Accessory Belt Tensioner - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-18-2010, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Accessory Belt Tensioner

Changed the accessory belt on the 2.4 LX this passed weekend and noticed the tensioner pulley has some bearing noise coming from it and doesn't spin too smooth. Anyone have any pics of the bolt locations on this tensioner so I can swap them out. Local Honda dealer wants $100 to replace it, not counting the part.

Thanks.

Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 08:55 AM
1st Gear

Send a message via AIM to spiceisler Send a message via MSN to spiceisler Send a message via Yahoo to spiceisler
I changed my tensioner pulley once before and nnow, at 89000 miles, it seem like it going bad again. With the engine idling you can see the tensioner jumping. Here's a diagram:

post #3 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 09:03 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi56 View Post
Changed the accessory belt on the 2.4 LX this passed weekend and noticed the tensioner pulley has some bearing noise coming from it and doesn't spin too smooth. Anyone have any pics of the bolt locations on this tensioner so I can swap them out. Local Honda dealer wants $100 to replace it, not counting the part.

Thanks.

Try replacing the pully off the tensioner first (number 7,6,5 and 12 above diagrahm). It is an easy one bolt removal replacement of the pully off the tensioner. Remove the pully off the tensioner while still on the car. I dropped the nut (number 12) located inside the pully so be carefull to not loose it when taking the pully out of the car. I don't remember the torque to put back on.

03 Accord LX I4 5spd, 265k miles.
with 19 HFP Wheels and Eibach pro spring kit (second set as the first set of rear springs rusted apart).
Previous car: 98 Civic EX 5sp. with 155K, RIP

post #4 of 18 Old 01-20-2010, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks guys.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-22-2010, 09:05 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
Try replacing the pully off the tensioner first (number 7,6,5 and 12 above diagrahm). It is an easy one bolt removal replacement of the pully off the tensioner. Remove the pully off the tensioner while still on the car. I dropped the nut (number 12) located inside the pully so be carefull to not loose it when taking the pully out of the car. I don't remember the torque to put back on.

Listen to CarlR he knows what hes speaking about! I dont think the spec was over 20ft/lbs
post #6 of 18 Old 01-22-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Will I need to remove anything before hand to get that part off?
post #7 of 18 Old 02-16-2010, 04:49 PM
1st Gear

I am wondering how difficult this would be. I just need to replace the pulley. The belt is in great shape, however the pulley is annoying me. I live in Calgary Canada so we have some crazy fluctuating temperatures, and anything below 5C the thing whines like a superchager. Although after 165,000KM of trouble free aggressive driving, I am pretty content. I initially thought it was just the belt needing some lube, but lubing the belt only made the whine go away temporarily.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-16-2010, 05:06 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneek View Post
I am wondering how difficult this would be. I just need to replace the pulley. The belt is in great shape, however the pulley is annoying me. I live in Calgary Canada so we have some crazy fluctuating temperatures, and anything below 5C the thing whines like a superchager. Although after 165,000KM of trouble free aggressive driving, I am pretty content. I initially thought it was just the belt needing some lube, but lubing the belt only made the whine go away temporarily.
If you just change out the pully (not the tensioner) it is very easy. Rent a tensioner tool at your local auto parts store to remove tension from belt. Tool is basically a long handle with a socket on the end. Then remove the one bolt going though pulley (careful the nut for the pully will fall out and get lost in the engine compartment if you don't remove the roller (pulley) carefully. The nut is located inside the pulley. Good Luck

with 19 HFP Wheels and Eibach pro spring kit (second set as the first set of rear springs rusted apart).
post #9 of 18 Old 02-16-2010, 05:12 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneek View Post
If you just change out the pulley (not removing the tensioner) it is very easy. Rent a tensioner tool at your local auto parts store to remove tension from belt. Tool is basically a long handle with a socket on the end. Then remove the one bolt (7) going though pulley (careful the nut for the pulley (12) will fall out and get lost in the engine compartment if you don't remove the roller, bolt and pulley carefully. The nut is located inside the tensioner. You have to go by feel to hold nut in place when reinstalling the pulley and bolt. Leave the nut in the tensioner if possible but hold the back of the nut when reinstalling or it drops into nowheres ville. Good Luck

post #10 of 18 Old 02-16-2010, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
If you just change out the pulley (not removing the tensioner) it is very easy. Rent a tensioner tool at your local auto parts store to remove tension from belt. Tool is basically a long handle with a socket on the end. Then remove the one bolt (7) going though pulley (careful the nut for the pulley (12) will fall out and get lost in the engine compartment if you don't remove the roller, bolt and pulley carefully. The nut is located inside the tensioner. You have to go by feel to hold nut in place when reinstalling the pulley and bolt. Leave the nut in the tensioner if possible but hold the back of the nut when reinstalling or it drops into nowheres ville. Good Luck
Thanks, When I was searching the forum I noticed you came across the same issue, did changing the pulley take away the noise?
post #11 of 18 Old 02-16-2010, 05:56 PM
04 4D 5MT Accord LX 152k

Send a message via AIM to mikefxu
$69.49 shipped for the entire assembly from . Do it once, do it right, the first time. I did mine after 100k with the serpentine belt. I like working on my own car but not too often.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-23-2010, 02:20 PM
'04 Accord EX, 5AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefxu View Post
$69.49 shipped for the entire assembly from . Do it once, do it right, the first time. I did mine after 100k with the serpentine belt. I like working on my own car but not too often.
Any hint as to what it is called? I can't find it. -thanks

--------------
'04 Accord EX Nighthawk Black Pearl
'04 BMW 330i ZHP x2
'08 TSX
'09 Odyssey
post #13 of 18 Old 02-23-2010, 03:38 PM
04 4D 5MT Accord LX 152k

Send a message via AIM to mikefxu
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahertyps View Post
Any hint as to what it is called? I can't find it. -thanks
Sorry, meant to post the link not the website address:
post #14 of 18 Old 02-28-2010, 12:24 PM
6th Gear

Do you have to remove the power steering pump to replace the tensioner assembly...??
post #15 of 18 Old 02-28-2010, 05:04 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszappa1 View Post
Do you have to remove the power steering pump to replace the tensioner assembly...??
I would not remove the assembly (#4 above) if your only changing out the pulley (#5)? The pulley can be chaged out with out removal of the assembly.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.