Sparkplug ejection! - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 07-20-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Sparkplug ejection!

Hey guys, my 2005 V6 accord was making a strange ticking noise. I took it in to our shop and the mechanic figured it was the serpentine belt. So we changed that but still the ticking continued. About a week later i booked another appointment for the next tuesday. well before the appointment i was driving home from work and out of no where my engine light starts blinking then POP! a nice loud noise followed by the sound of a single cylinder running open header. I milked it to the shop only to find out the sparkplug and all of the threads had blown right out. Now my question is... Can we helicoil with the head atill on the motor or must we remove it? Has this ever happened to anyone else? Thanks

2005 Accord EX V6 Coupe 6-Speed-Daily Driver
1991 CRX Si W/B18C5-Auto X
1/4mile:
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 07-21-2010, 03:12 AM
Just another old guy ....

Helicoil with the head still on the motor is possible, but not advisable to do so. The risk is the small metal pieces that the drilling out and re-threading of the hole will drop down into the combustion chamber. These small bits of metal can then damage you cylinder wall which can lead to a loss of compression and the burning of oil in that cylinder.

I know it's a PITA and $$$ to have to pull the head to do this job properly, but in the long run, it will be cheaper.

post #3 of 51 Old 07-21-2010, 04:48 AM
6th Gear

Do you run this car hard???? Just curious, because I have NEVER heard of this happening to any accord. Wow.

2014 Accord Sport CVT
Champagne Frost Pearl
Kicker 300watt Amp
Kicker CompR 12/ Ported Box

SON OF THUNDER

post #4 of 51 Old 07-21-2010, 06:24 AM
2nd Gear

We just had something very similar on our Pilot but got to it before the plug blew out. It had what sounded like a loud metallic ticking noise coming from the front of the engine. Couldn't figure out what it was. No illuminated CEL and no fault codes. We needed the car for a long trip, so I brought it in. On the way to the dealer, the CEL came on. One of the plugs was loose and the heat that was escaping from the cylinder fried the coil pack over that plug. When listening to the ticking noise, I would never have imagined a loose spark plug. I guess the person installing the plugs during assembly of our engine was a little off with the torque wrench that day. Regarding the heli-coil, I agree with The Pope. Cut new threads and install the heli-coil with the head off the engine. I have cut new threads in small engines and tried to capture the metal shavings by using heavy grease on the tap, but you never catch them all. I always cut the threads, removed the head and blew the shavings away with compressed air. Of course the head on a 5HP mower engine is a little easier to get at than a V6. Good luck.

2006 Accord EX-L Sedan V6MT : Mud guards, 20mm TL rear sway bar, trunk tray, Akebono pads + Brembo rotors
2006 Pilot EX-L : Roof rack, hitch, side steps, bug deflector, mud guards, fender flare kit, bull bar, driving lights, cargo tray, Akebono pads + Brembo rotors, transmission cooler
2006 CRF250R
1985 TRX125
1987 Mustang GT
post #5 of 51 Old 07-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Not a n00b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCRX View Post
Hey guys, my 2005 V6 accord was making a strange ticking noise. I took it in to our shop and the mechanic figured it was the serpentine belt. So we changed that but still the ticking continued. About a week later i booked another appointment for the next tuesday. well before the appointment i was driving home from work and out of no where my engine light starts blinking then POP! a nice loud noise followed by the sound of a single cylinder running open header. I milked it to the shop only to find out the sparkplug and all of the threads had blown right out. Now my question is... Can we helicoil with the head atill on the motor or must we remove it? Has this ever happened to anyone else? Thanks
I disagree with the others. I've done helicoils with the head on. I stuffed an oil coated rag in the combustion chamber (making sure that cylinder was at TDC) and vacuumed out the shavings. (this is the same way that the residential AC guys ream out the copper pipe before soldering it). Once i was done, i pulled the rag and then blew the cylinder out the spark plug hole with compressed air (from the injector).. mind you this was a toyota 4 banger hemi... a Honda V6 might be a little more challenging.

I had to do this cause the mechanic that worked on my engine did not tighten down one of the plugs properly and i had the same problem you did...

Good luck!

05 Accord EXV6 - leather, OEM fogs, TSX Retrofit Projectors, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Mud Guards, HFP Lip Spoiler, 20% Tint all around, HFP Suspension, Autostart Two Way Remote starter, 16" Kumho I'zen Winters, 17" Acura TL wheels with NEXEN 3000 summers
post #6 of 51 Old 07-21-2010, 09:39 AM
4th Gear

I have had much better success with these than with heli-coils.
post #7 of 51 Old 07-21-2010, 05:06 PM

Time-serts, most definitely. Heli coils aren't as reliable in this application.

Has anyone, at anytime taken out a plug or plugs to check them? The blowout usually only occurs when the plug is put back in with an already crushed compression washer and insufficient tightening torque. Or if it was done at the factory, it's possible it was undertorqued.

These heads are fully threaded unlike some other makes that only use 4 threads per plug hole.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #8 of 51 Old 07-21-2010, 05:33 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Is there any chance the threads in the head are still good?

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #9 of 51 Old 07-21-2010, 06:35 PM

It's possible, a good mirror and a bright light will show that.

Getting a 14mm x 1.25 spark plug thread chaser and running in the hole will tell for sure if there's usable threads in there.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

post #10 of 51 Old 07-22-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
These heads are fully threaded unlike some other makes that only use 4 threads per plug hole.
What makes are like that? So I know never to buy one.
post #11 of 51 Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
Time-serts, most definitely. Heli coils aren't as reliable in this application.

Has anyone, at anytime taken out a plug or plugs to check them? The blowout usually only occurs when the plug is put back in with an already crushed compression washer and insufficient tightening torque. Or if it was done at the factory, it's possible it was undertorqued.

Mine was definitely from the factory. I have had no need to check or re-gap the plugs and never touched them. I did ask the dealer to check the torque on the remaining 5 plugs and had them mark it on the paperwork.

2006 Accord EX-L Sedan V6MT : Mud guards, 20mm TL rear sway bar, trunk tray, Akebono pads + Brembo rotors
2006 Pilot EX-L : Roof rack, hitch, side steps, bug deflector, mud guards, fender flare kit, bull bar, driving lights, cargo tray, Akebono pads + Brembo rotors, transmission cooler
2006 CRF250R
1985 TRX125
1987 Mustang GT
post #12 of 51 Old 07-22-2010, 04:55 PM

Nearly all Fords had only 4 plugs per hole.

This came to a momentous pile in the mid 90s to 2003 when Lightnings like mine blew out plugs, and required cylinder heads. This is what made Time-Sert a godsend, they came out with an on the vehicle fix, that doesn't require heads as long as a butcher hasn't gotten into the motor.

Then it started to happen to all modular motors during that time, as I'd guess an issue at the assembly plants occurred. The plugs were blowing out as early as 30k. I still have to put new plugs in my L, but am lazy, and it's a huge pain to change them.

Then it started going around to nearly ALL of their cars. Usually after someone changed plugs. The torque that Ford specified wasn't enough on the taper seat plug. I have never had a plug blow out on a Ford that I've replaced plugs on. But I do tighten them a bit more than the 11 ftlb that Ford states is all that's needed.

In 2003, Ford began updating many of their engines with the more typical 8 threads per hole.

And we won't even go to the '04 and up 3 valve V8/V10 and what happens to those plugs. Makes blowing out plugs much more preferable.

post #13 of 51 Old 05-01-2013, 06:41 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2005 Honda Accord V6, bought it brand new . Got the GPS, leather seats and all. Expected to get well over 140000 miles till breakdown. I took real good care of this car and the engine light came on. Took it to Honda and they want to charge $5000.00 to replace the block due to the coil spark plug and cylinder is all burnt up due to the seal that is between the spark plug and valve cover into the cylinder blew out and burnt everything up. They said they couldn't even try to remachine this head. What a nightmare! Called Honda, they offered no help and quoted that this only happens to 1 in every 600 of this Model . So that is not enough for a recall? Uhhhggggg!

Last edited by damoon; 05-01-2013 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Add more.
post #14 of 51 Old 05-01-2013, 10:42 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebomb View Post
Do you run this car hard???? Just curious, because I have NEVER heard of this happening to any accord. Wow.

Are you joking when you said you never heard of this before?? Google it.. this is hardly the first time.. and I bet It was his #5 sparkplug that shot out....
The Following User Says Thank You to Arkainzeye For This Useful Post:
skyfire322 (11-06-2014)
post #15 of 51 Old 05-01-2013, 12:21 PM
2nd Gear

yeah i have read a lot about this.....that ol #5 lol....

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.