Battery voltage 13.3V... test bad. Alternator faulty? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-03-2009, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Battery voltage 13.3V... test bad. Alternator faulty?

Took the car for a vacation to New Mexico last week. As I drove quite a bit through the night, I noticed a periodic flicker of lights; kind of it is bright and then it sort of loses brightness just a little bit, and then so again in few minutes.

I also had two occasions where I thought it was somewhat unwilling to crank. I mean it did crank and turn over, but it was kind of "sluggish".

So I just went to O'Riley's to have my battery tested.

The guy says:

- the battery reads 13 V, which is high
- the battery tests "bad"
- most likely I have a faulty alternator (hence too high voltage) which killed my battery

I drove it back thinking I'd take it to Honda to look it over, I have extended warranty to 70K. I don't care if I need a new battery (it's an 05, with 44K miles, so it is somewhat time for it to go anyway) - but figure if there is an alternator problem, they should take care of that... Came home and tested the voltage with a digital voltmeter too and it read 13.3 V eh...

Does any of this make sense? In other words - does it sound like alternator is an issue here?

Thanks!

Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-03-2009, 06:48 PM

I'm assuming this is a 4 cyl? The dimming, esp when the a/c comes on, is normal. The slow crank may be a cause for concern.

Voltage really is meaningless unless it's at 12.5 or lower or 15v or higher. 13.3 right after you shut the car off is nothing to be worried about.

You need to know what the alternator's current output is under load.

A fully charged battery should have an open circuit voltage of at least 12.6. Once it's load tested at half it's cold cranking amps for 15 seconds it's voltage while still under load shouldn't fall lower than 10.6 or so. If cold out, this voltage will change. There are other electronic testers for the battery that can also determine if there's a problem within the battery.

The battery should recover to around 12.1-12.5.

With the car running you should see 14.2 volts, slightly higher in cold weather.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #3 of 12 Old 07-03-2009, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Yes indeed, this is a 4 cylinder I am talking about (LX)...

Thank you for your explanation! I'll swing by Autozone tomorrow too to have the battery tested. It is very possible the battery is going anyway but at this point, I want a second opinion on that too.

post #4 of 12 Old 07-03-2009, 07:56 PM
BRWNFLSH now

If the engine is running, and the alternator is charging, 13 volts is actually low. When the alternator is charging + battery voltage, it should be 14 or higher. The local Autozone had a Bear battery tester, which Honda recommends using, and my battery while it started the car, was close to the end of it's useful life. When I would start the engine, it drained the battery to the point where it was causing communication errors from the multiplex integrated control unit. This caused some very strange things.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-04-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Yeah I went to local Autozone too... and they had a battery tester that seemed to be a bit more comprehensive than the one the other place used. I mean they actually needed to know the cold cranking amps to test it right.

The battery ended up being bad anyway and I got the new one.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Not a n00b!

Um... let's talk about this for a while.. Alternators (and regulators) are designed to charge a battery anywhere up to 14.4V (depending on the car, battery and load). The problem occurs when your rectifier or regulator goes bad.

the rectifier takes the Alternating current (alternator, right...) and turns it into Direct Current (DC) to charge your battery. If that goes bad, you are trying to charge your battery with AC. batteries are like capacitors and make great filers, they don't pass AC, but it will eventually kill them.

If the regulator goes bad then you could be putting as much as 18-20 VDC into your battery, thus overcharging it and slowly killing it (and your new one).

Just because the battery shows 13 volts (unloaded) does not mean it's good. What were the load volts?

You could have a shorted plate that produces 0 load volts. As soon as you drop the load, your back up to 13 volts.

You might want to get a quick charging system test on the car, just to make sure the regulator and rectifier are good just to be on the safe side.

05 Accord EXV6 - leather, OEM fogs, TSX Retrofit Projectors, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Mud Guards, HFP Lip Spoiler, 20% Tint all around, HFP Suspension, Autostart Two Way Remote starter, 16" Kumho I'zen Winters, 17" Acura TL wheels with NEXEN 3000 summers
post #7 of 12 Old 01-14-2016, 10:40 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
I'm assuming this is a 4 cyl? The dimming, esp when the a/c comes on, is normal. The slow crank may be a cause for concern.

Voltage really is meaningless unless it's at 12.5 or lower or 15v or higher. 13.3 right after you shut the car off is nothing to be worried about.

You need to know what the alternator's current output is under load.

A fully charged battery should have an open circuit voltage of at least 12.6. Once it's load tested at half it's cold cranking amps for 15 seconds it's voltage while still under load shouldn't fall lower than 10.6 or so. If cold out, this voltage will change. There are other electronic testers for the battery that can also determine if there's a problem within the battery.

The battery should recover to around 12.1-12.5.

With the car running you should see 14.2 volts, slightly higher in cold weather.
Hi. My name is Margie. I recently had what I thought, was a battery issue. Took my 2005 S2000 to the Honda dealer because the battery was still under warranty. So they tested everything telling me my alternator was bad and I needed to have it changed out ($750 later). I opted to take it home and have it checked at a few more places. AutoZone and another car place where my truck was at, checked it and said all was good.

Called Honda and they gave me some stuff about the load limits being different on this car then the information you show above as being ok. They used some tester. (G5 maybe?) Told me I would be driving around and my car would just STOP.

Little concerned that 2 places would check out ok and then Honda proceeds to tell me something totally off the wall. I think he said something about 150 for the load? Do you know what he is talking about? I am afraid to go too far and hate to spend almost $800 for something it does NOT really need.

Suggestions Please?
post #8 of 12 Old 01-14-2016, 10:46 AM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
KavonK

Do your dash lights dim once in a while? If you're experiencing the symptoms stated in the beginning of the thread, then there's a chance your alternator is bad. $750 is high for that job. Have you been to a local shop? Get more quotes. You could also buy your own alternator and let them put it on.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 178k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2003 Ford F-150
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #9 of 12 Old 01-14-2016, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KavonK View Post
Hi. My name is Margie. I recently had what I thought, was a battery issue. Took my 2005 S2000 to the Honda dealer because the battery was still under warranty. So they tested everything telling me my alternator was bad and I needed to have it changed out ($750 later). I opted to take it home and have it checked at a few more places. AutoZone and another car place where my truck was at, checked it and said all was good.

Called Honda and they gave me some stuff about the load limits being different on this car then the information you show above as being ok. They used some tester. (G5 maybe?) Told me I would be driving around and my car would just STOP.

Little concerned that 2 places would check out ok and then Honda proceeds to tell me something totally off the wall. I think he said something about 150 for the load? Do you know what he is talking about? I am afraid to go too far and hate to spend almost $800 for something it does NOT really need.

Suggestions Please?
Yes, it is a 4 cyl and all the load tests and outputs came out fine at AutoZone.
Waiting to hear back from Honda on the load limits they said I had etc etc.

Thank you.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-14-2016, 11:32 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salcuta88 View Post
KavonK

Do your dash lights dim once in a while? If you're experiencing the symptoms stated in the beginning of the thread, then there's a chance your alternator is bad. $750 is high for that job. Have you been to a local shop? Get more quotes. You could also buy your own alternator and let them put it on.
I have not necessarily noticed the lights. I don't drive it regularly but start it. Honda was the only place that said it was bad. AutoZone and a local repair shop said the alternator tested fine. I called the Honda dealer out on it and they claimed they used some sophisticated tester and the normal.
Okay so just got off the phone. They use something called a GR8 test (tester) with code: 0682G-45DT194HQ3.
Girl had trouble reading the results. something about not loaded: 13.59 volts with 34.1 Amps. The battery is good. Loaded was 13.14 and could not make out the amps.

Then off to the side it said 105amps.
Thanks.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-14-2016, 03:14 PM
Roll Tide!

Quote:
I recently had what I thought, was a battery issue. Took my 2005 S2000 to the Honda dealer because the battery was still under warranty.
What makes you think you had a battery issue? We need details, Margie.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 12 Old 01-14-2016, 05:32 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Quote:
Margie

It could also be as simple as a loose accessory belt. One of the things driven by that belt is the alternator.

If the belt is loose (and it almost certainly is on 11 year old car if it's never been replaced), the alternator won't spin fast enough to put out the expected amount of power, or something like that.

I don't know about the s2000, but on my Accord the test is a simple visual check. If an arrow on one part is pointing to a bar on another part, the tension is good.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.