Leather steering wheel cover - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-16-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Leather steering wheel cover

So I went on a mini shopping spree at HandAAccessories.com and got all kinds of stuff- a trunk tray, engine air filter, AC air filter, wiper blades, etc. I also ordered the genuine Honda leather steering wheel cover.

I got my stuff today, and everything looked great, until I got to the steering wheel cover, in a beat up box:

Hmm... when was the last time Honda used this lettering?!:

And then take a look at this on the back bottom:

1986 ?!?!?

And there was NO thread/needle in the box even though their description online said it included it! Grrr....

So one interesting observation from this is that the Honda Accord steering wheel size and diameter and grip diameter has been the same since 1986?!?!?!

Or I have a feeling that the red label was not originally on there in 1986 ... and they stuck it on later, and it might not even be that part # (cause that part # references a part made for 2003- 2007)!

2007 Honda Accord Coupe LX V6 AT
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Forum Insomniac

A blast from the past?

2003 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT, Satin Silver Metallic
Infinity speakers with 3 Treo 10" subwoofers
post #3 of 16 Old 09-16-2009, 09:05 PM
4th Gear

Wow! You sir have a piece of Honda history. Cherish it!

And get the Handa-Accessories.com to give you a new one. I'm kind of surprised that you got a bad part from them. I've placed a couple orders with them in the past and all went very well.

Maybe it just got mislabeled and pulled by a stock boy who didn't know any better.

7.5 Gen 2006 Accord Coupe EX 4cyl Manual

17mm rear sway bar
EBC Red Stuff Brakes
EBC Rotors
Yokohama AVID TRZ
Mobil 1 Synthetic and Filter
Infinity Reference

post #4 of 16 Old 09-19-2009, 06:12 PM
1st Gear

I bought the same leather cover from handa, but I can't remember what the box looked like. It did come with needle and thread though. When you put it on, make sure you clean your steering wheel really well and also clean the underside of the leather cover. I cleaned the wheel but forgot to clean the underside of the leather cover, so I have a few tiny bumps from debris under there, and it's a biatch to undo the threads. Also, make sure you pull the thread very very tight. It looks really good after it is on and wiped with a sheet of Meguiar's leather cleaner/conditioner wipe. Is yours an auto or manual? I have an auto so I also bought the leather shifter. They look great together.
Attached Images

2004 Coupe EX I4 Auto Graphite Pearl
post #5 of 16 Old 09-19-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Cool, it looks great on yours!

Was it very hard to initially put it onto the steering wheel? Cause I'm finding it's a very tight fit!

Mine is an automatic ... I have a 07, so it's a different shifter... didn't see a leather add on for it...

2007 Honda Accord Coupe LX V6 AT
post #6 of 16 Old 09-20-2009, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

Thx. It's a very tight fit initially. But once it's all stitched up, it's a perfect fit, as you can see from my pic.

2004 Coupe EX I4 Auto Graphite Pearl
post #7 of 16 Old 09-28-2010, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

Why don't they sell leather steering wheel covers that fit on the entire steering wheel ?? The stock steering wheel cover is what i want. Not this wrap that is a circle. If you look in the picture under the cover of the 2 side supports at the holey section, that is the oem leather steering wheel cover. There are stitches on the back of the steering wheel that prove so. I would want that.

Anyone else get what i am saying??

I took a few pics of my oem steering wheel cover that i want to replace with an identical one. As you can see, it has stitching all the way around it.

Here, you can see the cover pealing up. This is the main reason why i wanted to buy another.

The oem cover seems to wrap all the way around the wheel and cover all the way to the controls.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-28-2010, 09:33 PM
2006 I4 MT

78501-SDP-C51ZA
I think that is the part you needed. And I think its the entire wheel itself $65ish.

2006 Accord LX Coupe I4 MT
post #9 of 16 Old 09-28-2010, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006accord4 View Post
78501-SDP-C51ZA
I think that is the part you needed. And I think its the entire wheel itself $65ish.
Thanks a lot man.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-29-2010, 06:32 AM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to nodrog321
wow haha. at least the leather isnt cracking.

btw, is there any problem putting one of these on, on a sedan? since the sedan is a 4 spoke steering wheel? and does it add any bulk? as my leg is like right next to it already lol.

2007 Honda "Nikita" Accord I-4 LX Sedan
Graphite Pearl
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Soundgate aux integration
-Diode Dynamics stage 2 kit (license plate, front door lights)
-Aftermarket Inspire Fogs with 4300k HIDs
-TL Type S rims!
-OEM Decklid Spoiler
-Nokya Hyper Yellow DRL
-JL Audio TR690 rear speakers
-Polk DB 6501 front speakers
-K&N Short Ram Intake
-Acura TL RSB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-29-2010, 07:48 AM
1st Gear

^^Well the issue your going to run into is that the areas that go over the spokes will have holes in them no big deal. Also, at the bottom of the steering wheel, where our spoke is at the bottom, you will have no holes in the wrap to tighten the line. You will have to make your own holes to complete the wrap. I guess you could use this if you just make holes at the bottom.
post #12 of 16 Old 09-29-2010, 07:51 AM
1st Gear

hey if anyone wants the leather wrap that i have, i'll sell it to you for what i paid. The guy on ebay won't take the wrap back! So nodrog321, you could buy this from me if you want the wrap...
post #13 of 16 Old 09-29-2010, 08:20 AM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to nodrog321
im going to have to pass, just bought rims so im kinda broke right now. and im not even sure how to stitch it on haha.

2007 Honda "Nikita" Accord I-4 LX Sedan
Graphite Pearl
-

-Soundgate aux integration
-Diode Dynamics stage 2 kit (license plate, front door lights)
-Aftermarket Inspire Fogs with 4300k HIDs
-TL Type S rims!
-OEM Decklid Spoiler
-Nokya Hyper Yellow DRL
-JL Audio TR690 rear speakers
-Polk DB 6501 front speakers
-K&N Short Ram Intake
-Acura TL RSB

post #14 of 16 Old 09-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

I did this on a past Accord of mine ('93 Accord EX sedan). My insights...

- the tactile feel & grip is great after installed, interestingly it transforms the wheel & driving/cruising experience.

- the appearance is ok, not good or great because spokes aren't covered (looks like an after-thought add'on).

- installation will take at least 1 1/2 hour, closer to 2 or more; your fingers will be bruised, cut, pricked unless you're a proficient upholsterer or seamstress. If you're O.C.D. about stuff, you might have a freak-out w/ making things perfect!

- for the price of a brand-new OEM stock EX-L steering-wheel which comes leather-stitched, such a mod' on a newer or late-model vehicle isn't worth the price for the effort required, cost of the leather-kit and final appearance. If I had a "beater" w/ a worn steering-wheel, a need for a beefier steering-wheel (Auto-X, track, company/work delivery vehicle) then I'd do this type of cover.

... just my 2-pence!

For those seeking custom steering-wheel recovering w/ anything from leather-stitched covering, contrast-color stitching, perforations, Alcantara/ultra-suede, two-tone appearance, exotic materials, more padding, etc' - there is who do excellent work. They often have core steering-wheels for swap; if not, their turnaround time isn't that bad. Though, costs are generally $150 - $250, if not more.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-29-2010, 11:58 AM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

The leather steering wheel cover accessory is for steering wheels that are not already wrapped in leather. They are not designed to repair your damaged leather steering wheel. In that situation, the best option is to replace it with a new leather-wrapped steering wheel for your Accord EX-L or EX-V6 model. My steering wheel has held up great for 7 years.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.