HELP! Wiring up LED Projector Headlamps - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-20-2010, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Formerly TN03EX

Exclamation HELP! Wiring up LED Projector Headlamps

I recently bought a set of these halo projectors for my 2003 EX:

Does anyone on here have any experience wiring these up?

As instructed, I took my car to a "professional" to have them installed. He was able to hook everything up except the LEDs. He is saying that I need to provide a wiring harness, but everything I've read says that it does not need a wiring harness. Is this guy doing it wrong? How should he go about doing it?

Please help (or point me to someone who can)!!!

2017 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe
Crystal Black Pearl | Ivory
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods:
- splash guards
- door sills
- interior illumination
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GoSafe 268 dash cam

Previous: 2003 Accord EX | 1997 Accord LX | 1989 Accord LX-i
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-20-2010, 11:43 AM
‎']['{[]}{[]}][_

I had a set of those (all chrome) a long while back.

Here's the deal with those headlights. If you looked at them outta the box, you'd notice that there are "extra" black and red wires (at least that was the color on mine) with no connectors of any sort hanging out the back of the headlights. Those, of course, are the wires for the LED's. The professional installer is right, you do need a harness if you don't want to splice those wires into your OEM harness. I'm pretty sure, he doesn't want to run the risk of damaging your OEM harness by splicing into it; god knows how expensive that would be to replace your OEM harness or worse yet, electrically damaging other key components on your car from a bad splice...or the guy's just dumbfounded as to how to splice them into your car...

So in the end, you either need an extra harness to splice your LED's into or you can hardwire/splice them directly into your turn signal wires (like I did); more specifically the parking light wire not the intermittent turn signal wire.

Hope that helps you out a little bit...not sure who else you could take them to to convince them to splice those LEDs into your OEM harness...

ASM 2007 EX-V6 6MT Sedan
MODS:
-35% tint
-Acura TSX retro headlights (Blacked out) w/amber LED turn sig bulbs & "bullet" angel eyes
-Depo Fogs w/2500K bulbs
-Hybrid Tail Lamps w/red 7w LED turn sig bulbs
-Custom JDM style grill & mesh lower grill insert
-K&N Typhoon CAI
-USA Spec iPod interface
-Front 12.6" Wilwood BBK & Rear 12" upgrade w/15mm Ichiba wheel spacers

FUTURE MODS:
-Tein Coilovers
-Vossen 19" VVS-CV3
-Hybrid Mirrors
-Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust
post #3 of 17 Old 04-20-2010, 12:00 PM
3rd Gear

Please post pics when you get them up and running. I was thinking about getting them as well but I feel the beam pattern will be horrible. Will you be installing them with HID's?

post #4 of 17 Old 04-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Coldspeed

Against suggestion I spliced the LED wires into my side markers on my 6th gen. Didn't cause any damage for me for over a year, I could've been lucky though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougw03 View Post
Please post pics when you get them up and running. I was thinking about getting them as well but I feel the beam pattern will be horrible. Will you be installing them with HID's?
Here's what mine looked like. Practically the same. Sorry no pics of my HID's, but I had 8000k's and the cut off was pretty decent. Can't vouche for all of them though.

12/06-04/08 '93 Sentra SE cpe
08/07-02/10 '98 Accord EX-V6 cpe
07/08-05/09 '91 Festiva
3/10-Current '03 Accord EXNV-V6 cpe
post #5 of 17 Old 04-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Not a n00b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN03EX View Post
I recently bought a set of these halo projectors for my 2003 EX:

Does anyone on here have any experience wiring these up?

As instructed, I took my car to a "professional" to have them installed. He was able to hook everything up except the LEDs. He is saying that I need to provide a wiring harness, but everything I've read says that it does not need a wiring harness. Is this guy doing it wrong? How should he go about doing it?

Please help (or point me to someone who can)!!!
It all depends on what you want those LED's to do.. if you want them to come on with the parking lights, you can splice the "extra wires" from those headlamps into the parking light wiring harness on your car (or add a realy and fuse for extra protection) or you can hook them up to the turn signals (why?) with a similar process.

I wouldn't worry about tapping into the parking light wiring harness, LED's dear so little current that the load will not affect the electrical system on your car... simply tap the extra red wire form the headlamps into the parking light hot wire and ground the black... that should do it...

05 Accord EXV6 - leather, OEM fogs, TSX Retrofit Projectors, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Mud Guards, HFP Lip Spoiler, 20% Tint all around, HFP Suspension, Autostart Two Way Remote starter, 16" Kumho I'zen Winters, 17" Acura TL wheels with NEXEN 3000 summers
post #6 of 17 Old 04-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaEnder View Post
Against suggestion I spliced the LED wires into my side markers on my 6th gen. Didn't cause any damage for me for over a year, I could've been lucky though.

Here's what mine looked like. Practically the same. Sorry no pics of my HID's, but I had 8000k's and the cut off was pretty decent. Can't vouche for all of them though.

Hmm looks like mine too.

2007 Acura TL Type-S
post #7 of 17 Old 04-20-2010, 01:15 PM
TL A-Specs RUBY------CURB

Send a message via MSN to californium90
ask nickxo he has the exact same lights, he can tell u how he did it!

2006 Inspire a.k.a Ruby

30% tint all around.
Diode Dynamics stage 3 LED kit
ACURA TL A Spec rims (chrome)
Inspire Chrome Headlamps
03-05 Front Lip modded on
06 Hybrid OEM tails
06 Hybrid OEM sideview mirrors
Full leather conversion from a totaled 2004 EXL-V6
Full OEM navi -transplant from a 2006 sedan with voice command and back up camera
Leather steering wheel
Illuminated door sills
Tein SS coilovers
OEM Honda all weather mats front and rear
OEM decklid lip spolier
post #8 of 17 Old 04-20-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Formerly TN03EX

Thanks guys! Ya'll are awesome!

Mods:
- splash guards
- door sills
- interior illumination
-

- GoSafe 268 dash cam

post #9 of 17 Old 04-21-2010, 04:14 PM
2004 Honda Accord 2.4VTEC

Send a message via Skype™ to EskimoSwagg
where'd you get that kit from? I've been looking for some decent projectors. there used to be some on ebay, but they had a bad rep...

EDIT: I found them, but did you pay $200 for em? whew that's steep for some plastic..

VTEC Swagg for the win! :)
post #10 of 17 Old 04-22-2010, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Formerly TN03EX

Atomic Car Parts on Amazon had the best deal, $130 new in the box. Not sure if they have any left, but there are a few other vendors on Amazon who have them...

Mods:
- splash guards
- door sills
- interior illumination
-

- GoSafe 268 dash cam

post #11 of 17 Old 04-22-2010, 06:42 PM
3rd Gear

hey, like others have said, u could wire them up by tapping into the park lights (there'll be three wires to the socket, one negative and two positives; one is the park light, and the other is the turn signal flasher (you can use trial and error to determine which to use)

another option if you don't want to splice into the factory is to run the leds/halos right to the battery and use a switch (a switch will cost you ~$2-4). i would personally go with the first option so that the lights come on w/ the stock switch... but its personal preference...

also, if possible, do you think you could get pics of the light output? ie. brightness, cut-offs, etc..? it would be greatly appreciated... thx and good luck
post #12 of 17 Old 04-23-2010, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Formerly TN03EX

As soon as I get it wired up I will post pics. I'd like to switch out the LED's from blue to red while I'm at it, trying to find out what kind/size of bulb and where to buy.

Mods:
- splash guards
- door sills
- interior illumination
-

- GoSafe 268 dash cam

post #13 of 17 Old 04-12-2016, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

I just bought a set and I get how to wire the leds into the factory wires but where do I attach the black and red wire for the two halos?tap into the bulbs that came with the headlights?

Also to clarify 3 bulbs just plug into the factory plugs then I have 3 LEDs then there are 2 separate black wires and 2 red wires for the halos where do these tap into cause they don't have a plug at their ends?

Can I get some help please

Last edited by namegoeshere; 05-10-2016 at 09:50 PM.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-13-2016, 09:13 PM
Texas Ground Pounder

Garage
The Halo's can be wired in with the LED's to turn on with the parking lights. All will have to be hard wired. This is how I did mine. You could wire the Halo's to the headlights if you only want them on with the headlights. I however wanted them to work with just the parking lights. This is how I've seen most of these wired. So tap the red wires from all the LED's and Halo's to the parking light wire and tap the black wires to the ground wire from the parking light. Simple as that.

2003 Accord EX Sedan V6 Auto NAVI (Noble Green Pearl)
Mods:Fog Lights-front & rear TL sway bar-V6 MT shock tower bar-AEM V2-Magnaflow cat-back-Window & Moon visors-Kaminari Lip Kit-Bug Shield-CUSCO Type II TSX Lower brace-Enkei EV5 wheels-Trans Cooler
Audio/Video:audio under construction-KP window up, one touch moonroof, mirror tilt-Dice iPod-Rear Camera-TVandNav2go Video
Wish List:Air Ride-Charger
post #15 of 17 Old 04-14-2016, 04:50 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtspaceii View Post
Those, of course, are the wires for the LED's. The professional installer is right, you do need a harness if you don't want to splice those wires into your OEM harness. I'm pretty sure, he doesn't want to run the risk of damaging your OEM harness by splicing into it; god knows how expensive that would be to replace your OEM harness or worse yet, electrically damaging other key components on your car from a bad splice...or the guy's just dumbfounded as to how to splice them into your car...

So in the end, you either need an extra harness to splice your LED's into or you can hardwire/splice them directly into your turn signal wires (like I did); more specifically the parking light wire not the intermittent turn signal wire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougw03 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaEnder View Post
Sorry no pics of my HID's, but I had 8000k's and the cut off was pretty decent. Can't vouche for all of them though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpor View Post
It all depends on what you want those LED's to do.. if you want them to come on with the parking lights, you can splice the "extra wires" from those headlamps into the parking light wiring harness on your car (or add a realy and fuse for extra protection) or you can hook them up to the turn signals (why?) with a similar process.

I wouldn't worry about tapping into the parking light wiring harness, LED's dear so little current that the load will not affect the electrical system on your car... simply tap the extra red wire form the headlamps into the parking light hot wire and ground the black... that should do it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN03EX View Post
As soon as I get it wired up I will post pics. I'd like to switch out the LED's from blue to red while I'm at it, trying to find out what kind/size of bulb and where to buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Coyote View Post
The Halo's can be wired in with the LED's to turn on with the parking lights. All will have to be hard wired. This is how I did mine. You could wire the Halo's to the headlights if you only want them on with the headlights. I however wanted them to work with just the parking lights. This is how I've seen most of these wired. So tap the red wires from all the LED's and Halo's to the parking light wire and tap the black wires to the ground wire from the parking light. Simple as that.
Guys.

Stop putting an apostrophe between a plural word and the letter "s". Just...stop.

LEDs
Light Emitting Diodes

HIDs
High Intensity Discharge Headlights/Lamps

You do not need an apostrophe before the "s" to make that word plural.

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
The Following User Says Thank You to enne For This Useful Post:
cheap_deal (04-15-2016)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.