A/C Compressor Bearings - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-28-2009, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

A/C Compressor Bearings

The A/C compressor bearings have been making some noieses in our 2004 Accord LX, 4 Cyl, 4 door. It's been doing it for a few months but sounded awful this past weekend. I know it's the A/C pulley because I shot it with a small squirt of Marvel Mystery Oil and it went away immediately. Obviously we aren't using the A/C in the winter but we do use the defroster and, since it's a serpentine system, if that bearing locks up the belt won't spin any of the other accessories, right?

Is there a way to just replace the bearing (simple pully swap) or do I need a whole new compressor?

Thanks.

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-28-2009, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

The pully bearing appears to be part of the clutch, the Factory Service Manual indicates noisy bearing is rectified via clutch replacement, and it appears some specialized tool is required to hold the clutch in place while loosening other fasteners.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-28-2009, 09:18 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyomatic View Post
The A/C compressor bearings have been making some noieses in our 2004 Accord LX, 4 Cyl, 4 door. It's been doing it for a few months but sounded awful this past weekend. I know it's the A/C pulley because I shot it with a small squirt of Marvel Mystery Oil and it went away immediately. Obviously we aren't using the A/C in the winter but we do use the defroster and, since it's a serpentine system, if that bearing locks up the belt won't spin any of the other accessories, right?

Is there a way to just replace the bearing (simple pully swap) or do I need a whole new compressor?

Thanks.
You say A/C compressor and you sprayed the A/C pully with oil. You possibly talking about the serpentine belt tensioner pully? The tensioner pully is common noise maker on these cars and is very easy and inexpensive to replace DIY. The A/C compressor is located down at the bottom of the front of the car if you did indeed spray it. It is not easy to reach.

03 Accord LX I4 5spd, 265k miles.
with 19 HFP Wheels and Eibach pro spring kit (second set as the first set of rear springs rusted apart).
Previous car: 98 Civic EX 5sp. with 155K, RIP

post #4 of 9 Old 12-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
You say A/C compressor and you sprayed the A/C pully with oil. You possibly talking about the serpentine belt tensioner pully? The tensioner pully is common noise maker on these cars and is very easy and inexpensive to replace DIY. The A/C compressor is located down at the bottom of the front of the car if you did indeed spray it. It is not easy to reach.

Excellent point!

In the back of my mind I was wondering the same since the clutch will prevent easy access to the bearing itself, probably makes more sense OP is talking about the tensioner pully.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

post #5 of 9 Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

WOW...I read your post, Carl, and I thought, "Are you kidding? Of course I know how to spot the A/C compressor, what kind of moron does he think I am?"

The answer: The kind of moron that mistakes a Power Steering Pump for an A/C compressor. I just looked and saw the funny looking fitted hoses coming out and assumed it was the A/C. It's actually the Power Steering pump, and no, it isn't the tensioner, which appears to be just below the pump...Unless I messed up again!

Can I start over from the beginning, only substituting A/C for PS? Is it a simple bearing swap for the power steering or will I need a new pump for that?

Signed,
Moron
post #6 of 9 Old 12-28-2009, 04:47 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
WOW...I read your post, Carl, and I thought, "Are you kidding? Of course I know how to spot the A/C compressor, what kind of moron does he think I am?"

The answer: The kind of moron that mistakes a Power Steering Pump for an A/C compressor. I just looked and saw the funny looking fitted hoses coming out and assumed it was the A/C. It's actually the Power Steering pump, and no, it isn't the tensioner, which appears to be just below the pump...Unless I messed up again!

Can I start over from the beginning, only substituting A/C for PS? Is it a simple bearing swap for the power steering or will I need a new pump for that?

Signed,
Moron
LOL, that is why we are here to help each other out.

There is current discussion going on about the PS pump at the first link. In the first picture of the link the tensioner is to the left and below the PS pump. I am suspicious of it stopping after you sprayed oil into/onto it. I don't think that will quiet the PS pump problems that everyone is talking about. I would try spraying the tensioner. I did that and it temp. stopped mine until replaced. It only made noise when cold. I would also check the condition of your serp. belt. That is also an easy replacement.

If it turns out to be the tensioner check out the second link below.

Drive belt - is it ready for the replacement?

Power Steering Noise

with 19 HFP Wheels and Eibach pro spring kit (second set as the first set of rear springs rusted apart).
post #7 of 9 Old 12-28-2009, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

I don't think it's the tensioner because I spray right on the bolt holding the POWER STEERING (see, I got it) pulley on and the noise goes away instantly. Looks like a new PS pump is around $90 or so so I might as well swap it out. Thanks.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-28-2009, 06:54 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
I don't think it's the tensioner because I spray right on the bolt holding the POWER STEERING (see, I got it) pulley on and the noise goes away instantly. Looks like a new PS pump is around $90 or so so I might as well swap it out. Thanks.
Uh, looking at Majestic Honda's parts list a new one is more like $264. You might read through the PS link in my above post.

post #9 of 9 Old 12-28-2009, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Carl,
I checked out both links, thanks for those, really good stuff, and now I'm not as scared of the serpentine belt system as before. The one in my old Oldsmobile was a nightmare.

I'll just grab a pump from a parts store, especially if a $260 Honda unit is only good for 75K miles! I'm not at all impressed with that. At that price I can swap it out three times for the price of the Honda one. I was horrified at the price my local Honda dealer wanted for new front brake rotors.

Thanks to all!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.