ball joint size issue or was i conned - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-18-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

ball joint size issue or was i conned

about a year and a half ago i replaced my factory lower ball joint with a moog ball joint.
the moog looked a tiny bit wider than the factory one. my ball joint boot tore and
messed up the ball joint. i went to the dealer and bought a brand new one.
when my mechanic went to replace the ball joint he told me that the factory one
is fitting loose, the grooves on the broken moog widened the hole a bit .
instead i ended up paying for another moog ball joint.
has anyone had this issue with moog ball joints ?? or did my mechanic feed me bs to so that i would
pay extra for the ball joint ??

Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-18-2017, 05:47 PM
Out of Control

I could see it. Best to stick with OEM. No way to make the hole smaller

2005 EX-L Sedan, i4 + Automatic. over 185K and counting. runs like a clock.
V6 TL-S fsb/rsb
V6 battery upgrade
V6 strut bar
Weathertech floor liners
Tinted windows
New vtec gasket
New dipstick o-rings (thanks qman)
Penzoil Platinum 0W20
Fram ultra synthetic oil filter
Supertech -20*F washer fluid

Most meticulously maintained accord on this site

Quote:
An interference engine is one which interferes with your wallet if you don't keep a solid timing belt in it. -qman
post #3 of 7 Old 01-18-2017, 05:59 PM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
No BS. A couple of reports of failed Moog joints. And yes, they seem to enlarge the hole in the lower control arm assembly. Sounds like you'll need a new LCA and an oem lower ball joint.

2005 Honda Accord V6 - 179k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma

post #4 of 7 Old 01-18-2017, 07:25 PM
Out of Control

What had grooves? If you're talking about where it goes into the control arm then you need a new control arm. If you're talking about where it goes into the steering knuckle then you will need a new steering knuckle

2005 EX-L Sedan, i4 + Automatic. over 185K and counting. runs like a clock.
V6 TL-S fsb/rsb
V6 battery upgrade
V6 strut bar
Weathertech floor liners
Tinted windows
New vtec gasket
New dipstick o-rings (thanks qman)
Penzoil Platinum 0W20
Fram ultra synthetic oil filter
Supertech -20*F washer fluid

Most meticulously maintained accord on this site

Quote:
An interference engine is one which interferes with your wallet if you don't keep a solid timing belt in it. -qman
post #5 of 7 Old 01-19-2017, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

the moog ball joint has these grooves all around it . the steering knuckle seems to have a slightly enlarged hole now that i
installed a moog ball joint
post #6 of 7 Old 01-19-2017, 06:37 AM

I had the moog ball joints fail on me as well. I was able to get the OEM installed without issue after removing the Moog.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #7 of 7 Old 01-19-2017, 07:34 PM
4th Gear

The aftermarket ball joints have a knurling on them to help them grip the steel knuckle better than if they were a flat cut.

The nature of the knurling is it slightly deforms as you press in to get that interference fit. Therefore they have to oversize it slightly more than the OEM installation diameter.

If you have to replace an aftermarket ball joint, you should replace it with one that has a knurling. I wouldn't reuse that steering knuckle more than twice at that point, as the push out load significantly decreases the second time a ball joint is pressed in due the enlargement. Furthermore Honda ball joints don't have a cir-clip for safety so its fully dependent on that interference fit.

2007 Lexus GS350
2004 Toyota Camry

YouTube Automotive DIY Videos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.