Coolant Leak Near Thermostat Housing - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
5Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 03-22-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Coolant Leak Near Thermostat Housing

I am leaking coolant in this area and it is getting worse. I searched and this does not appear to be a common problem, or if it is, I can't find much on it.

Is it likely the thermostat housing o-ring? The hose appears to be in good shape. Does the thermostat housing crack occasionally?

The entire assembly rattles a bit at the connection but I suspect this is normal for the 'quick disconnect' design.

Amazon sells the genuine Honda assembly with thermostat and o-ring for like $60 or I can go Stant for like $40.

2004 i4 AT
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-28-2016, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions.

I decided to buy the genuine Honda thermostat and housing assembly, but I got it via Honda's eStore website. Only $44.

So far, no leaks.

2004 i4 AT
post #3 of 32 Old 03-29-2016, 11:02 AM
3rd Gear

We are here to help.

post #4 of 32 Old 03-29-2016, 11:48 AM
Out of Control

what was the cause of the leak?

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.
post #5 of 32 Old 03-29-2016, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
what was the cause of the leak?
It looks like it was leaking between the thermostat housing and that funky elbow piece with the clip on it. The elbow piece had a lot of crud and dried up coolant on it so I soaked it in vinegar for a few minutes and scrubbed it with a toothbrush.

That and/or the new thermostat & housing did the trick. Still no leaks.
enne likes this.

2004 i4 AT
post #6 of 32 Old 03-29-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

BTW I also replaced my radiator which made it easier to get to the thermostat housing bolts. Denso radiator, free shipping, $77 on Amazon. Smokin' deal. Even had the little adapter for the coolant temperature sensor (which I did not need).

Here is the reason I replaced the radiator:
Attached Images

2004 i4 AT

Last edited by Gooch; 03-29-2016 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Added price and source for radiator
post #7 of 32 Old 03-29-2016, 07:41 PM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Whoa, NOW I know what you were talking about. I am sorry I could not help.

Good work on the replacement. I still don't understand what went wrong there. Can you shed any light on the coolant, how long you've owned the car, etc?

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)
post #8 of 32 Old 03-29-2016, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Whoa, NOW I know what you were talking about. I am sorry I could not help.

Good work on the replacement. I still don't understand what went wrong there. Can you shed any light on the coolant, how long you've owned the car, etc?
Had the car for 12 years.

Coolant? Using Zerex Asian. I think the leak started after I attempted to replace the lower hose (and failed because I couldn't access the clamp at the radiator end until yesterday, when I changed the radiator). Maybe I pulled on it too hard and messed up the quick-disconnect at that time.

I still don't understand that quick-disconnect fitting. Just seems like a problem waiting to happen. I guess it makes the thermostat housing swap easy though.

Just to clarify, the radiator wasn't leaking. The damage shown above made me want to change it because I knew it was just matter of time before the upper hose blew off.

The leak was at the quick-disconnect fitting.

One more tidbit...in my post-repair check I found out that the driver's side cooling fan is not working. It's getting 12 volts when the A/C is on, so it appears to be shot.

Amazon sells an aftermarket housing/shroud with both fans for like $82 so I will probably do that. Too bad I didn't already have it as I could have just slipped it in after the radiator replacement for no extra work.

2004 i4 AT
post #9 of 32 Old 03-30-2016, 04:55 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Amazon sells an aftermarket housing/shroud with both fans for like $82 so I will probably do that. Too bad I didn't already have it as I could have just slipped it in after the radiator replacement for no extra work.

Glad you got the coolant leak figured out.

Just a question, are you shopping around for parts online, or just going through Amazon for everything? I find that Amazon has outrageous prices on stuff in general, about 75% of the time. I usually buy used parts on eBay (or go to the salvage yard), sometimes I get new parts on there too, if it's not something too complicated. Just wondering

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #10 of 32 Old 03-30-2016, 06:42 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Here is the reason I replaced the radiator:

What kind of hose clamp did you have on it? I ask, because if it was a worm clamp, it would not expand for the heat expansions that plastic goes through. The plastic would eventually crack up like in the pic. When plastic is involved, only a spring clamp should be used. Worm clamps are okay for metal. Many a radiator is ruined by people not knowing this.

Worm and spring clamps
t-rd and jfuredy like this.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew03Accord For This Useful Post:
jfuredy (03-30-2016), RickBlaine (03-30-2016)
post #11 of 32 Old 03-30-2016, 07:07 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Holy Knowledge, Batman!

Drew: I never even thought of that. Makes sense. Thank you!
post #12 of 32 Old 03-30-2016, 07:08 AM
Out of Control

The main issue is the force on the worm clamp is focused right at the gear putting stress on the plastic. Never use a worm clamp on a plastic radiator.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
post #13 of 32 Old 03-30-2016, 07:09 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
I've heard when installing a new muffler or section of pipe (if it's not completely welded together) you should clamp it, drive until it gets hot, then re-adjust the clamps to compensate for the heat expansion. Similar idea, since I don't think they make spring clamps big enough for exhaust piping, lol.

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #14 of 32 Old 03-30-2016, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew03Accord View Post

What kind of hose clamp did you have on it? I ask, because if it was a worm clamp, it would not expand for the heat expansions that plastic goes through. The plastic would eventually crack up like in the pic. When plastic is involved, only a spring clamp should be used. Worm clamps are okay for metal. Many a radiator is ruined by people not knowing this.
I am using the factory spring clamps. They are a pain to work with, but I like them better because they can't back off and loosen like the worm type and you can't over-tighten them.

I never thought about the expansion, but that makes perfect sense. Yet another reason to stick with the spring type. I just wish I had a better tool to remove and install them. The ones on the transmission lines were a real pain because my pliers weren't wide enough to pick up all three ears. I just ordered 90° bend needle nose pliers which hopefully will work better.

2004 i4 AT
post #15 of 32 Old 03-30-2016, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
Glad you got the coolant leak figured out.

Just a question, are you shopping around for parts online, or just going through Amazon for everything? I find that Amazon has outrageous prices on stuff in general, about 75% of the time. I usually buy used parts on eBay (or go to the salvage yard), sometimes I get new parts on there too, if it's not something too complicated. Just wondering
While I don't buy everything on Amazon, I admit that it is the first place I check. They didn't have the best deal on the genuine Honda thermostat and housing assembly, but is there a better deal than $77 for a Denso radiator with free shipping?

2004 i4 AT
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.