Check-Engine light after fill-up. - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
  • 2 Post By Drew03Accord
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-15-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Check-Engine light after fill-up.

Went to fuel up on a very cold night and the gas was really low (low fuel level indicator had been on for about 10 minutes). Anyway, filled to half-tank and started cruising home. Check engine light came on less than two minutes into my drive. It was late, so could not make a trip to AutoZone i.e I do not have a code yet. Any wild guesses as to what may have caused this?

2006 Honda Accord EX 2.4 Auto 160K
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-15-2016, 10:54 PM
Out of Control

A loose filler cap comes to mind. Gotta turn it so it clicks. Of course, an O2 sensor could also have gone bad and the timing with fill up, coincidental.

Fact is, without knowing what the code is, you're shooting in the dark.

Das Chicken and enne like this.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-16-2016, 07:29 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Agree with Drew....one time I did not close my gas cap, and the Check Engine Light (CEL) light went on. Some call it the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL).

You can get the code read, or next time you want to start your car, push in the odometer stalk and hold it in while you start the car, keep the stalk pushed in, and the code should clear within 10 seconds, then release the stalk.

Of course, make sure your gas cap is tight BEFORE you start the car.

post #4 of 12 Old 02-16-2016, 08:52 AM
'07 EX-L Navi 6-6 Sedan

Send a message via Yahoo to MiragePilot
I have had a few cases recently, where I get a text warning in the instrument (odometer) display, saying "Check Fuel Cap". In all three cases when this happened, I was very low on fuel, approx 2 gal remaining. As soon as I filled up, the "error message" never returned.

I have an '07 Sedan, so I would think the 06 would have a similar warning, as opposed to a MIL/CEL flag, yes?

'07 EX-L Navi V6 6MT Sedan
post #5 of 12 Old 02-16-2016, 08:56 AM
Bout it, Bout it

Like others said, check the gas cap. The gasket on mine had little cracks causing the CEL to turn on. Replaced it with an OEM one and the light went off.

2018 Hyundai Elantra VE
2002 Honda Accord EX-L SULEV -- 210K miles
2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD -- 50K miles
2002 Infiniti I35 -- 130K miles VQ35 BABY!
post #6 of 12 Old 02-16-2016, 10:21 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCapp View Post
Went to fuel up on a very cold night and the gas was really low (low fuel level indicator had been on for about 10 minutes). Anyway, filled to half-tank and started cruising home. Check engine light came on less than two minutes into my drive. It was late, so could not make a trip to AutoZone i.e I do not have a code yet. Any wild guesses as to what may have caused this?
As cold as it has been up in MA, did you refuel with the engine running to keep the cabin warm? Other than a loose,leaky cap gasket this could trip that light too. Just a WAG though.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #7 of 12 Old 02-16-2016, 10:30 AM
Out of Control

Fill up or half fill up?

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-16-2016, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Go to a PepBoy or AutoZone to have the CEL code read for free, if it shows a code for Evaporative system, then chances are you fuel filler cap wasn't tightened properly.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

Last edited by Aviography; 02-16-2016 at 08:49 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-16-2016, 02:25 PM
BRWNFLSH now

The little tether got caught under the cap one time, and the CEL came on. The 03 model doesn't have the gas cap warning in the odometer display.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #10 of 12 Old 02-17-2016, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Had the codes read at Autozone:

P2185 = engine coolant temperature sensor #2 high voltage.

P0420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold

P2185: I recently replaced the radiator, but I used the old sensor. CEL came on but reset itself within a short drive. Guy at Autozone thinks the code is "stuck" in the OBC even though it wasn't displaying.

P0420: This may be related to the gas cap, and the Honda manual suggests driving normally for about three days and that should reset. I will update accordingly.

2006 Honda Accord EX 2.4 Auto 160K
post #11 of 12 Old 02-17-2016, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm, I don't think P0420 would be related to the gas cap.

I had the CEL on a few years ago before I got myself an OBD-II reader, the local auto store checked the code for me, IIRC it said something related to the evaporative control system which made total sense as I had just fueled up a day or two before, the guy cleared out the code for me, I retightened the fuel filler cap and the code never came back.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

post #12 of 12 Old 02-17-2016, 06:27 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCapp View Post
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Had the codes read at Autozone:
P0420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold

P0420: This may be related to the gas cap, and the Honda manual suggests driving normally for about three days and that should reset. I will update accordingly.
In the really cold weather last year. -5 to 5 degrees. I got the P0420 code. I figured that catalyst got up to temp intermittently on those days. Happened twice, but never after that.

2006 EX-L Coupe 2.4L 5MT 162,500
Sapphire Blue Pearl w/Ivory Leather

夢のパワー
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.