2005 Honda Accord Timing Chain - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
7Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-01-2017, 07:39 AM
allienvr

Thumbs down 2005 Honda Accord Timing Chain

Hi!
So I had an oil change done on November 4th, 2017. On November 29th, 2017 my car starting shaking really bad and shut off, and wouldn't start again. I called a mechanic to come check it out and ironically when he checked the oil, the stick was bone dry. Even after multiple dips back in, still nothing on the stick. I called the dealership where the oil was changed and they said I would need to bring the car in because there had to be some sort of oil leak. My inspection sheet confirms no oil leak and when they put my car up on the rack, still no oil leak. They call me and stated in 3 weeks my car burned the oil because the timing chain jumped time. My car has not been smoking nor have I ever had this problem before hand. Someone please tell me how is the timing chain the reason that my car has NO OIL?!!

Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-01-2017, 07:43 AM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by allienvr View Post
Hi!
So I had an oil change done on November 4th, 2017. On November 29th, 2017 my car starting shaking really bad and shut off, and wouldn't start again. I called a mechanic to come check it out and ironically when he checked the oil, the stick was bone dry. Even after multiple dips back in, still nothing on the stick. I called the dealership where the oil was changed and they said I would need to bring the car in because there had to be some sort of oil leak. My inspection sheet confirms no oil leak and when they put my car up on the rack, still no oil leak. They call me and stated in 3 weeks my car burned the oil because the timing chain jumped time. My car has not been smoking nor have I ever had this problem before hand. Someone please tell me how is the timing chain the reason that my car has NO OIL?!!
I have had two different Honda Accords from 2007 both burn oil. And, unless if you are really getting on it on the highway, you will never see it. From my understanding, the oil control rings on the Pistons develop carving on them which leads to decreased control of the oil staying in the engine, otherwise known as oil burning to most Honda owners.

Once you get that timing chain replaced, and assuming that there is no further damage or excessive wear due to the lack of oil pressure oh, I would highly suggest to use Marvel Mystery Oil. There are two different applications that you could use for the Mystery Oil. One is to do a top and soak overnight to allow the Marvel Mystery Oil to decarbonize the engine. If you are like me and are always on the go, you could just substitute one quart of Marvel Mystery Oil for one quart of oil.

I wish you luck with this issue, and hope to hear back from you again soon. A lot of the other Forum members on this particular sub-forum have also had oil burning issues on the 4-cylinder Honda Accords as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 17xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
post #3 of 17 Old 12-01-2017, 07:47 AM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,324 Posts
Whoever did your oil change probably forgot to add oil.

Whoever operates your car probably failed to check oil level- which is a "required" maintenance item listed in your owner's manual.

If no leaks- you burned oil or it was never added to begin with.

You did not list mileage, nor where you live, nor how long you have owned the car, nor where you had the oil change done, nor anything else. So who knows?

For everyone else- check your oil level regularly- and especially after an oil change. You are in charge of you, not some clown at an oil change place. With great power (Accord 4 banger) comes great responsibility.

Low or no oil will cause a timing chain to stretch and make the engine inoperable.
KW2004Accord likes this.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
144k miles (as of Dec '17)

post #4 of 17 Old 12-01-2017, 08:00 AM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
How many miles did you put in that one month? It would be a bit much to burn everything in a month if you didn't drive too much. If you did not check the oil level before and let it run low a couple of times, then your chain could have stretched and jumped time.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 176k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2003 Ford F-150
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #5 of 17 Old 12-01-2017, 08:06 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
They call me and stated in 3 weeks my car burned the oil because the timing chain jumped time.
More like, they forgot to add oil and it eventually ruined the timing chain, which probably wasn't in good shape to begin with. A car doesn't go from burning zero to voracious, in a few weeks. This is why you check your oil, especially after someone works on your car. You can't trust blindly. How many stories have we heard of missing oil bungs or oil caps left off? That said, your oil light should have come on.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
post #6 of 17 Old 12-01-2017, 08:19 AM
Out of Control

Follow this rule and you’ll never have a problem:

The full mark is the low mark

2005 EX-L Sedan, i4 + Automatic. over 185K and counting. runs like a clock.
V6 TL-S fsb/rsb
V6 battery upgrade
V6 strut bar
Weathertech floor liners
Tinted windows
New vtec gasket
New dipstick o-rings (thanks qman)
Penzoil Platinum 0W20
Fram ultra synthetic oil filter

Most meticulously maintained accord on this site

Quote:
An interference engine is one which interferes with your wallet if you don't keep a solid timing belt in it. -qman
post #7 of 17 Old 12-01-2017, 08:52 AM
5th Gear

Something so basic and easy to do in that car has catastrophic consequences when not done right.

I've never trusted anyone to change my oil
WDHewson likes this.

2007 Honda Accord EX Sedan I4 auto
Self-installed Viper 2-way remote starter alarm
96k miles as of 12/3/2017
post #8 of 17 Old 12-01-2017, 09:20 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
They call me and stated in 3 weeks my car burned the oil because the timing chain jumped time. My car has not been smoking nor have I ever had this problem before hand. Someone please tell me how is the timing chain the reason that my car has NO OIL?!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by salcuta View Post
If you did not check the oil level before and let it run low a couple of times, then your chain could have stretched and jumped time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew03Accord View Post
More like, they forgot to add oil and it eventually ruined the timing chain, which probably wasn't in good shape to begin with.
I agree. It was low oil that caused the timing chain failure, not the other way around. Even if somehow the chain did skip a tooth, it would not cause the engine to burn any more oil than normal (to an extent).

2006 Accord SE I4 5AT Sedan - Graphite Pearl - 100k mi
post #9 of 17 Old 12-01-2017, 09:32 AM
allienvr

The car has 250,000 miles, in the timeframe I have drove about 800 miles before the issue happened. I do not believe it is the case of them putting no oil in but at the time I had the oil changed it was also 3 recalls done so my speculation is, maybe they forgot to change it? or maybe they didn't put all 5 quarts in? I am not sure, however this is a one owner car and I have never had any problems.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-01-2017, 12:34 PM
6th Gear

I have the same engine, once on a trip the day after an oil change & check I drove 8 hrs. interstate & was down a qt. Next day drove 4 hrs. interstate & down a half qt. then drove 8-10 hrs. interstate daily for a week & oil level remained the full mark. You should be checking the oil weekly, maybe your car has reached a point when it is starting to use more oil. Low or dirty oil will cause the chain to stretch, maybe you had low oil other times & didn't notice. 4.5 qts. is what is put in on a oil change. Ever change the PCV valve ? Higher mileage 4 cyl. 7th. gen. can become oil users. Also your timing chain tensioner could of failed, I am on my 3rd. one.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 507K - 2017 EX automatic
post #11 of 17 Old 12-01-2017, 12:49 PM
allienvr

with the car having 250,000 miles and apparently the whole motor would need replacing, would it even be worth fixing or should I just junk it and buy a new car?
post #12 of 17 Old 12-01-2017, 01:04 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
with the car having 250,000 miles and apparently the whole motor would need replacing, would it even be worth fixing or should I just junk it and buy a new car?
Hard call, when the head gasket went on my car 501K, it was about a 1K repair. Even though the rest of the car was in good condition, after talking it over with 2 mechanics I decided to buy a new Accord as both thought other repairs may soon be needed. Still driving the 04 though (on borrowed time). You could look for another low mileage 2006-2007 Accord also if not wanting to get a new one.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 507K - 2017 EX automatic
post #13 of 17 Old 12-01-2017, 01:48 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew03Accord View Post
More like, they forgot to add oil and it eventually ruined the timing chain, which probably wasn't in good shape to begin with. A car doesn't go from burning zero to voracious, in a few weeks. This is why you check your oil, especially after someone works on your car. You can't trust blindly. How many stories have we heard of missing oil bungs or oil caps left off? That said, your oil light should have come on.
I can add one:
Name: IMG_4701.jpg
Views: 266
Size: 55.9 KB

All that wet-ness is oil that sprayed out of the hole. The radiator reserve tank was also missing its cap. The difference was that cap was nowhere to be found. This car came in while I worked at Goodyear. I get to do nothing but tires at my new job.

A honda civic came in one day that had the oil cap left loose, and it lost 2 quarts through it.

I hate hearing about head gaskets that retired cars. If my head gasket(either or both) blew, I would replace the sh*t out of it.
jimijam likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Ah so you do have a drinking problem. You do not drink enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
The 9th Gen V6 Accord is the "mullet haircut" of the car industry. Bidness in the front, but party in the back when it's "GO TIME".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropgun View Post
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 152K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
The Following User Says Thank You to Das Chicken For This Useful Post:
KW2004Accord (12-01-2017)
post #14 of 17 Old 12-01-2017, 04:09 PM
Roll Tide!

They put oil in his car or it would not have ran for three weeks without seizing on the day after the oil change. If his car doesn't hemorrhage oil (big shout to Drew03Accord and chris918 on that), the oil change monkey likely shorted him on some oil, chain stretched from low oil (if it wasn't already stretched from past hemorrhaging) and maybe to the point it skipped teeth, then car continued to burned what little oil it had in it at a faster rate than if it was full to begin with. Then again, the monkey who called him with this diagnosis could be telling a story to increase the bill.
tigertank88m likes this.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #15 of 17 Old 12-01-2017, 04:17 PM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,324 Posts
Reminds me of the time I poured 4.5 quarts of oil in when I realized I was stepping in oil. That's right, I forgot to replace the oil drain plug. That's what I get for talking on the phone while changing my oil. Made it to Advance Auto with 2 minutes to spare- "Got any of that oil dry stuff- just in case? Also, I might as well pick up another chris918 5 quart jug of oil as long as I am here because the price is so good."

I should have applied to be the oil change guy at the dealership. I would have been king.

It's good to be king.

t-rd, jimijam and DatsunSaves like this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.