4cyl oil dip stick length measurment - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

4cyl oil dip stick length measurment

Could Someone please measure their 4cyl oil dip stick? I would really appreciate that. From the tip to the bottom of the orange handle. I did my oil change today and it took 5.0 qts w/filter. Ran it for a few minutes, let it set for a few minutes and then checked it. right at the Full hole. I think the book said 4.4qts w/filter. Used a Napa gold Filter, which is the same size as the OEM Honeywell Honda filter that came off. I did let it drain for a long long time. It just kept draining and dripping. Probly say 15-20 minute drain time.

2007 EX-L Sedan, 2.4L, 5spd Manual, USA-Spec Ipod Interface, OEM Auto dimming compass Rear view mirror, OEM Fog Light kit, Goodyear Fuel Max tires , Magnetic Drain plugs in Trans & Engine. 36.55 MPG Best tank so far (336mi/9.193gal). M1 & P1 filter.
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-23-2009, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Now the thing is overfilled. I've never had issues like this before. Drove it about 50 miles today after the oil change and let it sit for about 10 minutes after I pulled it in the garage (same spot where I changed my oil, level 2 car garage) and it's up past the full hole... up to the twisty part. dang it. Can't win with this cars oil level. Starting to think the oil passages are cruded up and oil has a hard time flowing back down to the pan. jeez. so I'm probably 1/3 of a qt overfilled.

2007 EX-L Sedan, 2.4L, 5spd Manual, USA-Spec Ipod Interface, OEM Auto dimming compass Rear view mirror, OEM Fog Light kit, Goodyear Fuel Max tires , Magnetic Drain plugs in Trans & Engine. 36.55 MPG Best tank so far (336mi/9.193gal). M1 & P1 filter.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-23-2009, 05:56 PM
VTAKKKK

Send a message via AIM to CYANiDE
4.4qts is what you're supposed to use. You said you used more. Buy a bottle. Drain it bit by bit and if you overdrain, just put in some SLOWLY, measuring each time allowing a minute for the oil you poured to go down. Shouldn't go wrong with that.

2006 Accord EX i4 Sedan - 5AT - Graphite Pearl - [89,0xx miles]
FF Type II Coilovers || Skunk2 Front Camber Arms || Ingalls Rear Camber Kit || Acura TL-S 27mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars || K&N SRI

post #4 of 18 Old 08-23-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

so I'm .5-.6qts overfilled.

post #5 of 18 Old 08-23-2009, 06:47 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
Could Someone please measure their 4cyl oil dip stick? I would really appreciate that. From the tip to the bottom of the orange handle. I did my oil change today and it took 5.0 qts w/filter. Ran it for a few minutes, let it set for a few minutes and then checked it. right at the Full hole. I think the book said 4.4qts w/filter. Used a Napa gold Filter, which is the same size as the OEM Honeywell Honda filter that came off. I did let it drain for a long long time. It just kept draining and dripping. Probly say 15-20 minute drain time.
I think the problem might be the "full hole" concept.

There really isn't a "full hole" per se. More accurately, there is an upper mark and a lower mark and you should be filling it so the oil level is between the upper and lower marks/holes.

This is per the owners manual:

Follow the manual and you should be fine.

Additionally, the best way to check the level is it is also per the manual, number 9 in the link:

Let the engine run for several minutes, then
Quote:
9. Turn off the engine, let it sit for
several minutes, then check the oil
level on the dipstick. If necessary,
add more oil.

7.5 Gen 2006 Accord Coupe EX 4cyl Manual

17mm rear sway bar
EBC Red Stuff Brakes
EBC Rotors
Yokohama AVID TRZ
Mobil 1 Synthetic and Filter
Infinity Reference
post #6 of 18 Old 08-23-2009, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

I'll drain some out tomorrow after work. Is there a reason why it takes 10+ minutes for the oil to drain into the pan? My rule of thumb has always been 2-3 minutes after shut down you're good. That was on Yoters, Chevys etc. Never had a honda before.... is something I'm missing? Especially with 5-20, should drain back pretty fast you'd think.

post #7 of 18 Old 08-23-2009, 07:06 PM
4th Gear

Are you removing the oil fill cap first?

Number 2.

Generally speaking, it takes about 2-5 minutes for the steady flow to stop and a steady drip to start.

After I've removed the filter, I usually walk away and do something else for about 10-15 minutes and let it drip out as much as possible.

If it is taking an extraordinary amount of time on your vehicle, you might call up the local Honda dealer and ask their service department about it. And if you're really worried about it, you could take it in and have them look at it.

But I'd wait to hear other people's oil draining experience before you worry too much.

7.5 Gen 2006 Accord Coupe EX 4cyl Manual

17mm rear sway bar
EBC Red Stuff Brakes
EBC Rotors
Yokohama AVID TRZ
Mobil 1 Synthetic and Filter
Infinity Reference
post #8 of 18 Old 08-24-2009, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

I ment for oil to drain back into the oil pan to be checked. When I changed it I didn't have issues. I guess I'm just getting used to this car's quirks. I"m more worried about how I"m going to get 1/2 Qt out of the engine. I've never overfilled a car before. I guess some cars are a bit more fussy with the dip stick or something.

post #9 of 18 Old 08-24-2009, 08:59 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
I ment for oil to drain back into the oil pan to be checked. When I changed it I didn't have issues. I guess I'm just getting used to this car's quirks.
Remember, that depending on the weather (cold vs. hot) the oil might take longer to reach the pan when colder for example.

I agree it is a pain to top off these cars but I have found that time is your friend. I add some oil (between changes) a little at a time. Wait a while (go do something else) and check again later.

Like the other poster said, just keep it between the holes and don't focus on reaching the top hole. I have found that works best also.

03 Accord LX I4 5spd, 265k miles.
with 19 HFP Wheels and Eibach pro spring kit (second set as the first set of rear springs rusted apart).
Previous car: 98 Civic EX 5sp. with 155K, RIP
post #10 of 18 Old 08-24-2009, 09:28 AM
All VTEC. All the time.

Has anyone tried one of these drain valves before? Seems like it would be great to be able to let out a little bit of oil in case of an accidental overfill...

'16 Accord Sport CVT i4 Lunar Silver Metallic 1K mi
> debadged / oem splash guard kit & cargo tray
'00 Odyssey EX Granite Green Metallic 154K mi
> debadged / oem splash guard kit & cargo tray

Gone, but not forgotten...
'07 Accord SE Alabaster Silver Metallic / traded in at 119K mi
'87 Civic Sedan Paisley Red Metallic / totaled at around 60K mi
'72 Civic Platinum Silver Metallic rusted to oblivion at around 60K mi
post #11 of 18 Old 08-24-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

That is a very popular valve in the 4x4 Toyota world. I personally never ran one, but many did on the forum. I run Magnetic drain plugs. Just ordered a 2nd one for the Manual trans drain plug. (didn't know the engine oil drain and trans drain were the same size plug). I'll just be very careful and drain it from the plug into a clean container. If I drop the drain plug I'm SOL. lol.

post #12 of 18 Old 08-24-2009, 09:34 AM

They have been talked about before on here and . I've only heard good things about them.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-24-2009, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Looks like I should check the oil level after sitting over night, or after having it warmed up and sit for about 15 minutes. Seems to be the only 2 situations that I can get a accurate reading over and over.

post #14 of 18 Old 08-24-2009, 10:03 AM

Wait at least 2-3 hrs plus after car has been shut off to get an accurate reading.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-24-2009, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

dang. oil we'll just start doing that lol.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.