Drew's quest for the toughest motor oil... or something like that :) - Page 12 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
49Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #166 of 173 Old 09-05-2017, 01:36 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Well, I do drive the piss out of my cars, so I do want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

The only concern I have with 5W-20 I have is the fact that it's less stable at higher heat. Not an issue for Accords, but spinning doritos run extra hot. Just wanna make sure the 5W-20 doesn't get out of grade by the heat.

Here is something I want Americans to confirm: can you still find Castrol GTX conventional 5W-20? Rn I have 2 bottles of Castrol GTX conventional 5W-20 sitting in my garage, but now Canadian Tire only has these new Castrol semi-synthetic 5W-20, which I am hesitant to use.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.
Well, your Castrol GTX conventional may be a semi-syn. as for sometime it wasn't labeled as such. They found it cheaper to use some syn. instead of using a additional add pack in their coventional oil. Why are you hesitant to use a semi-syn. ? Today for my oil change, put in 1qt. QSUD with 3.5qts. of Shell formula conventional to make my own semi-syn.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 507K - 2017 EX automatic
Advertisement

post #167 of 173 Old 11-05-2017, 01:10 PM
Roll Tide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew03Accord View Post
And looking at the zinc and phosphorus levels is completely worthless, because as you will see below, those levels DO NOT predict an oil’s wear protection capability"
There is a reason those of us with older cars running flat tappet cams don't buy into the kool-aid guys like this are selling. Joe Gibbs Driven at $7.99/qt from Summit Racing FTW!

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #168 of 173 Old 11-05-2017, 02:01 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KW2004Accord View Post
Well, your Castrol GTX conventional may be a semi-syn. as for sometime it wasn't labeled as such. They found it cheaper to use some syn. instead of using a additional add pack in their coventional oil. Why are you hesitant to use a semi-syn. ? Today for my oil change, put in 1qt. QSUD with 3.5qts. of Shell formula conventional to make my own semi-syn.
The Canadian Tire guys told me they are the same. For me, I guess I will just whatever is cheap and reputable.

For an Accord, yes, synthetic is great. I used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for my Accord. I didn't drive it as hard as the RX-8, it doesn't burn a noticeable amount of oil, and each oil change can get about 90% of the old oil out.

I change my RX-8's oil fairly frequently because it gets driven hard(it gets redlined a lot), it intentionally injects and burns oil, and each oil change only gets like half of the oil out(a good chunk is stuck in the 2 massive oil coolers in the front), so it's not a good idea for the oil to get too dirty before you change. In this case, conventional makes more sense because it's cheaper, and I don't really get to enjoy the benefit of synthetic anyway.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.
KW2004Accord likes this.

2008 Honda Accord Coup EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #169 of 173 Old 11-05-2017, 08:15 PM
Out of Control

My engine has been through the extreme cold and heat, no problems with PP
KW2004Accord likes this.

2005 EX-L Sedan, i4 + Automatic. over 185K and counting. runs like a clock.
V6 TL-S fsb/rsb
V6 battery upgrade
V6 strut bar
Weathertech floor liners
Tinted windows
New vtec gasket
New dipstick o-rings (thanks qman)
Penzoil Platinum 0W20
Fram ultra synthetic oil filter

Most meticulously maintained accord on this site

Quote:
An interference engine is one which interferes with your wallet if you don't keep a solid timing belt in it. -qman
post #170 of 173 Old 12-07-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Okay, guys. I've promised to update this thread when other oils score higher and here it is.

Looks like Amsoil Signature series is now top dog, with their 0W-20 and 5W-30 syns. Problem for me is... it's so damn expensive and you can't go buy it at Walmart, so I won't join that cult. I'll keep using QSUD 0W-20 till a readily available (and affordable) oil tops it. Anyway, pretty impressive scores on the pressure tests.

2.*0W20 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,840 psi

The bottle does not have an API symbol, but it claims the oil can be used in applications that require API SN, GM dexos 1, ACEA A1/B1. It also claims to provide 75% better wear protection than required by the API SN specification. And it claims 50% more cleaning power than Amsoil OE motor oil.
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD

This oil was tested Fall 2017. And it produced the highest psi value ever seen in my testing, from “ANY” motor oil just as it comes right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Very impressive. My test results confirm that Amsoil’s claim of this oil providing exceptional wear protection, is true. And this is further proof that you do NOT need heavy thick viscosity to provide such impressive wear protection.

As it stands in Fall 2017, Amsoil Signature Series synthetic motor oils, hold the top two positions in my Wear Protection Ranking List for oils just as they come, right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Motor oils have to be EXTREMELY GOOD to perform that well in my Engineering torture test on motor oil. Amsoil knows what they are doing, and they have set the bar to a new very high level.

3.*5W30 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,352 psi

The bottle does not have an API symbol, but it claims the oil can be used in applications that require API SN, GM dexos 1, ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1. It also claims to provide 75% better wear protection than required by the API SN specification (though it does say that claim is in reference to their 0W20 Amsoil Signature Series synthetic). And it claims 50% more cleaning power than Amsoil OE motor oil.
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD

This oil was tested Fall 2017.

The psi value of this oil, which came from testing it at the normal operating test temperature of 230*F, put it in the INCREDIBLE Wear Protection Category. And it produced the highest psi value ever seen in my testing, from any 5W30 motor oil just as it comes right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Very impressive. My test results confirm that Amsoil’s claim of this oil providing exceptional wear protection, is true. This oil could well be “THE MOTOR OIL OF CHOICE” for most High HP engines, including Bad Boy traditional American flat tappet pushrod engines, or for virtually any engine where 5W30 is used.
And I also went on to test this oil at the much higher temperature of 275*F. At that elevated temperature, any hotter and thinner oil is expected to experience a drop in Wear Protection Capability. This oil had only a modest 7% drop in capability. But, even at that elevated temperature, it produced an impressive 124,573 psi, which still kept this much hotter and thinner oil in the INCREDIBLE Wear Protection Category.

I also tested this oil to find out its onset of thermal breakdown, which was 295F.
As it stands in Fall 2017, Amsoil Signature Series synthetic motor oils, hold the top two positions in my Wear Protection Ranking List for oils just as they come, right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Motor oils have to be EXTREMELY GOOD to perform that well in my Engineering torture test on motor oil. Amsoil knows what they are doing, and they have set the bar to a new very high level

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
post #171 of 173 Old 12-07-2017, 01:11 PM
Out of Control

Still sticking with PP for the accord.

I did, however, put a $6.99 jug of harvest king 5w30 (syn blend API SN) into the crapilier. Runs good so far.

2005 EX-L Sedan, i4 + Automatic. over 185K and counting. runs like a clock.
V6 TL-S fsb/rsb
V6 battery upgrade
V6 strut bar
Weathertech floor liners
Tinted windows
New vtec gasket
New dipstick o-rings (thanks qman)
Penzoil Platinum 0W20
Fram ultra synthetic oil filter

Most meticulously maintained accord on this site

Quote:
An interference engine is one which interferes with your wallet if you don't keep a solid timing belt in it. -qman
post #172 of 173 Old 12-07-2017, 01:14 PM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
Been using the AmsOil for about 40+ years myself and my family. ALL my cars get AmsOil.

And that doesn't even go into Extended Oil Changes I've been running and expressing my opinions on for MANY years. (Not always on here, but if you look deep enough into my posts, you'll find my 1995 Accord story of 12 total oil changes when I sold it at ~295k)

2003 I4-AT LX Sedan (Girls car)
2003 V6-6MT HFP Coupe (Now the boys car)
2015 V6-6MT Coupe
post #173 of 173 Old 12-07-2017, 02:26 PM
6th Gear

Amsoil Sig. Series trans. fluid for the last 381K on my 04.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 507K - 2017 EX automatic
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.