Rear Diffuser? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
5Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 12-07-2016, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Rear Diffuser?

I've got an 03 Accord Coupe and I'm looking to put a rear diffuser on it. I want it to look like whats in the picture. I dont mind doing a bit of cutting to make it fit, anyone know where to get one?

Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 12-07-2016, 04:46 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Garage
I don't know about that specific style of diffuser, but if you want a guaranteed fit, you could go for the rear diffuser on our generation of accord hybrid. Here is the part number: 74550-SFY-000 It's called COVER, RR. (LOWER). Here is what it looks like on my car, before I extended it..

Name: IMG_2939.JPG
Views: 689
Size: 78.1 KB

It's pretty stealthy, I know that is not what you are going for, but it is an option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Ah so you do have a drinking problem. You do not drink enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
When I was little girl in Russia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropgun View Post
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 155K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Das Chicken For This Useful Post:
CGumina (12-14-2016), Merc6 (12-15-2016)
post #3 of 36 Old 12-07-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Chicken View Post
I don't know about that specific style of diffuser, but if you want a guaranteed fit, you could go for the rear diffuser on our generation of accord hybrid. Here is the part number: 74550-SFY-000 It's called COVER, RR. (LOWER). Here is what it looks like on my car, before I extended it..

Attachment 380930

It's pretty stealthy, I know that is not what you are going for, but it is an option.
What did you do to extend it? I would definitely want it a little bit longer.

post #4 of 36 Old 12-07-2016, 04:55 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrin Smith View Post
What did you do to extend it? I would definitely want it a little bit longer.
I extended the length of the diffuser, not the depth of the fins. That would be a little harder.

I just taped, velcro'd, AND hot glued each panel in place. Those white panels you see are made of coroplast, plastic cardboard basically.

Name: IMG_4842 Downsized.jpg
Views: 705
Size: 110.7 KB

Edit: Just remembered name of company that makes rear diffuser

GP Fabrications makes a universal rear diffuser kit, look it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 155K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
post #5 of 36 Old 12-07-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
I extended the length of the diffuser, not the depth of the fins. That would be a little harder.

I just taped, velcro'd, AND hot glued each panel in place. Those white panels you see are made of coroplast, plastic cardboard basically.

Attachment 380938

Edit: Just remembered name of company that makes rear diffuser

GP Fabrications makes a universal rear diffuser kit, look it up.
Yeah, I was just looking at something similar. Looks like theres a few on eBay that I would just have to cut a hole for the tow hook and maybe make a bit shorter. I can probably just go off the measurements for the OE one that you have.

Do you have the dimensions on hand? It would make it a little easier.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 12-07-2016 at 08:23 PM. Reason: merge
post #6 of 36 Old 12-07-2016, 05:36 PM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,003 Times in 757 Posts
I think Drew03Accord has a diffuser on his rear. Well at least when he leaves the house (I think).
bobbo likes this.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #7 of 36 Old 12-07-2016, 06:00 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Garage
Quote:
I do not, and cannot get them until tomorrow afternoon.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You high?
post #8 of 36 Old 12-08-2016, 11:19 AM
Honda Buff

Quote:

Attachment 380938
Das Chicken,
I'm curious about the effects of the full undertray/diffuser thing you've got going on. Did this make a noticeable/measurable difference in your gas mileage? Do you have a thread that goes over all of your hypermiling attempts/results?

Joe
'06 Accord Coupe EX-L V6-6MT - Alabaster Silver Metallic (
)
'14 Civic LX-CVT Sedan
'06 CR-V EX-AT - Nighthawk Black Pearl

Previous Hondas
'83 Accord Hatchback
'96 Civic Coupe EX I4-5MT - Milano Red (Love this color)
'98 Accord Sedan EX I4-5MT - Taffeta White
'01 Accord Sedan EX I4-5MT - Naples Gold Metallic

"Pro tip: If your headlights light up the seats and back of the driver's head in the car in front of you, you need to aim your headlights downward."
- enne
post #9 of 36 Old 12-13-2016, 09:21 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Garage
Quote:
Woops! Forgot about you! I'll try to get the dimensions tomorrow morning, maybe make a helpful diagram too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfuredy View Post
Das Chicken,
I'm curious about the effects of the full undertray/diffuser thing you've got going on. Did this make a noticeable/measurable difference in your gas mileage? Do you have a thread that goes over all of your hypermiling attempts/results?
In short, yes. Additions of the undertray have resulted in noticeable improvements in coasting distance, but I don't drive consistent enough routes/conditions to make a direct comparison as far as gas mileage. Usually undertrays give around 5% or less better gas mileage, but they can also allow you to make it over a very gentle decline where before you might need to drop it back into gear and accelerate. In that case, it could be more like 10%.

With that being said, when I first got this car, before any of the mods/maintenance, I would get about 36 mpg on a highway trip. After the mods/maintenance(intake cleaning) I can get up to about 43 mpg. In fact, I almost got about 45 mpg just a few days ago, but a nissan altima blocked me from getting out of the turn only lane... Some of that could be considered me refining my hypermiling skills, but I would attribute most of that to mods/maintenance.

Does this mean I get 40+ mpg every highway trip? **** NO! Today I got 28 mpg because I was stuck in the worst traffic of my life, and when it was semi-clear I only got around 36, because there was still a good bit of traffic.

I added the undertray in sections, Rear diffuser, Engine, Mid, mid extensions plus tire spats

Rear diffuser- No difference noticed. Maybe if I had added it after everything else I would have seen a difference, as diffusers like clean flow.

Engine undertray- Improved coasting noticed

Mid undertray - Improved coasting and improved stability at 50+ mph noticed

Mid undertray extensions and tire spats - Slightly improved coasting noticed

I have a thread over on Ecomodder.com, not one here though.
KW2004Accord and derass like this.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You high?
post #10 of 36 Old 12-14-2016, 07:43 AM

This is very interesting and I have been looking for this for a while. Some guys were using the diffuser from the previous gen TSX, but that requires modification. I had no idea about the OEM one from the hybrid. Getting it now myself.

An idea though, you can fabricate the correct length plate using lexan or aluminum sheets and just JB weld them to smooth out the tray's edge to the bumper's edge. I imagine tapes will just start falling off after getting weathered.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #11 of 36 Old 12-14-2016, 10:12 AM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
An idea though, you can fabricate the correct length plate using lexan or aluminum sheets and just JB weld them to smooth out the tray's edge to the bumper's edge. I imagine tapes will just start falling off after getting weathered.
The tape is really just to seal gaps to smooth out airflow, it does very little of the fastening. I also thought the tape would fall off, but even driving in pouring rain the tape continues to hold on.

Quote:
This is very interesting and I have been looking for this for a while. Some guys were using the diffuser from the previous gen TSX, but that requires modification. I had no idea about the OEM one from the hybrid. Getting it now myself.
Yep, finding that hybrid diffuser was a pain. The only reason I knew it existed was because of a wiki cars page, then I found a hybrid in a parking lot. I searched on google and there were ZERO pictures of the hybrid diffuser of that generation. Don't bother getting the screws for it, they don't work. Just attach using bolts and nuts, you will have to drill into the spare tire well, but it is pretty drama free.

Name: IMG_4891.JPG
Views: 558
Size: 78.0 KB
Note the 2 inch "gap" between rear diffuser and rear bumper, that gap is actually still part of the diffuser, but it is only to fasten it to the bumper, it doesn't aid in the aerodynamic properties of the diffuser.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You high?
post #12 of 36 Old 12-14-2016, 10:57 AM

^

Are you talking about the 2 holes toward the front of the diffuser piece, just drill through there and mount using nuts and bolts?

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #13 of 36 Old 12-14-2016, 04:53 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Garage
Quote:
^

Are you talking about the 2 holes toward the front of the diffuser piece, just drill through there and mount using nuts and bolts?
Yes, the metal there is too thin to tap, so you need to use nuts and bolts.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You high?
post #14 of 36 Old 12-14-2016, 09:51 PM
7th Gear

Any idea if this fits a coupe?

04 4mt ex-l Satin Silver/Black

Comptech Icebox, Tsx intake manifold, 6-6 front brake conversion with EBC blanks and Green Stuff pads, ADD shifter base bushings, '11 Tsx wheels, Comptech drop springs, TL base rsb, 35% tint, spoiler, fogs, Inspire Zenki headlights, OPT7 led fog light bulbs, led interior bulbs, Gr. 35 battery, DC5 exhaust finisher, Kenwood ddx574bh, JBL gto5ez, Digital Designs CC6.5 / VO components, 1.5F Cap, Digital Designs 510C subwoofer, back up camera
post #15 of 36 Old 12-15-2016, 09:22 PM
4th Gear

That first picture you posted looks sweet on the accord. If you really want that diffuser find out more about the owners car. Mybe he has a build thread or something you can get lucky with some researching. I searched around and found this thread I think it has his instagram name too

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.