Hand Brake Light Doesn't Turn Off - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-18-2009, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
03' Honda Accord EX Sedan

Hand Brake Light Doesn't Turn Off

First of all I have a 03' Accord EX Sedan. I have searched the forum but I couln't find my answer so I decided to post a new thread and my first.

Anyways, my hand brake light on the dash board came on randomly about a week ago. I read and found that it could be something with my braking system but I checked the brake pads and they seem good. Plus the brakes don't make any squeaky noise at all. Then I checked the brake fluid and it wasn't low and it was on max. I read and it could be a Styrofoam stuck in the brake fluid reservoir. I tried and read a lot but still haven't found whats the problem.

Almost forgot but when I disconnect the brake fluid connection the brake light goes off and the hand brake works perfectly. So, it can't be the connection under the hand brake because the light turns on and off when I raise and lower the hand brake.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 AM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
could it be a loose cable??? not sure with the newer ones....

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 20xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
post #3 of 14 Old 08-18-2009, 10:48 AM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

Maybe it is a vacuum issue and the brake fluid is not moving through the system?

post #4 of 14 Old 08-18-2009, 11:01 AM
06 accord V6 LX

Send a message via AIM to nyhunter Send a message via Yahoo to nyhunter
you also might wanna check the brakes i Know on older vehicles if the brakes are worn use the same light has of the parking break symbol

Good luck

2006 Accord V6.
LX 4 door.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-18-2009, 11:15 AM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
the OP said that the brakes were fine...

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 20xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
post #6 of 14 Old 08-18-2009, 11:33 AM
7th Gear

Isn't there a plunger switch thigamajig where the hand brake is? Maybe the plunger is getting stuck?

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #7 of 14 Old 08-18-2009, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

I checked the brakes and there good..where is the plunger ? I was thinking there could be something blocking the brake fluid from moving...im just going to take it to a mechanic tomorrow to see what it is.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-19-2009, 05:35 AM
6th Gear

Remove the pieces of trim over the shifter and the e-brake (there are some write-ups for an ipod adapter that show how). There should be a small switch next to the emergency brake lever, make sure it's engaging and disengaging properly.

Also, low brake fluid will set off the light; make sure the brake fluid is up to a proper level.

-03 Honda Accord EX V6
-Debadged-17mm sway bar-UR crank pulley-AEM CAI
post #9 of 14 Old 08-19-2009, 01:43 PM
5th Gear

I am still looking back but, I remember reading somewhere that some of the early 7th gens had problems with the contacts on the float on the cover for the master cylinder, which would cause the dummy light to come on even if the fluid was at the right level.

2007 EX-L
2016 Tundra SR5 DC
2017 EX-L V6
post #10 of 14 Old 09-11-2009, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

yea it had to do something with the brake fluid container, like the float was stuck or something. At least it was still under warranty and got a new brake fluid container installed for free. That solved the weird problem.
Thanks for the help guys.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-14-2009, 09:18 AM
<error: divide by zero>

Usually this is an indicator that the fluid level is low in the brake master cylinder.

Mike M

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wheels,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(temp and Maplights),
post #12 of 14 Old 04-03-2015, 09:21 AM
1st Gear

Hand brake (emergency brake) light, on dash.

Honda Accord 1998-2002. The dash brake warning light is turned on by, either the hand brake "up" position, or the master cylinder fluid level float switch (when brake fluid level is low).
To determine if brake fluid level float switch is turning the warning light on, disconnect the two wires from the brake master cylinder cap. They just unplug in the black rubber areas.
With the ignition switch on, if the master cylinder was turning the warning light on, it will now be off. If not, the hand brake switch is turning the brake warning light on. The hand brake switch may need adjustment, or replacement.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-03-2015, 12:21 PM
1st Gear

Part 2 of Hand brake (emergency brake) light stays on dash.

This is a change to the above post: Hand brake (emergency brake) light on dash. For: 1998 - 2002 Honda Accord.
The hand brake "release switch" IS in the center console, next to the base of the hand brake. A tang on the hand brake handle contacts the switch plunger, and pushes it down, when the hand brake handle is released. The plunger pushes a switch, which turns the dash brake light OFF, if the switch is working properly. Make sure that the handle tang pushes the switch plunger down. If the dash brake light is still on, disconnect the one wire connected to the lever switch. If the dash brake light THEN goes out, the "release lever switch" is probably bad. Or, it's possible there is another electrical problem.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-03-2015, 01:37 PM
mobiless2

Quote:
Originally Posted by partly mech View Post
Honda Accord 1998-2002. The dash brake warning light is turned on by, either the hand brake "up" position, or the master cylinder fluid level float switch (when brake fluid level is low).
To determine if brake fluid level float switch is turning the warning light on, disconnect the two wires from the brake master cylinder cap. They just unplug in the black rubber areas.
With the ignition switch on, if the master cylinder was turning the warning light on, it will now be off. If not, the hand brake switch is turning the brake warning light on. The hand brake switch may need adjustment, or replacement.
You know this post is from 2009?

2009 ASM EX I-4 Auto 4DR: Weapon-R I Throttle/TL FSB RSB/Morimoto H1/Fogs/K40/Viper 5704/exLED 146K

2015 HM SPORT I-4 CVT 4DR: TL RSB, exLED, OEM Tweeters-LED Mirrors-LED Tail Lights, Coutesy Lights, Ambient Light Kit, 4G TL Retrofit w/TSX-R Lens, RV6 PCD, Bridgestone Potenza S-04 36K

2016 ABP Civic EX-T CVT 4DR
exLED
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.