Key won't turn in ignition ? opinions please? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
8Likes
  • 1 Post By enne
  • 2 Post By enne
  • 3 Post By bobbo
  • 1 Post By greg1c
  • 1 Post By greg1c
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-10-2016, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Key won't turn in ignition ? opinions please?

car is a 2003 accord lx v6 auto, 153,000 miles

problem :
the key won't turn in the ignition ?, so can't start the car.

any help or info you can give me so i can figure out whats causing this would be appreciative, cause i want to avoid taking to a shop, when it could easily be a simple little thing, such as needing a new key or cleaning out the ignition keyhole or something ? also i work as a delivery driver using this car, so i need to fix it soon as possible cause i'm missing out on money and shifts i have for tomorrow and the days after that.

earlier in the week, the plastic around the little screw on both of my key fobs cracked from overtightening the screw, they still held together, but the metal key part wobbled back and forth in it, but i was able to use them to start the car fine.

yesterday i put some epoxy glue on the backside of the keyfobs around the screw hole to strengthen where the cracks where, and i put some around the hole the key comes out of, but i did'nt cover any of the parts inside, i just carefully applied it with a plastic knife.

lastnight i drove the car, and went to a couple stores, turning off car and starting it up again with no problem, then i went to a car wash stall and turned the car off, and i was going to work on a few things, i squirted some dry powder graphite lube in the door lock cylinder, and then some into the ignition key cylinder hole, cause thats what i've used in the past on my other cars, which were 90 or 91 models, and its meant for that type of thing, but i don't know if it is good to use on newer cars like this one?

after doing that, i put the key in the igntion and it did'nt turn ?,
the lights come on dash and beeped, but cant turn key to start the car ???, it was in park and steering wheel was'nt locked

right away i thought it was cause i put the graphite lube in it, so i sprayed the key with rubbing alcohol, and stuck it in the ignition in and out a few times, rubbing off graphite from the key, to clean out the graphite in there, but the key still would'nt turn?

i got a ride home and got the other key fob i had, and got back, tried using that key but still would'nt let me turn that key either !!!!,

i bought compressed air in a can at cvs and tried blowing into the ignition hole to clean out any debris or graphite coating the contact points inside there, but it did'nt help at all,
at that point, i've already been there for 3 hours, and it was 12:45 am, and i did'nt know what else to do, and just wanted to go home, so i called a tow truck and got it towed, even know it was only 10 minutes from my house, it cost $80

these are some things i think might of caused the problem :

either the graphite lube coated some type of contact points in the ignition hole ?

or epoxy glue from the key got inside the ignition hole, preventing the key from making contact properly to let it turn and start ?,

or i messed the key fobs up putting epoxy glue on them ?,

or the rubbing alcohol did something to the inside that affects something ?

or the ignition cylinder went bad, maybe from using it more than usual, messing with the broken key fobs, sticking it in hard or in and out too much, etc....

2003 Accord Coupe V6 LX automatic (ULEV)
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-10-2016, 04:41 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage

"Two weeks later I purchased the GS Graphite Dry Lube for the locks, you know, extend the life. I applied the lubricant, worked the key to coat all area's and then went to work. When I got back home all the locks were completely frozen, I couldn't even get the key in. I called B'laster Corporation and was advised to use brake cleaning fluid, some of their product was shipped with too much resin and this will free up the locks."

"Got this because the store was out of graphite tubes. The explanation on the side of the can implied this did the same thing, which was lubricate sticky keys. All it did was spray a layer of black gunk all over my hands and key, and the key still sticks in the lock, I almost just broke it off in the lock actually."

Sounds like you need to get some brake cleaner and douse the hell out of that lock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #3 of 14 Old 06-10-2016, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

one step would be to try to clean inside the ignition cylinder key hole really good, but before doing anything, does anyone know if it is safe to spray PB Blaster lubricant or spray silicone inside the ignition cylinder ??? it won't mess it up would it ?, or would it be ok if i dip a thin bristle pipe cleaner brush in rubbing alcohol and insert it in and twist around to clean that way ? i just want to make sure its ok to use, before putting stuff inside it.

but i do plan on going to honda to get new key fobs once they open today, luckily i have my other car, my crx, so i can drive that to go there, and i am just going to get new key fobs, (that have blank keys i guess), then get them cut, and open the key fob and put the remote and the immobilizer piece from my old key fob into the new one, so it works with the car, i saw a youtube video how to do it, and i will be carefull screwing that little screw in to hold the key fob together, cause the plastic around the screw holes break so easily !

then i will see if the car starts with the new key fob, no matter what i need new key fobs anyway since mine are broken and won't stay held together, if it stats with the new ones, thats great, but if it does'nt, i can try wiggling steering wheel different directions maybe, also try hit the ignition cylinder with flat head screwdriver to shake the parts inside so they reposition (i just read that on different post),

or maybe the ignition cylinder is just bad and need a new one ?, it does have 153,000 miles and i do tend to use it more than most, doing deliveries, parking somewhere, taking key out, then getting back in and putting in and starting it, then going to another place, doing it again, and again, so it probably wears it down more doing that, opposed to someone who just starts car in morning once and takes key out, then starts it when they leave work at 5pm or whatever and takes key out when they got home, cause thats using it way less, as far as inserting the key in and out of the cylinder.

post #4 of 14 Old 06-10-2016, 05:19 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
From a post by Rick on the subject:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Whoa gents....

1) Never use graphite powder on locks. My expert locksmith (yes, I have one) would beat me if I used that stuff. It is so 1990s. Messy, and eventually will clog the lock mechanism.

2) Silicone spray ONLY IF IT SPECIFICALLY SAYS SAFE FOR ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS. I know you may have just sprayed any silicone spray, but make sure it is safe for electrical components as that ignition lock is right next to your car's immobilizer. Silicone has and can destroy electrical components.

Next, use WD-40 and spray it in the lock. Then spray the key and insert/re-insert it a few times. Do this over two or three days as the WD-40 will clean it up.

Then, use a penetrating oil such as 3 in 1 or PB blaster and lube the key up, insert/re-insert..
Having some experience cleaning sensitive electrical parts...I'd personally try using isopropyl alcohol first. Then WD-40, then PB Blaster. Just to be safe I'd disconnect the battery and wait for it all to dry before trying to turn it/start it.
travrach likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to enne For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (06-10-2016)
post #5 of 14 Old 06-10-2016, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

ok, thanks for the info, good to know, only thing about rubbing alcohol is that its not in a spray can with a little straw to insert in and spray in the hole, but can just put it on the key part and insert it in and out few times

post #6 of 14 Old 06-10-2016, 05:31 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
You can put it in a spray bottle and spray it in, too. But like I said make sure to disconnect the battery to be safe. 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol will evaporate and won't leave any residue behind. If the buttons on your PlayStation/Genesis/Nintendo controller ever "stop working" you can clean the button contacts with it and 99% of the time it'll fix it, haha.

post #7 of 14 Old 06-10-2016, 06:25 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Thanks for finding that, "enne"- I read this post and thought I had wrote a post about it before and there it was.....

Sorry for beginning it with "Gents",
post #8 of 14 Old 06-10-2016, 06:29 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Thanks for finding that, "enne"- I read this post and thought I had wrote a post about it before and there it was.....
It came up in a Google search about the graphite lubricant
bobbo and travrach like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to enne For This Useful Post:
bobbo (06-10-2016)
post #9 of 14 Old 06-10-2016, 06:58 AM
Bob's your UNCLE ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
It came up in a Google search about the graphite lubricant
Saving the forums ... one Google Search at a time ...
Catfisha, enne and travrach like this.

-'07 K24/AT SE CM5

P&P ’08 TSX IM|P&P OEM Injector Base|’08 TSX TB|HPS short ram intake w/ K&N|wrapped headers
6-6 strut tower brace|Megan Racing strut tower brace|TL-S FSB|TL-S RSB
HDR grills|JDM emblems|HFP front lip|Inspire fogs|Mugen side sills|OEM deck-lid spoiler|OEM Hybrid tails|17"x7" EP-R5 (HFP) rims
ELM 327 Bluetooth|USA Spec BT-35 HON|Kicker CS65's|Kicker CS693's|LED interior bulbs
post #10 of 14 Old 06-10-2016, 08:32 AM
Out of Control

Sounds like you need a locksmith, if you have plenty of lube in there it is a lock or worn key issue. Read this article.

jbillerbeck likes this.

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
post #11 of 14 Old 06-10-2016, 09:35 AM
3rd Gear

This is the only spray i would use with electronics (other than straight 90%+ Isopropal Alchohol).

I have been working on computers for years, and this is my go-to for any type of cleaning that needs done with electrical components.

2004 Honda Accord DX - 5-spd Manual - I4 K24 Motor

post #12 of 14 Old 06-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Out of Control

The electrical part of the switch is separate than the key lock.
travrach likes this.

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
post #13 of 14 Old 06-10-2016, 05:14 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Sounds like a physically worn-out key is the problem here.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
post #14 of 14 Old 06-15-2016, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

thats weird, cause i could of swore i already replied to this post with an update since what i did last, ..........but i guess i did'nt yet?, so i will now

the last thing i said is i was going to try some things, i went out and just inserted a little bristle pipe cleaner in the ignition key hole, and pushed it in and out a few times, and twisted it around and stuff, and alot of black graphite stuff came off onto it, and i wiped it off, and while doing that, it seemed to move something inside or reposition something in there ?, felt like it pulled something inside it more outward ???, can't explain really, but then i put the key in and it went in it deeper, and then i was able to turn it and start the car and did it a couple times in a row just to make sure, not sure if it was just cause i cleaned it more ? or that i moved something inside it ??? that was moved earlier ? and moved it back into position ?

then i drove to honda dealer, and i paid to have a new keyfob and programmed and everything, it cost $64.55 for new keyfob, and $70 to program, total was like $160, but its important to have a good new keyfob, so i just did it, even know i realise i could of took these other routes and screwed with it myself and stuff or took the immobilizer and remote from the old one and put in the new one, etc.., but i just did'nt know if those parts from the old one were even good?, so i just felt better getting all new and having it done right from them.

they also looked at the ignition key cylinder and said it seemed ok to them, and had no problems when trying to start it and turn the key, so its been fine since then. so i guess it was a combination of broken key fobs ? and something moved in the ign. cylinder ? plus maybe dirty or coated inside from graphite too ?

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.