My VTEC is not working - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 10-13-2005, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

jermy4's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005
location: St Louis Area
Posts: 1,399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thumbs down My VTEC is not working

I had my car at the stealership yesterday because they were fixing some more rattles

I noticed within about a minute of driving it that the VTEC is not doing its thing. First thing I did was check the oil and it is fine.

I called them up today and told them it was not working and the first thing they asked was if my check engine light was on. Of course it is not on and has never been on. They then asked me how I know it's not working. I told the guy that it is very obvious when it kicks in because it feels like you floored it. I told him that during normal acceleration when you reach about 2500 rpms the call pulls harder like I punched the gas pedal.

It's not doing that at all now. I'm taking it in tomorrow so they can look at it. I'm really hoping they can figure it out because my I4 auto is no fun without the VTEC.

Tonight on my drive home I had to slow down for someone who was turning and I punched it at about 20 mph and let it go to about 60 mph and it took probably 10+ seconds to do it even though it did shift at redline

Has anybody had a similar experience???


2007 Accord EXL-V6 Sedan Auto (Alabaster Silver)
2012 Odyssey EX-L (Polished Metal Metallic)
2013 Accord EXL-I4 Sedan CVT (Obsidian Blue Pearl)
jermy4 is offline
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 10-13-2005, 06:57 PM
Out of Control

BenjiBoy650's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 11,205
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
VTEC doesn't always work. Takes into account how much gas is left, oil level, engine temp, oil temp, etc. Maybe fill up the gas tank?

BenjiBoy650 is offline
post #3 of 52 Old 10-13-2005, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

jermy4's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005
location: St Louis Area
Posts: 1,399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiBoy650
VTEC doesn't always work. Takes into account how much gas is left, oil level, engine temp, oil temp, etc. Maybe fill up the gas tank?
Seriously? I have half a tank of gas. I've put 1200 miles on my car and this is the first time it hasn't worked. Although I've never let the gas get very low on the car either since the most I have ever put in it is 11 or 12 gallons.

2007 Accord EXL-V6 Sedan Auto (Alabaster Silver)
2012 Odyssey EX-L (Polished Metal Metallic)
2013 Accord EXL-I4 Sedan CVT (Obsidian Blue Pearl)
jermy4 is offline

post #4 of 52 Old 10-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Out of Control

BenjiBoy650's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 11,205
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Ya I've heard VTEC does take into account how much gas you have left but 1/2 tank sounds like plenty. Dunno. I was going to say could be that your engine wasn't warmed up - but doesn't sound like it's that. Make sure you oil is up to the top fill line?
BenjiBoy650 is offline
post #5 of 52 Old 10-13-2005, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

jermy4's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005
location: St Louis Area
Posts: 1,399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiBoy650
Ya I've heard VTEC does take into account how much gas you have left but 1/2 tank sounds like plenty. Dunno. I was going to say could be that your engine wasn't warmed up - but doesn't sound like it's that. Make sure you oil is up to the top fill line?
The engine is warm since it was driven for 30+ minutes. It used to kick in even when it was cold.

My oil was in between the lines so I filled it to the top line (took about 1/2 a quart to get to the top line) but that wasn't it.

Knowing my luck it will probably start working tomorrow morning when I go to take it to the dealership.

2007 Accord EXL-V6 Sedan Auto (Alabaster Silver)
2012 Odyssey EX-L (Polished Metal Metallic)
2013 Accord EXL-I4 Sedan CVT (Obsidian Blue Pearl)
jermy4 is offline
post #6 of 52 Old 10-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Out of Control

VTECaddict's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2004
location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,667
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i dont feel a difference at 2500 unless i'm really on the gas. i do hear a difference in engine sound at ~2300 though. do you hear the sound difference?

2006 BMW 330i 6MT (Alpine White/Terra)
VTECaddict is offline
post #7 of 52 Old 10-13-2005, 11:16 PM
Rush fan

04blkpearlcoupe's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2004
location: southern california
Posts: 871
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermy4
I had my car at the stealership yesterday because they were fixing some more rattles

I noticed within about a minute of driving it that the VTEC is not doing its thing. First thing I did was check the oil and it is fine.

I called them up today and told them it was not working and the first thing they asked was if my check engine light was on. Of course it is not on and has never been on. They then asked me how I know it's not working. I told the guy that it is very obvious when it kicks in because it feels like you floored it. I told him that during normal acceleration when you reach about 2500 rpms the call pulls harder like I punched the gas pedal.

It's not doing that at all now. I'm taking it in tomorrow so they can look at it. I'm really hoping they can figure it out because my I4 auto is no fun without the VTEC.

Tonight on my drive home I had to slow down for someone who was turning and I punched it at about 20 mph and let it go to about 60 mph and it took probably 10+ seconds to do it even though it did shift at redline

Has anybody had a similar experience???
I know what you mean about feeling the VTEC kick in. I had the same problem recently but in my case it was just because my floor mat had slid up under my gas pedal keeping me from flooring it (I hadn't rehooked it after vaccuming this weekend). If its not your floor mat, then I would suspect its the computer. Maybe they reset the computer (ECU) and the car is having to relearn its fuel curve and VTEC engagement points.

Gabe
2004 Accord LX coupe 2.4L auto 149,000 mi
1989 CRX 500,000 mi (sold)
04blkpearlcoupe is offline
post #8 of 52 Old 10-14-2005, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

jermy4's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005
location: St Louis Area
Posts: 1,399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's not my floormat and you are right about the sound. The engine doesn't sound the same and it's not a good thing. It sounds buzzy all the sudden which is quite different than how it used to sound. Wish me luck it's going to the dealership in an hour.

2007 Accord EXL-V6 Sedan Auto (Alabaster Silver)
2012 Odyssey EX-L (Polished Metal Metallic)
2013 Accord EXL-I4 Sedan CVT (Obsidian Blue Pearl)
jermy4 is offline
post #9 of 52 Old 10-14-2005, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

jermy4's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005
location: St Louis Area
Posts: 1,399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
The dealership just called me and said there is nothing wrong with my car. I guess I'll be resetting the ECU myself tonight to see if that brings the vtec back from the dead.

2007 Accord EXL-V6 Sedan Auto (Alabaster Silver)
2012 Odyssey EX-L (Polished Metal Metallic)
2013 Accord EXL-I4 Sedan CVT (Obsidian Blue Pearl)
jermy4 is offline
post #10 of 52 Old 10-14-2005, 12:40 PM
6 fwd gears, no reverse

Join Date: Dec 2004
location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,733
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to OwAce
you need vtec oil yo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack
It seems the only thing folks in NYC understand is lawyers or the taleban.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OwAce is offline
post #11 of 52 Old 10-14-2005, 12:54 PM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

SSMV6's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2005
location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,723
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Did you make sure that the engine is fully warmed up before trying to get into VTEC?? The most common causes for VTEC not working is a cold engine or the MIL is on.

The dealer may have resetted the ECU during the fixing of the rattles so that could be why the car feels different.. It "forgot" how you like to drive! Just drive it around for a week and see if it feels ok.
SSMV6 is offline
post #12 of 52 Old 10-14-2005, 01:14 PM
ECU resets fix the idle..

dads-car's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2005
location: New Zealand
Posts: 547
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to check, you could reset the ECU and then go out on the street and hammer it.

(although not good for fuel economy)

dads-car is offline
post #13 of 52 Old 10-14-2005, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

jermy4's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005
location: St Louis Area
Posts: 1,399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dads-car
Just to check, you could reset the ECU and then go out on the street and hammer it.

(although not good for fuel economy)

You read my mind. This is exactly what I plan to do if it won't kick on during my drive home from the dealership.

2007 Accord EXL-V6 Sedan Auto (Alabaster Silver)
2012 Odyssey EX-L (Polished Metal Metallic)
2013 Accord EXL-I4 Sedan CVT (Obsidian Blue Pearl)
jermy4 is offline
post #14 of 52 Old 10-14-2005, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

jermy4's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005
location: St Louis Area
Posts: 1,399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMV6
Did you make sure that the engine is fully warmed up before trying to get into VTEC?? The most common causes for VTEC not working is a cold engine or the MIL is on.

The dealer may have resetted the ECU during the fixing of the rattles so that could be why the car feels different.. It "forgot" how you like to drive! Just drive it around for a week and see if it feels ok.
The engine is warm but I'm not sure what MIL is.

The dealer claimed that they didn't touch the engine but I guess it is possible that they reset the ECU

2007 Accord EXL-V6 Sedan Auto (Alabaster Silver)
2012 Odyssey EX-L (Polished Metal Metallic)
2013 Accord EXL-I4 Sedan CVT (Obsidian Blue Pearl)
jermy4 is offline
post #15 of 52 Old 10-14-2005, 01:30 PM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

SSMV6's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2005
location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,723
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermy4
The engine is warm but I'm not sure what MIL is.

The dealer claimed that they didn't touch the engine but I guess it is possible that they reset the ECU
MIL = Malfunction Indicator Light = Check Engine Light (orange light that says "engine" in the dash)

When I said that the dealer resetting the ECU I meant having the negative battery cable disconnected when they're working on the rattle in your car.. It not likely, but it's possible.

SSMV6 is offline
Advertisement

Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to


Related pages


1998 honda civic clutch replacementtowing with honda accordcivic versus accordproblems with 2005 honda accord1990 honda accord seat covershonda keys cuta14 honda servicereplacing cloth seats with leathereverstart 96r2001 honda accord specsfortin bypass moduleron jon fort lauderdale fl2013 honda odyssey oil change intervalobd2 port coverhonda ridgeline navigation dvdcentric rotorsviper smart start installation costwill seafoam clean my catalytic convertermotorcycle v62006 honda odyssey oil reseteric the car guy timing beltcost to repair keyed car1997 honda accord alternatorpioneer avh 4100bmw 3 series versus 5 series2001 honda accord bolt patterncars with 5x100 bolt patternhonda cr v o2 sensor replacement cost1999 honda accord maintenance schedulehonda diagnosticviper remote start key fobheadlight and taillight tint4x8 uhaul trailerctx65cszurich extended auto warranty reviews2006 honda civic antifreezehow to take out a headlighthonda crv 2012 navigation systemakebono pads review9006 headlight bulb reviewstail light tint illegalddm tuning supporthonda authorized body shoprockford 3sixty.2average cost to replace a clutchrsx check engine lightbest trunk mount bike rack1995 honda accord recallsmounting amp on sub boxlatest honda accord malaysiahonda accord transmission fluid changehow much to program key fobchange speedometer from kilometers to milescoupe sedan differencersx check engine lightchanging miles to kilometerstype 2 antifreezetransmission fluid burntarizonian silverhonda crv 2012 towing capacity84 honda civic hatchbackhonda odyssey oil change resetprogramming astrostart remotehonda dealer in kennewick wacompustar vs viperhonda symbol replacementpioneer nex carplayh11 headlight bulbs brightestcost of changing brakeshonda distributor coil