Airbag light intermittently on - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
5Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 65 Old 05-24-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Airbag light intermittently on

Ok so, for the last 2 weeks, every now and then, when I start the car and start driving, I notice that the red airbag light in the instrument cluster stays on.

But if I turn the car off and turn it on again, it goes away... It has happened about 4 times in the last 2 weeks and hasn't happened before that.

What can be causing this?

Thanks

2006 Accord EXL-V6 Auto 4dr (CM6)
+ Desert Mist
+ MODS: HFP suspension with Ingalls rear camber kit, Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit, Nokya Hyper Yellow drl/highs, 17mm TL rear sway bar, JBL GTO 6x9's and tweeters, splash guards, WeatherTech DigitalFit floorliners (front) and Honda all-weather floormats (rear), trunk tray, hood bra.... More to come
= Sexy
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 05-24-2010, 10:53 PM
2nd Gear

Ive had the same problem, it seems to happen when I move the seat to let someone get in the back (i have a coupe). Saw on another forum that its due to the seatbelt restraints not working properly and/or an airbag sensor issue. Also in my research it seems there was a recall on some hondas because of the weight sensor under the seat, which determines height and proximity to the steering wheel I believe, isn't working properly.
Check this also:

post #3 of 65 Old 05-25-2010, 05:54 AM
6th Gear

Have the dealership check the code. Even if the light goes off a code is still stored. If I recall correctly all of the safety features on the car (seatbelts, etc.) have a lifetime warranty. If you were in an accident they may charge you for it though.

-03 Honda Accord EX V6
-Debadged-17mm sway bar-UR crank pulley-AEM CAI

post #4 of 65 Old 05-25-2010, 06:17 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Probably the driverside seat belt buckle. If you buckle the seat belt, then turn the key on, the light will probably go out. That's why, when you turn the key off, then back on, the light goes out, because now you have the seat belt buckled. They should replace that free of charge.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 14,000 miles so far
post #5 of 65 Old 05-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Out of Control

Forget the dealer, just use a jumper to short the OBDII port

post #6 of 65 Old 05-25-2010, 10:14 PM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

Use the search feature. This has been discussed plenty of times. You are describing the classic case of the driver side seat belt buckle wearing out from use. Honda will replace it for free because they cover the seat belts for the life of the vehicle.
post #7 of 65 Old 05-27-2010, 03:09 PM
6th Gear

well for mines.. ever since I installed a double-din unit in my car and mounted the brain under the passenger seat, when I have a passenger sit in the car and I start up the engine, the airbag light is on. Other times, the light flashes for about 10 seconds after I start the engine and disappears.

2004 Honda Accord LX-i4 Sedan
Mod list can be found here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom mod:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY - 7th Gen I4 Drive Belt Replacement

post #8 of 65 Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Texas Ground Pounder

Garage
I also have been having this problem for a few months. I talked to the dealer about it and mentioned the issue about the seat belt sensor. They informed me that if it was indeed the sensor it would be covered. However, if it was an issue with the computer it would not be. This quickly made me cringe. One sure way I have found to get it to not turn on is to put the key in ignition and turn it to the on position. With my automatic trans, the dash will light up both "P" and "D" on boot. I buckle the seat belt and wait for the "D" light to turn off, then start the car. Every time I wait a few seconds before cranking the engine, the light turns off. If I start it too quickly, it's a crap shoot.

2003 Accord EX Sedan V6 Auto NAVI (Noble Green Pearl)
Mods:Fog Lights-front & rear TL sway bar-V6 MT shock tower bar-AEM V2-Magnaflow cat-back-Window & Moon visors-Kaminari Lip Kit-Bug Shield-CUSCO Type II TSX Lower brace-Enkei EV5 wheels-Trans Cooler
Audio/Video:audio under construction-KP window up, one touch moonroof, mirror tilt-Dice iPod-Rear Camera-TVandNav2go Video
Wish List:Air Ride-Charger
post #9 of 65 Old 07-01-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Went to Honda last week and they replaced the seat sensor (NOT the seat belt buckle)... I left Honda and I have the same problem. Airbag light coming on and off...

So I went back today, and had them take another look at the car for the problem. I then told the service advisor that I am a member on the forums and that I learned that the seatbelt buckle itself has been the cause of a similar problem to the one that I am having... He said they would check the code...

Called us back in, and he said that the code came up as the seat sensor again, but the sensor is fine, so they are going to replace the entire SRS unit. I said, "the airbag?"... He said, "no, the part that the sensor goes into and the part that reads the sensor"...

That makes absolutely no sense to me... But I said ok...

They are going to do it next week when I drop the car off to swap the transmission.

+ Desert Mist
+ MODS: HFP suspension with Ingalls rear camber kit, Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit, Nokya Hyper Yellow drl/highs, 17mm TL rear sway bar, JBL GTO 6x9's and tweeters, splash guards, WeatherTech DigitalFit floorliners (front) and Honda all-weather floormats (rear), trunk tray, hood bra.... More to come
= Sexy
post #10 of 65 Old 07-01-2010, 02:40 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingNFront View Post
Went to Honda last week and they replaced the seat sensor (NOT the seat belt buckle)... I left Honda and I have the same problem. Airbag light coming on and off...

So I went back today, and had them take another look at the car for the problem. I then told the service advisor that I am a member on the forums and that I learned that the seatbelt buckle itself has been the cause of a similar problem to the one that I am having... He said they would check the code...

Called us back in, and he said that the code came up as the seat sensor again, but the sensor is fine, so they are going to replace the entire SRS unit. I said, "the airbag?"... He said, "no, the part that the sensor goes into and the part that reads the sensor"...

That makes absolutely no sense to me... But I said ok...

They are going to do it next week when I drop the car off to swap the transmission.
How does it not make sense? If the sensor is fine, the only other option besides the wiring would be the ABS module (what they're changing).

-03 Honda Accord EX V6
-Debadged-17mm sway bar-UR crank pulley-AEM CAI
post #11 of 65 Old 07-01-2010, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordriver View Post
How does it not make sense? If the sensor is fine, the only other option besides the wiring would be the ABS module (what they're changing).
I guess it can make sense... However, I have gotten MANY forum members telling me that they have had this problem and it was the seatbelt sensor... Actually ALL on V6P said that, and some in this very thread as well... I just feel like this particular dealer is trying to throw things at the problems in hopes of that being a solution. But then again, I didn't see what code it was, and they told me that is what the code was for... The seat sensor... So we will see

+ Desert Mist
= Sexy
post #12 of 65 Old 07-01-2010, 03:37 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingNFront View Post
I guess it can make sense... However, I have gotten MANY forum members telling me that they have had this problem and it was the seatbelt sensor... Actually ALL on V6P said that, and some in this very thread as well... I just feel like this particular dealer is trying to throw things at the problems in hopes of that being a solution. But then again, I didn't see what code it was, and they told me that is what the code was for... The seat sensor... So we will see
Which dealer is this? I go to Atlantic Honda (Bay Shore) when I'm in NY.

2004 Honda Accord LX-i4 Sedan
Mod list can be found here:

Custom mod:

DIY - 7th Gen I4 Drive Belt Replacement

post #13 of 65 Old 07-01-2010, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznAccord08 View Post
Which dealer is this? I go to Atlantic Honda (Bay Shore) when I'm in NY.
Huntington

+ Desert Mist
= Sexy
post #14 of 65 Old 07-01-2010, 03:53 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Sounds like this particular dealership is milking the warranty for every penny they can get. Just replacing the buckle wouldn't net them enough profits? I guess. Does the ABS modulator have anything to do with airbags? I don't think so, but I'm sure there is a brain (computer) for the airbag system, and that could be the problem. Who knows?

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 14,000 miles so far
post #15 of 65 Old 07-01-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
Sounds like this particular dealership is milking the warranty for every penny they can get. Just replacing the buckle wouldn't net them enough profits? I guess. Does the ABS modulator have anything to do with airbags? I don't think so, but I'm sure there is a brain (computer) for the airbag system, and that could be the problem. Who knows?
Well, that is what they are talking about replacing... We will see this coming week... If it doesn't work, they are going to just have to REALLY replace it next time, and I am not going to be happy, and they are going to know it. I think that is probably the best solution right now... Just seeing what they come up with

+ Desert Mist
= Sexy
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.