Cooling System and Flow - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
11Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 11-30-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Cooling System and Flow

Can someone describe the flow diagram of 7th Gen cooling system? Try to be descriptive as possible e.g. the fan turns on at ?? temperature.
Also, is there any resistance ratings for the ECT sensor to verify correct readings?

Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 11-30-2017, 11:55 AM
Roll Tide!

The fans having nothing to with flow. That's the water pump and thermostat's job, unless Drew03Accord states otherwise. Drew should tell you that if a stat is stuck closed, there is no flow at all. If it's stuck open, flow all the time. Most stats fail open, not closed. t-rd prolly has the temps when your fans kick on when the A/C is not engaged.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimijam For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (11-30-2017)
post #3 of 35 Old 11-30-2017, 12:08 PM
Out of Control

He asked fir a description of the diagram, not the system itself. I'm guessing he'd like a description of the line widths, word fonts, arrow colors, etc.

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.

post #4 of 35 Old 11-30-2017, 12:59 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Your fan on temperature will depend on which engine you have. My 2006 V6 turns the fan on at 202F. My 2005 I4 would turn the fan on above 210, maybe 212? I don't remember for sure. Normal operating temperature for both is 186, thermostat fully open at 193.

I would suggest comparing temperatures between sensors while the engine is cold, outside temp sensor(if equipped), intake temp sensor, and coolant temp sensor. If they are different, something is probably wrong.

Here is the V6 cooling system.
Name: V6 cooling system.jpg
Views: 236
Size: 50.7 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Ah so you do have a drinking problem. You do not drink enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
The 9th Gen V6 Accord is the "mullet haircut" of the car industry. Bidness in the front, but party in the back when it's "GO TIME".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropgun View Post
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 152K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
post #5 of 35 Old 11-30-2017, 02:42 PM

Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,325 Posts
Quote:
I'm guessing he'd like a description of the line widths, word fonts, arrow colors, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Chicken View Post
Your fan on temperature will depend on which engine you have.
OP can't give out no information. You boys are gonna have to earn this one.

jimijam and qman like this.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
144k miles (as of Dec '17)
post #6 of 35 Old 11-30-2017, 03:51 PM
Roll Tide!

Quote:
He asked fir a description of the diagram, not the system itself. I'm guessing he'd like a description of the line widths, word fonts, arrow colors, etc.
My bad. Since we are past Enlightenment, he could be searching for an exploded-view schematic, flow process chart, or one of several other diagrams that would suit his needs. Perhaps bobbo can assist since he is a real whiz with fonts and colors.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #7 of 35 Old 11-30-2017, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Which direction does the coolant flow? Out the radiator top hose into the engine or out the lower hose into the thermostat?
I think its the former and if so, is it possible for no coolant to be near the thermostat thus not opening it because there is no temperature to measure?
Note: My question is based upon an I4.
post #8 of 35 Old 11-30-2017, 05:49 PM
Roll Tide!

when you removed the stuck closed stat and replaced it a few days ago and burped the system that resolved your overheating issue, did you happen to notice which direction the valve on the stat was pointing? that is the direction of the flow. ain't that right Drew03Accord?

it's very possible for there to be no coolant at the thermostat, but that would mean you are WAY low on coolant or have a huge pocket of air the size of texas.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #9 of 35 Old 11-30-2017, 06:14 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeresOtis View Post
Which direction does the coolant flow? Out the radiator top hose into the engine or out the lower hose into the thermostat?
I think its the former and if so, is it possible for no coolant to be near the thermostat thus not opening it because there is no temperature to measure?
Note: My question is based upon an I4.
Probably flows from radiator lower hose into thermostat. Here is what I found so far, no mention of fan on temps or resistance values yet.
Name: I4 cooling system.jpg
Views: 202
Size: 42.9 KB

EDIT: Here is some more. Fan switch testing.

Name: I4 radiator fan switch testing 1.jpg
Views: 199
Size: 52.6 KB
Name: I4 radiator fan switch testing 2.jpg
Views: 199
Size: 95.4 KB

Quote:
Quote:
The 9th Gen V6 Accord is the "mullet haircut" of the car industry. Bidness in the front, but party in the back when it's "GO TIME".
Quote:
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 152K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
The Following User Says Thank You to Das Chicken For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (11-30-2017)
post #10 of 35 Old 11-30-2017, 06:59 PM

The upper radiator hose on every car I've seen brings hot coolant to the very top of the radiator....gravity (and the pressure created by the water pump) does its thing and the hot coolant cascades down the radiator internals as you drive the car- allowing cooler air to be forced towards the radiator to dissipate the heat that was absorbed by the cooling fins of the radiator.

By the time the coolant gets to the bottom of the radiator, and to the lower radiator hose- the coolant may be 20-30 degrees F cooler than the hot coolant entering the top of the radiator.

In olden days the radiator fan was belt driven- always "on". Nowadays it is electric and switch triggered.

Vanilla Ice's back-up singers: Will it ever stop?
Vanilla Ice: Yo, I don't know.
t-rd, jimijam, Das Chicken and 1 others like this.
post #11 of 35 Old 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

So from my interpretation of what the service manual says, 2003-2004 I4s have one ECT sensor. 2005-2007 have two. Couldn't find anything on resistance values, just a whole bunch of continuity test pictures.

Older models
Name: I4 ECT location 2003.jpg
Views: 189
Size: 89.9 KB

Newer.
Name: 2007 I4 ECT 1.jpg
Views: 188
Size: 132.5 KB
Name: 2007 I4 ECT 2.jpg
Views: 188
Size: 123.1 KB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You high?
The Following User Says Thank You to Das Chicken For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (11-30-2017)
post #12 of 35 Old 11-30-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Resistance values of these sensors will provide better diagnostics of problems, rather than a simple continuity test. Honda should've provided those values.
Anyways, if you pour coolant down the radiator, will that go all the way to the thermostat? If so, how will that coolant heat up if it's between the thermostat and radiator, thus heat from the engine should never reach it.

On the attached picture, the lower radiator hose is attached to the black opening of the thermostat. The sensor of the thermostat is on the interior of the engine block. So coolant on engine block has to activate the thermostat. But what if there is not enough coolant in the engine? Thus overheating problems. How can you get coolant into the engine on these Hondas?
This is all weird because (I think) more commonly for vehicles, the thermostat is attached to the top radiator hose and it will push open the thermostat and flow into the radiator.
As shown in the video.

A question for you: is the sensor in the blue circle or in the red circle?
Attached Images
post #13 of 35 Old 11-30-2017, 08:30 PM

Hey Otis, you are welcome!
post #14 of 35 Old 11-30-2017, 08:33 PM
Roll Tide!

the red circle is the valve that i asked you about. in the pic, the coolant would be flowing through the stat housing and down past the valve, or top to bottom.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #15 of 35 Old 11-30-2017, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Hey Otis, you are welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
the red circle is the valve that i asked you about. in the pic, the coolant would be flowing through the stat housing and down past the valve, or top to bottom.
If it flows from top to bottom, then the coolant at the bottom of the radiator has to be hot to open the thermostat? But isn't the actual sensing component in the red circle?

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.