Driver's Side Water Leak - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-29-2009, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Question Driver's Side Water Leak

Hey Guys, i have a rather wet situation. I have a leak on my drivers side, the front floor board is soaking wet, and the back seat floor board is damp.. Up the sides of the carpet is dry (near the center console, and drivers side door). It is really wet right under the pedals, but gets dry fast the closer you get to the firewall.
I have checked the plastic behind the door panel, the sunroof drains, and the fresh air vent, i have went over and over them with a water hose and cant make it leak. I have even checked the a/c drain and it is working fine.. Its on the pass side, but i am pulling at anything now to figure this out..
Today it drizzled rain all day, and now my carpets are soaked again!!! Any ideas on what i could be missing here?
Local Honda shop here charges 200 Dollars just to diagnose it. I cant really afford that, so i am trying to figure this one out my self

Thanks
Matt

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-30-2009, 08:41 AM
3rd Gear

Have you checked inside the driver's side wheel well? Anything loose or missing there? Any wet spots around the kick panels or by the grommets in the firewall?

04 Accord EX V6 Coupe
post #3 of 9 Old 07-30-2009, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by king4477 View Post
Have you checked inside the driver's side wheel well? Anything loose or missing there? Any wet spots around the kick panels or by the grommets in the firewall?
Its wet around that area.. I have been debating pulling the inner fender lining down, around the wheel, is there any wires, or openings up in there that could let water get into the cab? Kick panels are dry, oddly enough.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-30-2009, 03:39 PM
2007 SE Sedan

I had a leak from my air conditioning in my old 95 Accord (a pipe or something I think) and whenever I would go around a turn, water would come pouring out from behind my glovebox and onto the floorboard on the passengers side. This could be something similar?

2007 Honda Accord SE i4 Moroccan Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6000K HIDs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LED Switchbacks

Stage 2 LED Conversion

Nokya Hyper Yellow DRLs
post #5 of 9 Old 07-30-2009, 04:20 PM

Pull the left door panel, carefully look at the plastic barrier. If there's even the smallest gap in the sealer, it'll dump water directly on the left rear floor, which will then travel up the car as you drive.

This is very, very common on the 4 doors.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #6 of 9 Old 07-31-2009, 06:53 AM
3rd Gear

You might try pulling the plastic guard piece from under the door and the kick panel to see if it's dripping under the carpet that way. Like mentioned above, it's probably from water sloshing around in the door and leaking into the cabin.

If all else fails, have you ever pulled apart your dash and poked around in there before? It's really not that compicated.

04 Accord EX V6 Coupe
post #7 of 9 Old 07-31-2009, 08:00 AM
goodfella

take weedwacker line and snake that through the drain holes for the moon roof.. i had the same problem and that fixed it..

Satin Silver
05 accord coupe ex-l I2.4
k&n drop in filter
o-nex 6k hid's
pioneer highs
alpine typex 12inch sub...
900watt rockford amp
19inch vsr wheels...
pirelli zero nero z rated tires
post #8 of 9 Old 08-03-2009, 02:24 AM
1st Gear

Send a message via AIM to omegae
I had this problem last year and it took me two weeks to find the problem myself and another week of cleaning my carpets and drying the foam that sits under it. Not sure if this may be the issue for you but this is what I did to fix it:

1) completely take out your driver seat. you're going to need to anyway if you want to clean your carpets and dry everything well and it will give you room to move around.

2) remove the panels (front and back) that cover the edge of the carpets and lift your carpet up. shove a towel in there and try to dry as much as you can. I completely separated the foam and the carpet by ripping it apart. Not sure if you wanna do that but I got to dry it better this way and no one is going to see it anyways once you put it all back. make sure your carpet remains up. I just folded the whole thing over onto the passenger side.

3) remove the bottom panels below your steering wheel and and the panel that covers your fuse box. there's going to be some black foam/rubber pieces that are stuck to the firewall and protecting all those wires up there, take that out too making sure not to get dirt or other stuff on the sticky side.

4) you're now going to diagnose exactly what (or where) is causing the leak. you need a garden hose, a flashlight, a few more towels, and a friend to help you out.

4) have your friend with the hose shoot water in these areas while you are inside the car looking for water coming in: directly into the driver side windshield drain located below the windshield (the small little hole in the rubber piece); your sunroof; your driver side front door; rear door; and trunk. don't hose down the car like a car wash but in these individual locations.

5) you're looking for water to start flooding the floor. once you see where the water is coming from, take note of where your friend is with the hose and stop shooting water. you now at least figured out where you leak is.

MY PROBLEM came from the windshield drain. I sprayed water down the windshield and noticed water coming down from behind my fuse box. It didn't touch the fuse box (thank god) but flowed dangerously close behind it. with the flashlight i managed to squeeze my head up into the dash to have a look and i asked my friend to shoot more water.

come to find out, there are two or three grommets that separate the inside and the drain itself. one of the grommets was kind of warped and did not seal the hole well. I removed the grommet and got some silicone sealant and applied a generous amount and resealed the hole (don't put too much or else you may clog the drain). since i was there, i decided to apply silicone on the other two grommets as well just in case. an hour later i sprayed water into the drain from the windshield again and PRESTO! NO WATER INSIDE THE CAR!

Please note though that it was very, very uncomfortable to work laying on my back trying to work in such a cramped space. one of the problems you may have is the break pedal getting in the way. I had to press on the break with the back of my shoulder to get into a good position so that I could have both hands free. I was in that position for so long that i bruised my shoulder for a week. small price to pay but it saved me a few hundred (or even a thousand) bucks from having the dealer confirm that "yes you have a leak" and not do anything about it. Let me know if you have any questions. Sorry for the novel.

2004 Accord LX
completely stock & only 21,000 miles
post #9 of 9 Old 09-22-2016, 01:38 PM
My First Post

Well the weed wacker though the sunroof drain worked for me. i snaked it through and it came out in the cabin. the hose disconnect under the dash because it was old i guess. i clamped it up and it should be fine now. thanks.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.