, WeatherTech DigitalFit floorliners (front) and Honda all-weather floormats (rear), trunk tray, hood bra.... More to come
= Sexy
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-22-2010, 12:42 PM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

I made my first alignment adjustment at 80k miles and it was only about 0.5 degree out of spec at two wheels. I live in Boston so there's probably fewer potholes than NYC... I think Sears has a 6000 mile warranty on their alignments so if it's within warranty, just bring it back.

post #3 of 18 Old 07-22-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMV6 View Post
I made my first alignment adjustment at 80k miles and it was only about 0.5 degree out of spec at two wheels. I live in Boston so there's probably fewer potholes than NYC... I think Sears has a 6000 mile warranty on their alignments so if it's within warranty, just bring it back.
I bring it back there every other week. Im done with Sears

+ Desert Mist
+ MODS: HFP suspension with Ingalls rear camber kit, Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit, Nokya Hyper Yellow drl/highs, 17mm TL rear sway bar, JBL GTO 6x9's and tweeters, splash guards, WeatherTech DigitalFit floorliners (front) and Honda all-weather floormats (rear), trunk tray, hood bra.... More to come
= Sexy

post #4 of 18 Old 07-22-2010, 01:14 PM
6th Gear

My last alignment was at 36k (did it myself) and is currently at 61k. I have been doing a lot of NYC and LI street driving lately, so I'm planning on doing my alignment again in about two weeks when I get my tires replaced. I do feel my car winding to the right and my steering wheel is not 100% straight so I'm sure I need one sure, also my tires has uneven wear.

2004 Honda Accord LX-i4 Sedan
Mod list can be found here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom mod:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY - 7th Gen I4 Drive Belt Replacement

post #5 of 18 Old 07-22-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznAccord08 View Post
My last alignment was at 36k (did it myself) and is currently at 61k. I have been doing a lot of NYC and LI street driving lately, so I'm planning on doing my alignment again in about two weeks when I get my tires replaced. I do feel my car winding to the right and my steering wheel is not 100% straight so I'm sure I need one sure, also my tires has uneven wear.
How do you do your own alignment? Do you have a machine or is there some other way to do it?

+ Desert Mist
= Sexy
post #6 of 18 Old 07-23-2010, 04:57 AM
VTAKKKK

Send a message via AIM to CYANiDE
Car was aligned when it was purchased, about a year ago. I drive through THE WORST roads in NY/NJ DAILY, and I have not had an issue. Sure I've taken a few hard potholes/dips etc, but I haven't had any problems.

2006 Accord EX i4 Sedan - 5AT - Graphite Pearl - [89,0xx miles]
FF Type II Coilovers || Skunk2 Front Camber Arms || Ingalls Rear Camber Kit || Acura TL-S 27mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars || K&N SRI
post #7 of 18 Old 07-23-2010, 10:54 AM
3rd Gear

mine hasn't been aligned for at least 40k (if ever) and I have no issues what so ever with it. I'm in Rhode Island where the roads mimic lunar terrain too

'03 4cyl 5mt NHBP LX sedan
tsx IM, AEM shorty intake, 225/45-17s nexens on black Apec rims,17mm TL rear swaybar, Ingalls Stiffy
post #8 of 18 Old 07-23-2010, 11:06 AM
5th Gear

I am at 93k miles on my 04 and I am the original owner. I am still running my first set of BFG traction T/A replacements, and I have yet to need an alignment.

The steering wheel has never been knocked off center, and the tires are wearing so good and even that I am actually planning to replace them in Fall (even with good tread left) just to have full depth tread for winter. (Strictly for peace of mind)

Now this is not the norm, and its a first for me. And, its impossible to put a number on how often to get an alignment because it depends. Tire alignment can get knocked out today, or never.

The best advice I can give: Do not get an alignment like you would a scheduled maintenance...get it done only when needed.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Prim and Proper

I got mine at 76k and it's about 110 now and I've never had an alignment. I don't know if it was done before I bought it but I doubt it

2003 Accord LX-V6

5% Rear Tint, 25% Front Tint | Weapon R Dragon Short Ram Intake with APC Cone Filter | Acura TL 17mm Rear Sway Bar | Eagle Eye LED Taillights - Red/Smoke | Nokya Hyper Yellow Hi-Beam Headlights | Resonator and Pre-muffler Removed | Test Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfrog View Post
All cars get the flu......Yugo had the plague...
post #10 of 18 Old 07-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Sosi baklazhani bydlo

Send a message via AIM to hebrew_hammer
When i was on coilovers, mine would get knocked out very quickly even with 215/50/17 tires. Never done one before coilovers or suspension mods (installed at 28k) after playing with suspension i got about 5 alignments and my car has 35k on it now. Im back to oem-ish suspension and im pretty sure i wont need another alignment for a WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILE.

I purchased 3year-unlimited alignments from NTB , if theres one in your area i highly suggest it because the guy that does mine (i have adjustable front/rear cambers) is amazing and im always driving like an arrow after his alignments.

2015 Snowflake Pearl Mazda6 GT - Daily
2002 Titanium Gray Miata SE - Money pit
2005 Graphite Pearl AV6 Sedan - (Sold)
post #11 of 18 Old 08-13-2010, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Ok so here's an update.

I had Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on for about a month, but I took them off because they were making my car pull to the right, and they were squirmy on the road.

Got Yokohama Avid ENVigors put on yesterday in their place and the pulling was gone and the car wasn't all over the road anymore. Got my alignment checked by Honda, and also had STS tire do an actual alignment on my car today.

My steering was nice and heavy and tight all day today. I had them bump my tire pressure up to 33.6 in the front, and 30 in the rear for gas mileage, and a little added steering input.

My steering was tight all day, however, I did some driving in the Bronx tonight, and I drove over some pretty bumpy roads. These tires are pretty hard riding, so with the little extra pressure, they aren't the most pleasant tires to have on NYC roads, but they aren't too different from the OE Michelins so I can grit my teeth and get used to them again...

Anyway, when I got on the highway I noticed that my steering was no longer nice and heavy and tight. It was now light and I had to correct the steering more.

This is the exact problem that I have been having since 4 or so months ago, and is the reason why I have had a bizillion alignments this summer.

I have noticed something however... On both Honda's (John Beam) alignment machine, and STS' (Hunter) alignment machine, my rear camber on the right side was pretty off. On Honda's it was -1.6 degrees which is in the red. On STS', it was -1.5 which is the very last number before red. **And there was maybe 10lbs. of stuff in my trunk today IF that, and I only had a 1/4 tank of gas**.

The left rear camber is something like -.7

I have noticed that on my last couple alignments, the front TOE has been good. However, the rear TOE keeps getting considerably knocked into the red.

What could be causing my BASICALLY out of spec rear right camber? What component can be bad?

Also, can my bad right rear camber be causing my rear (both sides) toe(s) to be going out? If not, what can be causing that?

Im really REALLY reallyy sick of this steering/alignment crap that is going on. While I still have a wish and before my warranty is over, I want Honda to replace whatever is causing my rear end crap that is going on.

+ Desert Mist
= Sexy
post #12 of 18 Old 08-14-2010, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Trip
I'd give the tires at least 500 - 1,000 miles to break in. What you're describing sounds normal.

From Tire Rack :

Quote:
"Tires are comprised of many layers of rubber, steel and fabric. Due to these different components, your new tires require a break-in period to ensure that they deliver their normal ride quality and maximum performance. As tires are cured, a release lubricant is applied to prevent them from sticking in their mold. Some of the lubricant stays on the surface of your tires, reducing traction until it is worn away. Five hundred miles of easy acceleration, cornering and braking will allow the mold release lubricant to wear off, allowing the other tire components to begin working together. It is also important to note that your old tires probably had very little tread depth remaining when you felt it was time to replace them. As any autocrosser or racer who has tread rubber shaved off of his tires will tell you, low tread depth tires respond quicker. Don't be surprised if your new tires are a little slower to respond (even if you use the exact same tire as before). Their new, full depth brings with it a little more tread squirm until they wear down.

NOTE: Be careful whenever you explore the capabilities of your new tires. Remember that every tire requires a break-in period for optimum performance."

Current: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 1989 Prelude Si

Come & Gone: 84 Accord HB, 91 CRX Si, 89 Accord LXi, 90 Accord LX Cpe, 94 Accord EX, 95 Accord EX Cpe, 98 Accord EX, 99 A4, 03 Accord EX-L, 91 Civic RT4WD Wagon, 06 Accord EX-L NAVI, 09 Mazda 6 iGT

From The Dark Period: 01.5 Passat, 08 Accord 6-6

post #13 of 18 Old 08-14-2010, 05:43 AM
5th Gear

In my opinion part of your problem is going to multiple shops and having work done. Each shop has different machines and has no idea what the other did. In addition the shops you are going to are mass market shops, they are less likely to spend the time to have calibrated gear, and zero things out. Many alignment rigs are out spec due to parts being dropped / damaged or lack of caring. Just because one shop has brand X of machine does not mean its out of spec of the parts have been dropped.

I think what you need is a good tuner shop that works on lowered cars (more touchy) and is willing to spend the time to both align, diagnose, and fix everything.

random question, what is the offset on the rims you have? I seem to recall you having non stock rims... The reason I ask is there was a previous post by another member complaining about "odd loose" steering, and things were fixed when he went back to stock.

And yes. Break in the tires.

2006 AV6 6sp
post #14 of 18 Old 08-14-2010, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I'd give the tires at least 500 - 1,000 miles to break in. What you're describing sounds normal.

From Tire Rack :
OH damn... The tire place really didn't tell me about a break-in period, and I have already been driving the tires moderately spiritedly.

Did I negatively affect the tires if I haven't been driving them very easy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpaudio2 View Post
In my opinion part of your problem is going to multiple shops and having work done. Each shop has different machines and has no idea what the other did. In addition the shops you are going to are mass market shops, they are less likely to spend the time to have calibrated gear, and zero things out. Many alignment rigs are out spec due to parts being dropped / damaged or lack of caring. Just because one shop has brand X of machine does not mean its out of spec of the parts have been dropped.

I think what you need is a good tuner shop that works on lowered cars (more touchy) and is willing to spend the time to both align, diagnose, and fix everything.

random question, what is the offset on the rims you have? I seem to recall you having non stock rims... The reason I ask is there was a previous post by another member complaining about "odd loose" steering, and things were fixed when he went back to stock.

And yes. Break in the tires.
stock 06 AV6 rims

+ Desert Mist
= Sexy
post #15 of 18 Old 08-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingNFront View Post
OH damn... The tire place really didn't tell me about a break-in period, and I have already been driving the tires moderately spiritedly.

Did I negatively affect the tires if I haven't been driving them very easy?
I think the main concern is safety. While the manufacturing lubrication chemicals are still wearing off, the tires won't be as grippy. Anything is possible but I highly doubt you've damaged them. I would avoid foot stomping braking that could cause a slight flight spot and tail skidding turns . . . But moderately spirited driving shouldn't hurt. After I had the Contis put on, I took the back roads and pushed them thru the curves. Not as hard I normally might have but I leaned into the turns pretty good.

Current: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 1989 Prelude Si

Come & Gone: 84 Accord HB, 91 CRX Si, 89 Accord LXi, 90 Accord LX Cpe, 94 Accord EX, 95 Accord EX Cpe, 98 Accord EX, 99 A4, 03 Accord EX-L, 91 Civic RT4WD Wagon, 06 Accord EX-L NAVI, 09 Mazda 6 iGT

From The Dark Period: 01.5 Passat, 08 Accord 6-6

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.