My VTEC is not working - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 10-13-2005, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Thumbs down My VTEC is not working

I had my car at the stealership yesterday because they were fixing some more rattles

I noticed within about a minute of driving it that the VTEC is not doing its thing. First thing I did was check the oil and it is fine.

I called them up today and told them it was not working and the first thing they asked was if my check engine light was on. Of course it is not on and has never been on. They then asked me how I know it's not working. I told the guy that it is very obvious when it kicks in because it feels like you floored it. I told him that during normal acceleration when you reach about 2500 rpms the call pulls harder like I punched the gas pedal.

It's not doing that at all now. I'm taking it in tomorrow so they can look at it. I'm really hoping they can figure it out because my I4 auto is no fun without the VTEC.

Tonight on my drive home I had to slow down for someone who was turning and I punched it at about 20 mph and let it go to about 60 mph and it took probably 10+ seconds to do it even though it did shift at redline

Has anybody had a similar experience???

2007 Accord EXL-V6 Sedan Auto (Alabaster Silver)
2012 Odyssey EX-L (Polished Metal Metallic)
2013 Accord EXL-I4 Sedan CVT (Obsidian Blue Pearl)
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 10-13-2005, 06:57 PM
Out of Control

VTEC doesn't always work. Takes into account how much gas is left, oil level, engine temp, oil temp, etc. Maybe fill up the gas tank?

post #3 of 52 Old 10-13-2005, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiBoy650
VTEC doesn't always work. Takes into account how much gas is left, oil level, engine temp, oil temp, etc. Maybe fill up the gas tank?
Seriously? I have half a tank of gas. I've put 1200 miles on my car and this is the first time it hasn't worked. Although I've never let the gas get very low on the car either since the most I have ever put in it is 11 or 12 gallons.

post #4 of 52 Old 10-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Out of Control

Ya I've heard VTEC does take into account how much gas you have left but 1/2 tank sounds like plenty. Dunno. I was going to say could be that your engine wasn't warmed up - but doesn't sound like it's that. Make sure you oil is up to the top fill line?
post #5 of 52 Old 10-13-2005, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiBoy650
Ya I've heard VTEC does take into account how much gas you have left but 1/2 tank sounds like plenty. Dunno. I was going to say could be that your engine wasn't warmed up - but doesn't sound like it's that. Make sure you oil is up to the top fill line?
The engine is warm since it was driven for 30+ minutes. It used to kick in even when it was cold.

My oil was in between the lines so I filled it to the top line (took about 1/2 a quart to get to the top line) but that wasn't it.

Knowing my luck it will probably start working tomorrow morning when I go to take it to the dealership.

post #6 of 52 Old 10-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Out of Control

i dont feel a difference at 2500 unless i'm really on the gas. i do hear a difference in engine sound at ~2300 though. do you hear the sound difference?

2006 BMW 330i 6MT (Alpine White/Terra)
post #7 of 52 Old 10-13-2005, 11:16 PM
Rush fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermy4
I had my car at the stealership yesterday because they were fixing some more rattles

I noticed within about a minute of driving it that the VTEC is not doing its thing. First thing I did was check the oil and it is fine.

I called them up today and told them it was not working and the first thing they asked was if my check engine light was on. Of course it is not on and has never been on. They then asked me how I know it's not working. I told the guy that it is very obvious when it kicks in because it feels like you floored it. I told him that during normal acceleration when you reach about 2500 rpms the call pulls harder like I punched the gas pedal.

It's not doing that at all now. I'm taking it in tomorrow so they can look at it. I'm really hoping they can figure it out because my I4 auto is no fun without the VTEC.

Tonight on my drive home I had to slow down for someone who was turning and I punched it at about 20 mph and let it go to about 60 mph and it took probably 10+ seconds to do it even though it did shift at redline

Has anybody had a similar experience???
I know what you mean about feeling the VTEC kick in. I had the same problem recently but in my case it was just because my floor mat had slid up under my gas pedal keeping me from flooring it (I hadn't rehooked it after vaccuming this weekend). If its not your floor mat, then I would suspect its the computer. Maybe they reset the computer (ECU) and the car is having to relearn its fuel curve and VTEC engagement points.

Gabe
2004 Accord LX coupe 2.4L auto 149,000 mi
1989 CRX 500,000 mi (sold)
post #8 of 52 Old 10-14-2005, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

It's not my floormat and you are right about the sound. The engine doesn't sound the same and it's not a good thing. It sounds buzzy all the sudden which is quite different than how it used to sound. Wish me luck it's going to the dealership in an hour.

post #9 of 52 Old 10-14-2005, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

The dealership just called me and said there is nothing wrong with my car. I guess I'll be resetting the ECU myself tonight to see if that brings the vtec back from the dead.

post #10 of 52 Old 10-14-2005, 12:40 PM
6 fwd gears, no reverse

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
you need vtec oil yo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack
It seems the only thing folks in NYC understand is lawyers or the taleban.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 52 Old 10-14-2005, 12:54 PM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

Did you make sure that the engine is fully warmed up before trying to get into VTEC?? The most common causes for VTEC not working is a cold engine or the MIL is on.

The dealer may have resetted the ECU during the fixing of the rattles so that could be why the car feels different.. It "forgot" how you like to drive! Just drive it around for a week and see if it feels ok.
post #12 of 52 Old 10-14-2005, 01:14 PM
ECU resets fix the idle..

Just to check, you could reset the ECU and then go out on the street and hammer it.

(although not good for fuel economy)

post #13 of 52 Old 10-14-2005, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dads-car
Just to check, you could reset the ECU and then go out on the street and hammer it.

(although not good for fuel economy)

You read my mind. This is exactly what I plan to do if it won't kick on during my drive home from the dealership.

post #14 of 52 Old 10-14-2005, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMV6
Did you make sure that the engine is fully warmed up before trying to get into VTEC?? The most common causes for VTEC not working is a cold engine or the MIL is on.

The dealer may have resetted the ECU during the fixing of the rattles so that could be why the car feels different.. It "forgot" how you like to drive! Just drive it around for a week and see if it feels ok.
The engine is warm but I'm not sure what MIL is.

The dealer claimed that they didn't touch the engine but I guess it is possible that they reset the ECU

post #15 of 52 Old 10-14-2005, 01:30 PM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermy4
The engine is warm but I'm not sure what MIL is.

The dealer claimed that they didn't touch the engine but I guess it is possible that they reset the ECU
MIL = Malfunction Indicator Light = Check Engine Light (orange light that says "engine" in the dash)

When I said that the dealer resetting the ECU I meant having the negative battery cable disconnected when they're working on the rattle in your car.. It not likely, but it's possible.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.