Remote start on a manual trans. car - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-16-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Remote start on a manual trans. car

Just wondering if I will have any problems bypassing the clutch switch on my car so I can add remote start. Before you say it is a safety issue, I don't care I never leave it in gear when I park it and I just use the parking brake. No one else drives my car either, so I won't have to worry about someone else leaving it in gear. What I am wondering is if the clutch switch is tied into any other systems of the car that may cause problems if it thinks the clutch is always pressed in.

Also, am I able to buy a factory remote start system? I don't know if it will void any warranty with the clutch switch bypassed, so that may be a deciding factor.

'04 Accord
'94 Volvo (needs engine)
'84 Cutlass Supreme (project car)
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

You are probably ok from electrical aspect, if you have cruise control, there is a second switch on the top of travel to sense if you've started to press down on the clutch and will disengage the cruise control just as with the brake switch.

But never say never, one day you may find it is your unlucky day when the front bumper runs into something hard because for whatever reason your gear is engaged........

It's happened to me accidentally a couple of times over the years, but at least I was in the car and can stop the cranking and jump on the brake pedal as soon as I realized there was "unintended acceleration"!

The remote start system won't know, or care if the transmission is in gear when you command it to crank..........

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-16-2010, 07:06 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to vasekvi Send a message via Yahoo to vasekvi
I have always wondered about this. Is there no way to wire in some sort of sensor that can determine if the car is in neutral to keep a remote start system from making the car creep?

post #4 of 16 Old 02-16-2010, 07:52 PM
5th Gear

not easily. the only trigger is for reverse lights.

Bypassing the clutch lock totally can be a problem with shops. My volvo never had a interlock switch, cant tell you how many times I had to tell shops to NOT leave it in gear and start it.... and watch them still do it... They start first usually and see its a manual afterwards.

2006 AV6 6sp
post #5 of 16 Old 02-16-2010, 08:29 PM
5th Gear

This can be a cool trick to impress your date
post #6 of 16 Old 02-17-2010, 04:55 AM
Carpe Diem

I hope you plan to install the remote start yourself because I doubt you'll find a shop willing to do it due to liability issues.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-17-2010, 05:04 AM

Instead of bypassing the clutch switch, you can install a Viper or any Directed brand remote start. They all come with a manual transmission mode that requires you to perform a few steps to ensure the car is in neutral before you exit. If you don't follow those steps, the car will not remote start.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #8 of 16 Old 03-11-2010, 09:40 PM
4th Gear

^ yup, I have that and still put it into auto mode ... just because its so easy to disable the mts mode and i would have to re-do the process all over again.. I think ? Ill find out soon, if its okay ill switch back..

Anyways to by pass the clutch, take a look at your clutch, right above the pedal there should be two wires ( i think) going into it, dont take that one, but there should be one more above it with 2 wires. Just get a wire and connect the two together, it should by pass you clutch. You can now start with out having to press the clutch ...

[2004 Honda Accord EX coupe I4 5MT] 160 000KM
AEM dryflow cone filter
Backhoused headlamps
5000k/3000k Lows/fogs
Yellow OEM-style fogs
OEM spoiler
20% Tint
18" ADR M-SPORT
Viper 5301 Remote starter
post #9 of 16 Old 03-12-2010, 02:12 AM
JBM
boost master

Send a message via AIM to JBM
I've bypassed many mt cars in my day for remote starts.

So long as you do everything correctly & ALWAYS remember to leave it in neutral. You will be fine.

A friend of mine was forgetfull about this, so to correct the problem I installed one of those ugly shifter lever locks. It held the shifter inbetween 1st & 2nd in the neutral zone.

Best of luck to you & take pictures. Write up a diy for the rest of the crew around here.

35% tint, TL-S 20mm rsb. 8k hid's, tsx im. rsx underdrive pulleys, custom cat back, obx headers. o2 simulator. cai, neuspeed lowering springs on kyb's.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-12-2010, 06:27 AM
Not a n00b!

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
I've bypassed many mt cars in my day for remote starts.

So long as you do everything correctly & ALWAYS remember to leave it in neutral. You will be fine.

A friend of mine was forgetfull about this, so to correct the problem I installed one of those ugly shifter lever locks. It held the shifter inbetween 1st & 2nd in the neutral zone.

Best of luck to you & take pictures. Write up a diy for the rest of the crew around here.

you are a fool if you "remember to leave it in neutral" in a remote start system in an MT car.

I have done hundreds and the correct way to install them is get one that is meant for a MT car. you will need to hook up a wire to the parking break switch and dome light.

The way the starters work is as follows.

With the car running and in neutral, set the parking break and press the button on the starter. The parking lights will flash and the starter will keep the engine running (it will not crank the starter motor).

Take the key out (and the car is running).

Get out of the car - surprise, the only way you can get out is if the car is already in neutral

Close the door, lock it with the key or remote start fob and then press the start button again to stop the car.

POOF!!! the car is now ready to be started again. Opening the door or releasing the parking break will cancel "primed mode" and the car will not remote start.

This is the ONLY way to install the starter.

DO NOT USE AN AT STARTER IN AN MT CAR YOU ARE ASKING FOR TROUBLE.

I use Autostart products up here in Canada and in over 100 installations, i have never had a come back or problem.

Let me know if you need some advice or additional help.

Cheers!

05 Accord EXV6 - leather, OEM fogs, TSX Retrofit Projectors, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Mud Guards, HFP Lip Spoiler, 20% Tint all around, HFP Suspension, Autostart Two Way Remote starter, 16" Kumho I'zen Winters, 17" Acura TL wheels with NEXEN 3000 summers
post #11 of 16 Old 03-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Who needs lugnuts anyway

As richpor said, you HAVE to get one that was meant for a car with a manual transmission. I have a UltraStart unit in my car . It has a "reservation mode" which has to be activated in order to start the engine remotely. Attached is a page from the manual that explains the whole process.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf reservation mode ultrastart.pdf (74.0 KB, 352 views)

2004 Accord LX 5MT Graphite Pearl Metallic
V6-6MT Strut tower bar|17mm Acura TL rear sway bar|Rear Spoiler|2003 Acura CL-S Wheels|Foglights and HIR headlights|Rear Speakers - Boston Acoustics S95|Front Speakers - Polk DB6501|Tinted Rear|
post #12 of 16 Old 03-12-2010, 04:47 PM
4th Gear

What happened with me when i installed a one made for manual tranny cars, was Ill do the shutdown procedure and everything, but my car wouldnt start. When i tried it again and held the clutch in, it started ...

So I had to bypass my clutch anyways to get it to work with the mts mode ...

AEM dryflow cone filter
Backhoused headlamps
5000k/3000k Lows/fogs
Yellow OEM-style fogs
OEM spoiler
20% Tint
18" ADR M-SPORT
post #13 of 16 Old 03-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Who needs lugnuts anyway

The clutch switch has to be bypassed - when done properly, the bypass will only activate when remote starting the car. I can't start the car with the key without depressing the clutch even though I have it bypassed for remote start.

2004 Accord LX 5MT Graphite Pearl Metallic
V6-6MT Strut tower bar|17mm Acura TL rear sway bar|Rear Spoiler|2003 Acura CL-S Wheels|Foglights and HIR headlights|Rear Speakers - Boston Acoustics S95|Front Speakers - Polk DB6501|Tinted Rear|
post #14 of 16 Old 03-12-2010, 05:20 PM
4th Gear

^ hey did you install the RS yourself?

To bypass the clutch was it a certain wire you needed to connect to the clutch switch to bypass it ?

AEM dryflow cone filter
Backhoused headlamps
5000k/3000k Lows/fogs
Yellow OEM-style fogs
OEM spoiler
20% Tint
18" ADR M-SPORT
post #15 of 16 Old 03-13-2010, 12:28 AM
retrofit junky

Compustar makes a specific alarm just for MT. I currently use the Pro series and the reservation mode is the only way to go to prevent your car from hopping forward. Otherwise, if you go by "I'll remember to place it in neutral" idea, your asking for big trouble. I can't tell you how many times I've seen/heard horror stories about cars hopping forward trying to start while in gear.

Ever seen a car accidentally hop through a showroom? I have lol...

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.