$2,000 for a fender-bender? $4,000?? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-22-2009, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

$2,000 for a fender-bender? $4,000??

I had to use valet parking because it's the only viable option around LAX airport... and got my poor '06 V6 Coupe back with a serious smash in the rear-right corner. The parking lot has voiced their intention to reimburse me for the damage, and asked for two estimates. Obviously the bumper has to be replaced, but still the opinions vary, to say the least:

One shop that was a personal reference stated that the quarter panel damage is complex and that the whole panel - pricing their estimate at $3,800.

Another shop that made a good impression (I found it through good online reviews) thinks it's a bad idea, and sees no special problem making a decent repair of the quarter panel, estimating at $2,000.

I tend to agree with the second shop - cutting out, replacing and repainting a quarter of the car seems like a major overkill, and no matter how good they are, the imperfections of a widespread repair outweigh the benefits.
But I'm an autobody noob, and just want the best for my car. What do you recommend?

Thanks!

Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-22-2009, 04:24 AM
7th Gear

If they are paying for it, get it done right and return it to original shape.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #3 of 13 Old 06-22-2009, 06:28 AM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

Take it to whichever shop you feel most comfortable with. In either case, if you are going through the valet's insurance carrier, they will send out an adjuster to estimate the damage and work with the shop for the appropriate repair.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-22-2009, 07:35 AM
<error: divide by zero>

I like the second option.

Mike M

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wheels,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(temp and Maplights),
post #5 of 13 Old 06-22-2009, 07:46 AM
3rd Gear

Based on the photos, I lean with the second shop. It doesn't look like it needs to be cut/replaced.

'05 v6 coupe 6MT
post #6 of 13 Old 06-22-2009, 08:19 AM
my wheels do work...

how the hell did the valet manage to mangle up the car like this? Joyriding it or some such crap?

"Modifying a car becomes an addiction when the cost of the modifications is greater than the cost of the car new" - apparently, I have a major addiction :X
post #7 of 13 Old 06-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Red Devils

take it to rich and famous auto body in van nuys. They did my car and will make sure its back to original condition if not better. They will work out all options with you and are the mot professional guys I know. Ask for Varden or Sal and say Jordon sent ya.
5star shop
post #8 of 13 Old 06-22-2009, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Interesting... shop #2 is Rich & Famous They seem fine, my only concern is that they have only excellent reviews online... I'd feel better if I found one lukewarm review!

That's 3 for the cheaper localized repair, none for the major overhaul. Definitely helps me choose. The lot may or may not send an adjuster because they're self-insured.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-22-2009, 11:38 AM
4th Gear

I am a former auto adjuster.

That quarter panel does not need to be replaced.

Replacing a quarter is very tricky, if not done perfectly it can introduce rust or creaking noises.

The first shop would probably not even do an entire quarter panel change but a sectional cut. Which is even more difficult.

I don't know Rich & Famous but I think their recommendation is the better option.

03 Sedan I-4 LX 5AT 110k Miles

Enkei RP03 SBC 17X8 48MM offset
General Exclaim 225/50 R 17
Neuspeed Upper Strut Tie-Bar
TL Rear Sway Bar
Suntek Tint 20% F 5% Rear
Magnefine ATF
Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 10k OCI
Motul 5.1
post #10 of 13 Old 06-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Red Devils

I was one of the guys that gave a review and my friend did too. They actually are for real in terms of customer service and how they handle everything. Its not like I work there and im advertising. I am recommending from experience as a customer. I agree with all the reviews they got because they do that stuff and their shop is HUGE with diff sections for diff things to be done to a car. Paint room is ridiculous.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-23-2009, 09:05 AM
6th Gear

My Civic had a quarter replaced one time. A real mess. They have to gut the interior, remove the rear window, etc. My wifes quarter was damaged pretty bad one time and I would have bet they would have to replace it. They did repair it with no issues to date. If the repair shop is good then they can fix it properly without entire replacement.

Good luck.

03 Accord LX I4 5spd, 265k miles.
with 19 HFP Wheels and Eibach pro spring kit (second set as the first set of rear springs rusted apart).
Previous car: 98 Civic EX 5sp. with 155K, RIP
post #12 of 13 Old 06-23-2009, 09:14 AM
6th Gear

My car was hit on the L/H side like yours, but only worse. Mine was caved in on that corner. They replaced my bumper and did a little body work on the quarter panel........it was slightly bent.......then they blended the paint in to match the rest of the car. Looks great and only ran $1500.

2014 Accord Sport CVT
Champagne Frost Pearl
Kicker 300watt Amp
Kicker CompR 12/ Ported Box

SON OF THUNDER
post #13 of 13 Old 06-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Red Devils

I guess I should mention my car's quarter panel was done because somebody did a side collision on me. They replace quarter panel and my bumper. They also repainted most of my car to match and sure enough it does since they do their own paint. They do quarter panels right.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.