Block heater plug in location ??? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 12-06-2009, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Exclamation Block heater plug in location ???

Hi it getting REAL cold where i live and i need to start plugging in my car ('05 V6 sedan). I've been looking for awhile now but can't find the plug in. Can anyone tell me where this is located or better yet have a picture of it ? Thanks.

Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-06-2009, 02:09 PM
ATR
4th Gear

I am pretty sure (if it's installed ) the plug is behind the front bumper somewhere. it'll look like a electrical plug dangling around.

post #3 of 18 Old 12-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Block heaters don't come standard with Accords, they are accessories which Honda dealership installs, so not all Accords (even Canadian Accords) would have it.

If it is installed, then the connector should be plainly obvious with a receptacle either coming out of the front upper or lower grill openings.

Where about in Canada are you located? I'm guessing Alberta, if so then I can see why you are thinking pluging in, it's been -20C or colder overnights, Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old 12-06-2009, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

LOL good guess, Edmonton haha. Getting REAL cold. So im guesing my car doesn't have one, damn. Can i only get one at Honda or could i find it elsewhere for cheaper (Canadian Tire, Partsoure) ?
post #5 of 18 Old 12-06-2009, 02:58 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey View Post
Can i only get one at Honda or could i find it elsewhere for cheaper (Canadian Tire, Partsoure) ?
The block heater is only $43.20 at (scroll to the bottom of the page)

I would definitely go with the Honda block heater for sure reliability. It's inexpensive enough so anything cheaper really isn't worth it if you'll have to replace it pre-maturely.

2005 Desert Silver EXL-V6
post #6 of 18 Old 12-06-2009, 04:08 PM
4th Gear

IIRC Block heaters are required on all new cars in AB. If it IS installed, just open your engine bay and have a look around. It might not be near the front where you would expect it. Especially if it's never been used, it could be zap-strapped somewhere.

2008 Accord V6 EX-L Sedan - "Bettie"
2008 Ridgeline EX-L

Previous Vehicles:
2000 Accord LX Sedan - "Evelyn"

1987 Accord DX Hatch

2008 VW Jetta TDI w/DSG
2006 VW Jetta TDI Sport
1987 VW GTI
1998 Ford F150
1986 Ford F150 LPG - "Natalia"
2008 Jeep Wrangler X - "Jessica Jeep"
1990 Bison APC Amphib 8WD - "Recce Witherspoon"
post #7 of 18 Old 12-06-2009, 04:17 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via MSN to andres0603 Send a message via Yahoo to andres0603
what is the purpose of the block heater, does it make the car run smoother in the mornings?

2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6
mods done:
17" Chrome-Look Alloy Wheels
OEM Illuminated door sills
white LED back-up lights
exLED 6K interior lights

2006 Honda Accord EX-L V6
mods done:
white LED interior lights, stage II
OEM foglights
tint 35% all around
post #8 of 18 Old 12-06-2009, 04:20 PM
4th Gear

Helps the engine run smoother or depending on how cold it is - it allows the engine to start.

2008 Accord V6 EX-L Sedan - "Bettie"
2008 Ridgeline EX-L

Previous Vehicles:
2000 Accord LX Sedan - "Evelyn"

1987 Accord DX Hatch

2008 VW Jetta TDI w/DSG
2006 VW Jetta TDI Sport
1987 VW GTI
1998 Ford F150
1986 Ford F150 LPG - "Natalia"
2008 Jeep Wrangler X - "Jessica Jeep"
1990 Bison APC Amphib 8WD - "Recce Witherspoon"
post #9 of 18 Old 12-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGlicko View Post
IIRC Block heaters are required on all new cars in AB. If it IS installed, just open your engine bay and have a look around. It might not be near the front where you would expect it. Especially if it's never been used, it could be zap-strapped somewhere.
Good point! I went on a business trip to Cold Lake many years ago (in the summer time fortunately), I pulled up to the hotel parking spots and wondered why there is a post in front of all the parking spots with a receptable on it.

Took 5 seconds to sink in that this place must be damn cold in the winter and those receptacles are for block heater plug-in!

post #10 of 18 Old 12-06-2009, 04:57 PM

Joey,
which engine?

V6 block heater is in the front bank, close to transmission. 4 cylinder block heater is in the rear, above oil filter.

Both cords run to the left side of the opening in the bumper.

Installing either isn't hard. The drain bolt on the V6 is tight, a 19mm socket and large ratchet is required to loosen it. The 4 cylinder's block drain is INSIDE the threaded area for the block heater, it's a 10mm allen, and it's put in with RED loctite, so it's a real PITA to get out. It's necessary to remove that plug so the heater element is immersed in the coolant.

You'll need Honda Type 2 coolant, as you won't be able to save all the coolant that goes everywhere when you pull the drains.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #11 of 18 Old 12-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Joey indicated 05' V-6, hopefully his car already has it installed and it's just the plug being well hidden........

My Integra's cooland drain plug was a royal pain to loosen, needed a 1/2" drive ratchet PLUS a length of pipe to bust it loose!

post #12 of 18 Old 12-06-2009, 06:28 PM

So I'm blind.... shoot me. Been having more and more weird issues lately..

I doubt it's got a block heater, even when the car is sold up in Canada. They'll do as much as they can to keep the price down (their cost).

If he looks under the hood, the cord should be easily visible by looking by the front catalyst.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #13 of 18 Old 01-03-2014, 08:40 PM
My First Post

im in minnesota and as you probably know it gets pretty cold here too. ive been getting nagged at to find the block heater so i looked around in there and didnt see any outlet. so i came here and now i know!

anyhow, its getting down to -10F or lower at night plus windchill but as always the 03 ex v6 starts just fine. if not on the first try then surely on the second. its only been my second winter with the car and last year it wasnt as cold. still i think it would be best to plug it in just so its a little easier for the car.

love my accord
post #14 of 18 Old 01-05-2014, 06:19 AM
4th Gear

Check around the grill area. My crown Vic had one and being in the Midwest wasn't as bad as you guys but V8s don't like cold like that. It was a nice feature and helped thing warm up faster in the mornings. If I had a garage I would get it now. Silly central Indiana people are freaking out over 8" of snow and -3 degrees.

2005 SSM Sedan LX ;Matte Black Grille with black Emblem ;15% Tint all around ;12" Kenwood Subwoofer
Plasti Dip Black Badges ;Plasti Dip Hubcaps ;White LED Lights all around ;120 LED SMD switchback with Relay mod ;Custom 2.5" Cat Back Exhaust ;Fujita Cold Air Intake ;TSX Intake Manifold ;P2R Gaskets ;178,000+ Miles; Weathertech Digital Fit Liners
post #15 of 18 Old 01-05-2014, 07:01 AM
4th Gear

Well here is a link to installation instructions, should help you see if you have one or not:

V6

I4

2004 EX coupe I4 auto.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris333 For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (01-05-2014)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.