Where to buy keyfob shell? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 10-04-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Where to buy keyfob shell?

Hi gang,

Tried to start my car yesterday and felt a "give" as the fob cracked around the key. The buttons for arm/disarm/trunk are all fine, it's just the fob shell around the key is cracked.

I took it apart thinking the key would come out easily and I could swap the guts out. The guts and buttons come out easily, but the key is pretty set withing the shell.

Do I have to go to the dealer, or do you have any other ideas?

2006 Accord EX-L I4 AT w/Navi
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Insert witty statement

Ebay

2011 HPF coupe V6At

Past:
2004 EX-L coupe
2010 EX V6 coupe
2003 EX coupe
1990 EXR sedan
post #3 of 18 Old 10-04-2009, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Will I have to get the key blade cut at the dealer? I'm unclear if my existing blade can be removed from the shell. I see no obvious way of removing it.

post #4 of 18 Old 10-04-2009, 04:32 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatCrazy View Post
Will I have to get the key blade cut at the dealer? I'm unclear if my existing blade can be removed from the shell. I see no obvious way of removing it.
I don't know about yours, but mine has a tiny screw on the back (side w/ Honda logo) to attach the key to the base. (Phillips-head) Hope this helps!

2005 Honda Accord V6 6MT
Sapphire Blue Pearl
post #5 of 18 Old 10-04-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Yes, mine has that. I removed the screw, and then the blade, but not with out destroying the already damaged fob.

Meaning, just unscrewing the screw leaves the blade still incased in plastic unless you wrestle it out. Using this manner to remove the blade from a new fob would render it broken as well.

post #6 of 18 Old 10-05-2009, 04:21 AM
6th Gear

Ah, I see what you mean now. The screw is for opening the shell and the base of the key blade is anchored within the shell as one solid fitment.

You will have to get a new key cut. Search "Honda Accord key" on ebay, as suggested by j-roc. There are shells w/ uncut keys listed for sale. Although they don't appear to have the actual Honda logo on the back, they are the proper shape/size. The only ones I saw for sale with the actual logo also come with the remote innards, but it doesn't cost much more. One of the ads specifically mentions that you cannot use your old key, and must get a new one cut. It says, "We get this question every day... No other way around it."

2005 Honda Accord V6 6MT
Sapphire Blue Pearl
post #7 of 18 Old 10-05-2009, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Thanks for the help, I will report back with the eventual solution

post #8 of 18 Old 10-05-2009, 08:48 AM
1st Gear

Compare prices before you pull the trigger. I bought an Acura TL switchblade when I first got my car, as I hated how big the stock key/fob felt in my pocket. There's a great write-up somewhere around here with excellent pics.

I think it was about $60 shipped for the switchblade fob off ebay. I paid a local locksmith $40 to cut the new blank, and then took the chip out of my old most beatup fob and transplanted it, and lastly reprogrammed my car to accept the new fob. Works great and over a year later the TL fob has held up nicely.

Also, I now have a key, the original, that won't start my car but will unlock the doors. I keep it locked in the glovebox for when I need to hand it to a friend to get in my car or whatnot.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Newb with old accord

how easy/hard is it to move the transponder from an old key into a new key housing? what does it look like?

2005 Honda Accord EX V6 w/ Navi
Automatic
AEM V2 Cold Air Intake
AnzoUSA Projector Headlights
Lightwerkz 5k HID Kit
Piaa Fog lights
Curt Class 1 Trailer Hitch
post #10 of 18 Old 10-05-2009, 06:25 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisssss View Post
how easy/hard is it to move the transponder from an old key into a new key housing? what does it look like?
Here are two threads to look at for many answers to the questions on this thread.
eBay Flip Key - not so bad

Switchblade Key Mod for sedans (easy)
post #11 of 18 Old 10-05-2009, 06:35 PM
04 4D 5MT Accord LX 152k

Send a message via AIM to mikefxu
post #12 of 18 Old 10-21-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Hi again.

I read those links thanks.

OK, so dumb question time, if I but this key on ebay:

I understand to get my dealer to cut it, but does the dealer also need to re-program the immobilizer, or is the immobilizer going to be done via the "Free Programming" that this seller is promising?

post #13 of 18 Old 10-22-2009, 04:56 PM
04 4D 5MT Accord LX 152k

Don't make this harder than it has to be.

Purchase:

Put current key blade, immobilizer, and remote inside of new shell, done and done.

See attached picture.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-22-2009, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefxu View Post
Don't make this harder than it has to be.

Purchase:

Put current key blade, immobilizer, and remote inside of new shell, done and done.

See attached picture.

Thanks. That link for the shell almost seems too cheap!

How can I remove the immobilizer without ruining it? Your picture shows two pieces, but I guess I only see one in my key, it's still embedded at this time.

post #15 of 18 Old 10-22-2009, 06:21 PM
04 4D 5MT Accord LX 152k

I have bought from deal extreme many times. Item will come from Hong Kong and takes about 1-2 weeks and will be marked as a "gift". The top piece in the box for the immobilizer is the hold down and the bottom/non-square piece is the actual immobilizer. The the hold down has two tabs on the top and bottom (in the picture) it should be easy to get out. Just don't do what this guy did, guess he couldn't figure it out. http://radio-pro.ru/forums/sh...d.php?p=508163

Edit: Just tried getting my immobilizer out. The cap is easy to get off by the actual immobilizer has held in with a spot of glue. I didn't want to butcher my working key fob. You may have to butcher you current key fob to get the immobilizer out.

Edit again: Seems the key blade is molded to the shell so you will have the new key blade cut.

One more edit: quote from another post on here: "I just pried the chip out with a small straight jeweler's screwdriver. The chip is pretty solid, it would take some brute force to damage it."

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.