V6 Transmission Whine - This could be why. - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-15-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

V6 Transmission Whine - This could be why.

While browsing the net I found a thread someone posted on carcomplaints.com. It relates to Automatic transmission whine and what he's been told was the cause of this.

"Often there is a high pitched whine or whistle when I take my foot off the gas pedal (esp. at high speeds). I was told by a trusted transmission expert, the manager of a Honda dealership, and a car technician (all of whom test drove the car) that the problem was harmless and typical and no matter how bad the noise may get, the transmission will never have any problems. And I have to say that the tranny is very, very smooth. They also said that if I had the transmission replaced I could have the same noise or perhaps a different one, not to mention other problems. They explained to me that the noise occurs on deceleration because it has to do with the back side of the electronically controlled clutch gears (as opposed to the front side). I do not think that I will get the tranny replaced because I am getting used to the intermittent sound and it is usually not that bad. Also, I do not want to pay upwards of $3,500 for a rebuilt tranny that might have the same problem or perhaps more problems than the current one."

My transmission also has the whine he's describing yet is very smooth (except when cold).

Can anyone confirm the theory from that post?

Does everyone's Honda V6 Auto trans whine?

Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Mike

I have looked into this transmission noise a number of times. Some users will state that they have no whine or other noise at all AND it depends on your definition of any noise that you hear. This is why you are going to get a few different responses to your question.

I will start by describing the noise(s) I hear. One is a very high pitched noise, quite subtle most of the time and almost sounds like fluid being forced through an opening under high pressure. This noise wavers in pitch and comes and goes mostly under very light or closed throttle coasting. There is a second faint whine which I think is what you are referring to, it matches road speed and is from the Diff. These noises are NOT caused (in my case) by wheel bearings, power steering, alternator, tires, aircon, intake manifold, exhaust, airflow or from a blocked/restricted transmission filter.

When the 7th Gen was released in England, the motoring writers complained of a faint high pitched whine, the response from Honda was that this was normal and caused by the way the gear sets were cut. They did not elaborate about which gears in the document. Honda also state that this transmission will make some noise because of its location and it can be transferred into the cabin by the wiring harnesses and hoses that run from the firewall to the motor/transmission. This may explain why some people hear nothing. If I have the radio on, even quietly or the fan set to position 2 or above then it is almost inaudible. Anyone talking in the car, noisy roads or traffic next to me will mask the noise. A sports exhaust would also mask it.

I hope this helps you quest in some way. Good luck on finding the definitive answer

04 - V6 Auto Luxury Accord (Thail build).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Itís easy to be NASTY - Sometimes it takes a little more effort to be NICE.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-15-2009, 08:09 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I have an 03 V6 sedan, and I have never heard any whine at all. The drivetrain is virtually silent (68k miles).

post #4 of 8 Old 09-16-2009, 05:23 AM
4th Gear

I notice the whine (high pitch noise) at about 38-40 mph when foot off the pedal (if you give a bit of gas, the whine is gone)
I heard it has something to do with the Z1 ATF... (some people say the whining stop after putting redline ATF)

07' J30A5 Auto 4Dr, 20mm TL-S rear sway bar, Neuspeed front tower bar, Debadged "SE"
post #5 of 8 Old 09-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleankill View Post
I notice the whine (high pitch noise) at about 38-40 mph when foot off the pedal (if you give a bit of gas, the whine is gone)
I heard it has something to do with the Z1 ATF... (some people say the whining stop after putting redline ATF)
That could be true. The org post from crankit and my feelings about fluid flow noise would/could change with fluid properties. Interesting, as I will be changing over to Redline D4 in the future and will look forward to detecting any change in sound.

BTW. The whistle/whine sound you also describe is exactly what a lot of people across numerous forums have asked about and is apparent only under light or closed throttle and at around that speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 Old 09-16-2009, 05:13 PM

The whine, when it's present, is from the differential. Or more specifically the drive gear to the "ring" gear that drives the differential. If there is any play in the carrier bearings, it can move side to side slightly. Even .001" is enough to cause issues.

On normal acceleration and loaded driving, only one side of the gears are in full mesh. When you coast or decelerate, the load it placed on the opposite side of the teeth.

If there are any issues in tooth mesh (backlash, which is the play between the gears) too tight, too loose or loaded on one side or the other, you get noise. I hear this noise VERY frequently in Civic autos AND manuals with higher mileage.

Redline D4 or D6, can possibly reduce this noise as it's a GL4 gear oil rated fluid. It can "cushion" the gear to gear contact way better than Z1.

If you've ever heard a conventional rear drive diff with tooth contact issues with the ring and pinion gears, you'll never forget it. Usually at 45-50 under constant throttle they will "scream", release the throttle and it's silent. Back on the gas and the scream returns. If there is play in the pinion bearings or diff carrier bearings, they yowl on deceleration.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #7 of 8 Old 09-16-2009, 05:26 PM
4th Gear

Mine also has that whine but I tend to listen to closely for trouble so I stopped listening and examining evry little thing that I hear and now I feel better.

2007 Accord V6 Coupe A/T with Honda chrome HFP 18" wheels and low profile Yokahama tires, drop in K&N filter, Mobil 1, K&N oil filter and 30% tint.

2006 Honda EX-P 4WD A/T Element Tangerine Metallic with black interior 44,000 miles Honda certified one owner vehicle
post #8 of 8 Old 09-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07graphiteV6cpe View Post
Mine also has that whine but I tend to listen to closely for trouble so I stopped listening and examining evry little thing that I hear and now I feel better.
I agree, if you weren’t listening for it you wouldn’t notice it.

I haven’t worried about the very faint high pitched wine from the diff. I have driven a lot of rear wheel cars and a most of them were way nosier in the diff than the faint sound I hear, especially considering that the diff is so close to the driver in a FWD car and this car is pretty quite inside. The fluid whistle sound is interesting though, if you have ever worked around a lot of refrigeration systems you would know this noise when you hear it. It’s very, very faint though.

Like I said earlier, I’m looking forward to changing to D4.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.