Check Engine Light came on - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-24-2005, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Exclamation Check Engine Light came on

While driving my car on the highway at around 80mph, my check engine light came on. At first I thought maybe the car was getting too heated so I slowed down. Then I realized that I had bought gas earlier and figured the guy mustve not screwed the gas cap on right. Sure enough the bonehead didnt as it was not even on through on loop. I screwed it on but the light wouldnt go away. About 15 seconds after I did that the car started to hesitate once I reached ~2800 rpm. I put the car into neutral to see if this was the case with that and sure enough around 2800 rpm the revs dropped back to 1000. MY guess is that when I got the gas, that particular gas station (BP/Amoco) adds water to their gas or some other chemicals. Lately Ive been getting Sunoco or Shell gas and had decent mpg as well as better acceleration. Could the light be on and my car having this occurrence be due to the fact of the quality of the gas? HAs anyone here experienced this to their car? At first I thought it had something to do when I took the car for service the week before but then figured theres no way a Honda dealer is going to mess up the car after taking it to the same place for service for the past 2 years. The car is just under 19,000 miles and shouldnt have this problem. I havent had a problem with the car to date and this is the first issue Ive had. Should I ride out this gas I have in my car now and fill up with different gas or should the car be taken in to the dealer?

2003 Silver Metallic Accord LX sedan 4cyl.
2- Kicker C10's Sony Xplod amp.
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-24-2005, 03:03 PM
2nd Gear

Light

I would give the dealer a call and explain
the sequence of events. See what they think.
They may ask you to come in so they can put
the computer on the car to see what is happening.

05 EX-V6 WITH NAVI
post #3 of 13 Old 08-24-2005, 04:08 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Quote:
Could the light be on and my car having this occurrence be due to the fact of the quality of the gas?

Quote:
Should I ride out this gas I have in my car now and fill up with different gas or should the car be taken in to the dealer?
I'd use the rest of the tank & put different stuff in next time. If the problem is still there, take it in & see what codes the computer says. If it were just triggered by the gas cap, it should be a different code than "bad" gas. If it's too yucky to deal with, take it in.... explain your thoughts on the possibilites. (bad gas). If it's a station that's got a problem, they may be familar with it already. If you do find out it was bad gas, notify whoever your state requires. Report them so less others have to deal with the same problem!!

You can check readiness code status by watching
the MIL on the gauge assembly or using the PGM
Tester. If you donít want to hassle with the PGM
Tester, MIL watching is the way to go. Just turn the
ignition switch to ON (II) (but donít start the
engine), and keep your eyes on the MIL. If all
readiness codes are complete, the MIL comes on
for 20 seconds and then goes off. If one or more
codes are incomplete, the MIL comes on for
20 seconds and then blinks five times.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-24-2005, 04:33 PM
2nd Gear

I'm not sure how Hondas work, but my on my old '99 Volkswagen, even if the Check Engine light came on due to gas cap, it would not go off until the car had three consecutive cold starts without the fault. Perhaps its something similar, and it will go off soon?

-Tyler
2005 Accord EX-L

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Out of Control

Honda check engine lights are normally around 50 starts without fault.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-26-2005, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Arrow

Same tank of gas and the light went off along with the engine revving normally again. It was definitely the gas I bought because I used to buy that gas and then switched to Sunoco and Shell. No reason but convenience and did notice that my car performed better with the Sunco gas and Shell gas than the other gas I used to put in (BP/Amoco). First my car revved normally in the morning with the check engine light on then when I turned my car on again afterwards, the light went off and the car was back to normal, just feeling a bit sluggish I guess from the gas. I didnt put in any new gas or different gas, the same gas is in the tank and havent chenged it yet as Im not to the fuel light yet. Definitely never going to BP again. I think Sunoco and Shell gas uses less additives and doesnt put water in their gas as other stations do. What is/are the MIL light(s)?

2003 Silver Metallic Accord LX sedan 4cyl.
2- Kicker C10's Sony Xplod amp.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-26-2005, 03:54 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Acronym definitions
A/C Air Conditioning . . . . . . . .
A/F Air Fuel Ratio . . . . . . . .
A/T Automatic Transmission . . . . . . . .
ABS Anti-lock Brake System . . . . . . .
APP Accelerator Pedal Position . . . . . . .
CKP Crankshaft Position . . . . . . .
CMP Camshaft Position . . . . . . .
DLC Data Link Connector . . . . . . .
DRL Daytime Running Lights . . . . . . .
ECM Engine Control Module . . . . . . .
ECT Engine Coolant Temperature . . . . . . .
EGR Exhaust Gas Recirculation . . . . . . .
ELD Electrical Load Detector . . . . . . .
EVAP Evaporative Emission . . . . . .
FTP Fuel Tank Pressure . . . . . . .
HO2S Heated Oxygen Sensor . . . . . .
HVAC Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning . . . . .
IAC Idle Air Control . . . . . . . .
IAT Intake Air Temperature . . . . . . . .
ICM Ignition Control Module . . . . . . .
IMRC Intake Manifold Runner Control . . . . . .
M/T Manual Transmission . . . . . . . .
MAP Manifold Absolute Pressure . . . . . . .
MES Memory Erase Signal . . . . . . .
MICU Multiplex Integrated Control Unit . . . . . .
MIL Malfunction Indicator Lamp . . . . . . . . (or commonly known as "check engine light")
OPDS Occupant Position Detection System . . . . .
PCM Powertrain Control Module . . . . . . .
PGM-FI Programmed Fuel Injection . . . .
PSP Power Steering Pressure . . . . . . .
SRS Supplemental Restraint System . . . . . . .
SULEV Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle . . . .
TP Throttle Position . . . . . . . .
VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor . . . . . . .
VTC Variable Timing Control . . . . . . .
VTEC Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control . . . . . .
post #8 of 13 Old 10-31-2005, 03:46 PM
1st Gear

This may have been reported elsewhere but I cant find it. Does anyone have the MIL code list and I also need to find out how to do the PGM tester. Thanks
post #9 of 13 Old 10-31-2005, 03:59 PM
Out of Control

Forget the PGM tester, use the MIL!

post #10 of 13 Old 11-03-2005, 09:05 AM
1st Gear

Or just go to Autozone with the light on and they will read it for free and let you know what it is.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-05-2005, 11:34 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the site, found out it was the secondary o2 sensor. Just replaced it with a new bosch one yesterday morning. Simple cut and splice, took about 30 mins.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-15-2008, 02:35 PM
1st Gear

Sunoco gas

I have had a similar occurance twice in the past 6 months or so. I normally use exxon regular gas, but on 2 occasions within the past 6 months, I've used Sunoco gas beacause I was low and it was the only station on my way home from work. Both instances within a day or 2, the MIL light came on. The first time it happened I called my dealer to make an appointment and when I told them what the problem was, they told me to take the gas cap off and put it back on and make sure it clicked 3 times, and to drive the car for about 20 miles or so before bringing it in. Sure enough, this did the trick. The second time it happened was last week. A day or 2 after I stopped at same Sunoco station. Tried the gas cap trick again and this time it worked but came back on. I had to do a lot of driving, so I needed gas and filled up at Exxon again. MIL has not come back on since. At first, I thought maybe my gas cap was bad or something, but the only time I've had this problem in the 80,000 miles I've driven my '03 accord coupe, have been shortly after filling up at that Sunoco station. I was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences.

Edit:
OK, so scratch my theory on my car not liking the gas, my MIL light just came back on again. Appointment scheduled with dealer tomorrow morning.

Last edited by joedoyle3; 04-17-2008 at 11:02 AM. Reason: New addition
post #13 of 13 Old 04-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Inspire this!

OR you could buy a scangauge and have an obd 2 reader and code resetter as well as a tool you can use to save gas as well as many other things...

I LOVE mine...

PADENJ CM Squad #10
Fujita Intake, TSX IM, Hondata IM Gasket, P2R Gasket, Ingalls TD, 08' I4-C Wheels, Ralco Pulleys, DC Header. Custom 2.5" Apexi'i WS2 exhaust. Trans cooler, oil catch can, tb bypass. Tein H-Tech, Tokico Illumina's. Skunk2 cams + Kpro (not installed)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.