Compressor Stator - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-30-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
04 4D 5MT Accord LX 152k

Send a message via AIM to mikefxu
Compressor Stator

138K my compressor stator has gone out. At $124.17 shipped it isn't cheap, from hondaautomotiveparts.com. Another option would be eBay. I can get an entire new compressor with clutch and stator and all for less than $200 shipped. So I am trying to weight my options. The factory manual shows the compressor removed to replace the stator. If I have to remove the compressor to replace the stator why not just an entire new compressor. Also with the miles if the clutch needs to be replaced that is another $100+. So what do you guys think? A reputable local A/C shop said the stator going out is a common problem on Honda's, but I cannot find evidence of this.

Also curious if the aftermarket compressor's stator can be used in the Honda factory compressor.

Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Go Bills!

what is stator?

"A Wise Man can see more from the bottom of a well than a Fool can see from the top of a mountain."

Current Ride:
2003 Accord LX Sedan

Previous Rides:
2003 Civic EX Sedan
2002 Civic EX Coupe
post #3 of 13 Old 09-30-2009, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
04 4D 5MT Accord LX 152k

Quote:
Originally Posted by _karu_ View Post
what is stator?
#12, its the electromagnetic device that "engages" the compressor clutch.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Go Bills!

Interesting. I might have the same problem.

What makes you think that your compressor stator is not working anymore?

"A Wise Man can see more from the bottom of a well than a Fool can see from the top of a mountain."

Current Ride:
2003 Accord LX Sedan

Previous Rides:
2003 Civic EX Sedan
2002 Civic EX Coupe
post #5 of 13 Old 09-30-2009, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
04 4D 5MT Accord LX 152k

Quote:
Originally Posted by _karu_ View Post
Interesting. I might have the same problem.

What makes you think that your compressor stator is not working anymore?
I have factory repair manual and it has very detailed troubleshooting flow charts and this is where it ended. A short/open through the stator. Before it went totally out it would work for 5 to 15 minutes then it would go out longer and longer until no more.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Get a new or rebuild unit with warranty, you don't want to have to go through the evacuating and charging process/expense again should some portion of the rest of the compressor fails shortly after you've changed out just the stator......

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
04 4D 5MT Accord LX 152k

I was going to see if the stator could be replaced while on the car. It cannot be done from the top but I am going to go under and see if it is accessible. If the aftermarket compressor's stator is interchangeable with the factory one I can switch them and still have the compressor and clutch if anything else was ever to fail. I would like to avoid removing the compressor and paying to evacuate and refill the system. If I do remove the compressor I might as well replace the dryer and expansion valve.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 08:34 AM
3rd Gear

I had a similar problem - open circuit on the AC clutch, when previously the AC was working. First, it was *hard* to get the clutch(stator) off the compressor shaft - took 2 hours (I was trying to leave the hoses connected so I didn't have to evac the system.) After I got it off, I realized the compressor was seized, so I ended up buying a new unit. Anyway, your compressor may be good, but may be going in the future - your call, but I agree with Aviography.

If you decide to buy, from what I read said *NEW* is preferred to *rebuilt* because it is only a few bucks more and is not worn internals. I got mine at discountcompressor.com. Not OEM, but looks identical. Their kit includes the dryer, oil, expansion valve. Unfortunately, since I open the system, I had to pay to get it leak tested, evacuated and recharged.

'05 v6 coupe 6MT
post #9 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 08:41 AM
3rd Gear

I could not get it from the bottom (at least on the V6. ) Sub frame is in the way.
I was able to remove the passenger side elec fan, the alternator(leave connected), the AC hose fasteners, and unbolt the ac and pull it up (helps if you have another set of hands.)

'05 v6 coupe 6MT
post #10 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra94563 View Post
I could not get it from the bottom (at least on the V6. ) Sub frame is in the way.
I was able to remove the passenger side elec fan, the alternator(leave connected), the AC hose fasteners, and unbolt the ac and pull it up (helps if you have another set of hands.)
Jesus, I hope this never happens to me!

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

post #11 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 03:55 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra94563 View Post
Sub frame seems to be in the way of a lot of things on these cars...
A/C... FSB... Transmission...

2006 Accord V6 6spd MT Carbon Bronze/Black
62k miles total - 25k in 1y1m (New transmission 50k courtesy of Honda)

• EBC 3GD Sport Rotors (Slotted/Dimpled)[Front]
  • Akebono Street Performance Pads[Front]
  • AEM V2
  • 55% Font/5% Rear Tint
  • Interior+License Plate White LEDs
  • DDM 5k HID Lows/HIR Highs
  • Hella Micro DE fogs(OEM garnish) w/ Raptor 3k HID
  • USA-Spec PA15-HON2 iPod/AUX Input
  • Scangauge II
  • TL Switchblade Key
To install: TL-S Sway Bars; Comp-tech SS
post #12 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 04:19 PM

If you decide to replace the entire compressor, don't go with rebuilt, ever.

You can get new compressors from places at prices that are less than reman.

BTDT, and it's not pretty when the reman compressor blows up and then requires total system replacement. Very similar to what happens when a CRV lunches a compressor.

If your's was quiet and worked well, I'd put a clutch assembly on it. (all parts including coil)

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #13 of 13 Old 10-01-2009, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
04 4D 5MT Accord LX 152k

Local reputable shop said also said remans were garbage.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.