Foglight HID KIT not working - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Foglight HID KIT not working

i have a hid kit h11 installed for my foglights, and im not sure where it went wrong after awhile, i can hear the ballast turning on when i turn on my lights, but the lights dont work, and i recently bought new bulbs to check and those didnt do the trick, does anyone know what i should do, or should i just buy a whole new kit and redo it again.

Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 02:30 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaitea View Post
i have a hid kit h11 installed for my foglights, and im not sure where it went wrong after awhile, i can hear the ballast turning on when i turn on my lights, but the lights dont work, and i recently bought new bulbs to check and those didnt do the trick, does anyone know what i should do, or should i just buy a whole new kit and redo it again.
both sides are out? very unlikely that both ballasts died at the same time. double check your wiring.

2007 Acura TL Type-S
post #3 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 05:14 AM
2007 4DR EX-L V6 5AT

Send a message via AIM to LFSoccer2k6 Send a message via Skype™ to LFSoccer2k6
Are you using a relay harness? If not, you should look into getting one of those.

Also, if only 1 side isnt working, switch the ballasts side and see what happens. This should tell you if it is the ballast or not.

2007 NHBP EX-L V6 Sedan 5AT
CarDomain:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY Documents:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 05:38 AM
‎']['{[]}{[]}][_

If you purchased a cheap HID kit, then I would lean towards both the ballasts being bad. Before I had my retro, I had installed a cheap eBay HID kit on my car. Needless to say, in less than a month, one of my lights wouldn't turn on, like you, I could hear the ballast "whining" but no light. If they're brand new, exchange them for a new set.

ASM 2007 EX-V6 6MT Sedan
MODS:
-35% tint
-Acura TSX retro headlights (Blacked out) w/amber LED turn sig bulbs & "bullet" angel eyes
-Depo Fogs w/2500K bulbs
-Hybrid Tail Lamps w/red 7w LED turn sig bulbs
-Custom JDM style grill & mesh lower grill insert
-K&N Typhoon CAI
-USA Spec iPod interface
-Front 12.6" Wilwood BBK & Rear 12" upgrade w/15mm Ichiba wheel spacers

FUTURE MODS:
-Tein Coilovers
-Vossen 19" VVS-CV3
-Hybrid Mirrors
-Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust
post #5 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

both lights wont turn on, if its the ballast, i can get some free but if its the wiring i'm not quite sure.

which one is the relay harness
post #6 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 08:15 AM
2007 4DR EX-L V6 5AT

Send a message via AIM to LFSoccer2k6 Send a message via Skype™ to LFSoccer2k6
You would need an H11. It hooks up to the batter and draws power from the battery instead of your stock electrical system which is made for halogen:

2007 NHBP EX-L V6 Sedan 5AT
CarDomain:

DIY Documents:
post #7 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 08:17 AM
TL A-Specs RUBY------CURB

Send a message via MSN to californium90
first of all, where did you buy the HID's from? are they from a reputed seller? i mean even if they are from ebay are they from a reputed seller?

2006 Inspire a.k.a Ruby

30% tint all around.
Diode Dynamics stage 3 LED kit
ACURA TL A Spec rims (chrome)
Inspire Chrome Headlamps
03-05 Front Lip modded on
06 Hybrid OEM tails
06 Hybrid OEM sideview mirrors
Full leather conversion from a totaled 2004 EXL-V6
Full OEM navi -transplant from a 2006 sedan with voice command and back up camera
Leather steering wheel
Illuminated door sills
Tein SS coilovers
OEM Honda all weather mats front and rear
OEM decklid lip spolier
post #8 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 09:17 AM
‎']['{[]}{[]}][_

Quote:
Originally Posted by californium90 View Post
first of all, where did you buy the HID's from? are they from a reputed seller? i mean even if they are from ebay are they from a reputed seller?
My point I was trying to convey.

The relay harness is just to protect your OEM wiring harness. Your HID kit should work regardless you have it or not. Most HID kits are 35w and draw less power than your standard incandescent bulbs; although you can purchase 55w HID kits, it still shouldn't be a problem...if you got a quality product...

Maybe RetroSolutions can chime in on this...

ASM 2007 EX-V6 6MT Sedan
MODS:
-35% tint
-Acura TSX retro headlights (Blacked out) w/amber LED turn sig bulbs & "bullet" angel eyes
-Depo Fogs w/2500K bulbs
-K&N Typhoon CAI
-USA Spec iPod interface

FUTURE MODS:
-Tein Coilovers
-Vossen 19" VVS-CV3
-Hybrid Mirrors
post #9 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 05:06 PM
3rd Gear

these guys are right; u should get the relay harness- on my previous car, after installing hids in the fogs, only one would come on at a time, and the one time they both came on they stayed on for 5 mins then both stopped working. turns out my ballasts and bulbs were fine, but the stock wiring couldn't handle the power draw of the hids (yes, i know they run at 35w and 55w) but they have a huge startup power demand to ignite the ballasts.

long story short they wouldn't work at all on my previous car without the harness. so i'd also recommend trying that. good luck..

*btw, i'm currently running hids in both my headlights and foglights of my 03 v6 coupe, using relay harnesses for both sets and i've had no problems at all. hope that helps..
post #10 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 05:41 PM
‎']['{[]}{[]}][_

With my current reflector headlights, I'm running HID's without a harness and have no problems (I have 55w digital ballasts purchased from RetroSolutions)

When I fix my retro, I'll use my (already installed) harness that I originally purchased when I had my first retro made. Harness or not, I have no problems with my HIDs.

If your running dual set of HID's like SiLVeR SHaRK, then I'd definitely recommend a harness (because of the initial power draw) so you don't burn up your OEM wires.

ASM 2007 EX-V6 6MT Sedan
MODS:
-35% tint
-Depo Fogs w/2500K bulbs
-K&N Typhoon CAI
-USA Spec iPod interface

FUTURE MODS:
-Tein Coilovers
-Vossen 19" VVS-CV3
-Hybrid Mirrors
post #11 of 14 Old 03-27-2012, 02:54 AM
1st Gear

Shark u still around i need help bad on my ballast

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shark View Post
these guys are right; u should get the relay harness- on my previous car, after installing hids in the fogs, only one would come on at a time, and the one time they both came on they stayed on for 5 mins then both stopped working. Turns out my ballasts and bulbs were fine, but the stock wiring couldn't handle the power draw of the hids (yes, i know they run at 35w and 55w) but they have a huge startup power demand to ignite the ballasts.

Long story short they wouldn't work at all on my previous car without the harness. So i'd also recommend trying that. Good luck..

*btw, i'm currently running hids in both my headlights and foglights of my 03 v6 coupe, using relay harnesses for both sets and i've had no problems at all. Hope that helps..
i have same car but my car is saying no to the second ballest being installed, keeps blowing them. I have 8k fog with relay and plug n play 6k headlights. The kicker here is that my bumper is off disconnected fog at this time and i took out the other ballest for headlight and still blowing them ballest 2x so far.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-27-2012, 11:06 AM
3rd Gear

yep, i'm still here. after a while even with the relay harness my hid fogs stopped working; i assumed that its because they were cracked and maybe water got into the electrical system and created a short somewhere. luckily, this isn't the case as i've put back my regular halogens to test them and they work fine. it seems that the ballasts were gone (probably because they weren't mounted, and rather were just sitting in my front bumper where they would've been more exposed to extreme conditions).

another thing to look for is to check all the wires from the ballast, i had one that was pinched which was causing me problems, so i just cut it and re-tied it. also check your bulbs, although it is far more common for ballasts to die well before bulbs, but u never know. and make sure u check all of the clips, its been my experience with the accord that they really need to be pushed in with enough force to make a good conection.

hope this helps, cheers
post #13 of 14 Old 03-28-2012, 06:50 AM
1st Gear

Thx shark!! I actually have the lx 4 cylinder not v6 240hp...sorry about that.
same year though!! My fogs have been great had then professioaly installed. then put those headlights in, been a nightmare.

Well I took the good ballest hooked that up on side that wasnt and the light turned on. So I thought ok... maybe a bad ballest right? (bulbs light up, wiring is good both sides), but no..... went bought another new ballast and blew that one too. Thought I could do it, iam 34 and when I was 23 used to own a prelude 2.2 with nos and basics bolt ons went 13.3 did all my own work and never had any problems. Then bought and built a 2004 S2000 w/nos went 12.9 on 80 dry kit and bolt ons from 14.5 stock. Now I cant even get hid to work lolol!!!

My one headlight and both fogs look great just need one more to headlight up. Shark... this has to be a amp problem with altnater or battery just not pushing enough, this is the base model no power seats, sunroof, no oem fog lights ??? would u think so?? it is the 35watt. Car is reading 12.1amp/volt at idle.
I have read need minumum 13amp/volt. U thinking maybe I have to get new battery or altnater? nightmare, this is mainely nice work car, saving for 02 NSX, hoping to find one for 40k or less.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-29-2012, 08:19 AM
3rd Gear

now that you mention it, if your car didn't come with fog lights stock, its a potential issue how they're wired up. that could be why one keeps blowing. my car came stock with them, so i couldn't say for sure. as for the battery/power supply, that problem is resolved by use of a relay harness (which basically uses the battery to power the ballasts/hids directly while still using the stock switch).
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.