Windshield replacement cost - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 06-08-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Windshield replacement cost

What have you paid for a 7th Gen windshield replacement if NOT claimed through insurance?

I just claimed comprehensive recently when a metal casting smashed my bumper, so I don't want to give the insurance company any excuse to raise my premium by claiming a cracked windshield so soon after the bumper claim.

Called 4 shops in the area, each one claimed new windshield but the prices are $410, $265, $225, and $170! (all in Canadian currency)

How could the prices vary that much?

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 06-08-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviography View Post
What have you paid for a 7th Gen windshield replacement if NOT claimed through insurance?

I just claimed comprehensive recently when a metal casting smashed my bumper, so I don't want to give the insurance company any excuse to raise my premium by claiming a cracked windshield so soon after the bumper claim.

Called 4 shops in the area, each one claimed new windshield but the prices are $410, $265, $225, and $170! (all in Canadian currency)

I did a look at Safelite auto glass, they'll come to you. In USD, it's $278.

I think the prices will vary depending on where they get the glass from, there are a few suppliers and some are cheap, as in optically unpure glass. Seen that.

I'm sure this is not a Honda OEM windshield. The price of that would be way up there. List on the glass alone is 466 without the moldings.

You have to watch out for some of these guys. We had a mobile guy come to our shop to do a customer's Jeep. He took a sawzall to the windshield to cut out the glass! It took him 2.5 hours to change out that glass, damaging the headliner, and pillar trims.

Our old glass guy quit the business, he could have a windshield changed in under 20 minutes. This using the piano wire cutters for the urethane.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #3 of 45 Old 06-08-2009, 07:08 PM
5th Gear

I paid $175 to replace the windshield on my old 01 Accord. It was from a local company and they came to my house. Did the work in around 30mins. OEM windshield would have been close to $300. A few other shops in my area had prices around $200 for non OEM windshield. They all pretty much told me glass is glass and that there is really no point in paying more for OEM glass.

97 Accord LX Coupe A/T 28mpg

09 Accord LX-P A/T 31mpg

Pagani Zonda - When I win the lottery and move to Europe.

post #4 of 45 Old 06-08-2009, 08:09 PM
4th Gear

Same shop I got my tinting quoted $250 for my windshield

2006 Accord V6 6spd MT Carbon Bronze/Black
62k miles total - 25k in 1y1m (New transmission 50k courtesy of Honda)

• EBC 3GD Sport Rotors (Slotted/Dimpled)[Front]
  • Akebono Street Performance Pads[Front]
  • AEM V2
  • 55% Font/5% Rear Tint
  • Interior+License Plate White LEDs
  • DDM 5k HID Lows/HIR Highs
  • Hella Micro DE fogs(OEM garnish) w/ Raptor 3k HID
  • USA-Spec PA15-HON2 iPod/AUX Input
  • Scangauge II
  • TL Switchblade Key
To install: TL-S Sway Bars; Comp-tech SS
post #5 of 45 Old 06-08-2009, 09:17 PM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

Comprehensive losses, specifically glass only, will not raise your insurance rates. Your prior loss would be considered a collision loss, unless it was considered a falling object. However, you are in Canada so your insurance laws may be different (but I don't think they would be). Make sure you are calling glass repair shops, not body shops.
post #6 of 45 Old 06-08-2009, 09:57 PM

Replaced mine for like $200 or so
post #7 of 45 Old 06-09-2009, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
Comprehensive losses, specifically glass only, will not raise your insurance rates. Your prior loss would be considered a collision loss, unless it was considered a falling object. However, you are in Canada so your insurance laws may be different (but I don't think they would be). Make sure you are calling glass repair shops, not body shops.
Yes my prior claim, which occured in mid April this year, was deemed a comprehensive claim by my insurance company due to a falling debri (see New tow-hook, ARGGGGG).

And yes all 4 shops I called are listed under Yellow Page as auto glass shops, well I used Google and these 4 came up for this area.

Found this thread from recent months Gettin' a new windshield, looks like someone near the area paid $350 range.

And an old thread with some pricing info Windshield - Rock damage.

I guess I will call the shops to see what brand of glass they are using.

post #8 of 45 Old 06-09-2009, 01:40 AM
1st Gear

I too used Safelite and they price matched the lowest price I could find. I don't know if it's available to you, but worth a look. They came to my house an knoocked it out in about and hour. Til this day I've had no problems with leaks or noise. Good all around job.
post #9 of 45 Old 06-09-2009, 04:04 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviography View Post

I phoned about 7 places and I got a $200 to $420 range in Alberta. If I wanted an original honda window it was about $600 plus $140 for install.

03 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto - Nighthawk Black Pearl
Tint 20% rear, 35% front.
OEM Fogs, front lip spoiler and trunk lip spoiler
MRR GT1's 18" x 7.5" with 48mm offset with Kumho SPT 215/45R18 (black with polished lip) (Summer)
Stock rims with 205/60R16 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R's (Winter)
'07 TL Switchblade key
K & N drop in filter
HFP suspension with Ingalls rear camber, yes you need a rear camber kit with the sedan.
post #10 of 45 Old 06-09-2009, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by am-radio View Post
I phoned about 7 places and I got a $200 to $420 range in Alberta. If I wanted an original honda window it was about $600 plus $140 for install.
For $740 they'd better be doing a whole lot more than just replacing the windshield!

That's insane........, if wasn't for the $170 to $225 options I would almost consider driving to Buffalo to get this work done, but I will find out about the brand of the $170 quote and check out the shop first before deciding.

BTW the $410 price (before taxes) was Apple Auto Glass, and the $170 price (also before taxes) was from Auto Glass in North York (Weston & Finch area).

post #11 of 45 Old 06-09-2009, 06:41 AM
kha
2nd Gear

i got my done for 230 at windshield surgeon

im in edmonton
post #12 of 45 Old 06-09-2009, 06:42 AM

Maybe call some local Honda dealers(service and used cars) to see what they recommend. I'm sure they have to replace quite a few front windshields on some of the trade ins esp the trades that become Honda Certified.

Dealers vary on how much or how little they do when it comes to the certification. A local dealer here refinishes the honda alloy wheels as part of the process. While another dealer will have mismatched tires on their certifieds.
post #13 of 45 Old 06-09-2009, 06:43 AM
5th Gear

Glass varies widely. Safelite is generally low quality. Google them. Since auto glass is laminated construction quality is important (especially if we are talking about keeping something like a deer or elk from coming in - good luck with a elk not penetrating the window). Saab actually used to do an "elk test" if you want a interesting read.

Anyhow, lamination quality also effects how wavy the window looks from the side. Honda OEM in the states is AP tech, its what toyota uses currently too. I find it to be pretty poor quality (wavy looking)

From the research I did there are a few top companies, either way no matter who makes your window the install is critical. If it is not installed or cured properly it may not protect in a crash.

From what Ive found quality wise:
Pilkington (excellent quality - warmish tint)
Sekurit (VW / other imports) (also excellent - cooler color tint)
LOF (Libbey Owems Ford - USA subsidiary of pilkington - pretty good quality) (cant recall tint color)
PPG (very good quality - easy to find- installer certified program called PPG pro stars) (pretty neutral tint)
carlite (ford) - seems to be pretty good from what Ive seen (neutral tint)

personally I had a safelite window. It lasted less than a year, pitted worse than my 8 year old Pilkinton window.

EDIT: forgot to add, since laminations vary, tint also does, so if you get say a PPG window to replace the honda AP tech one, you may notice a different "tint" color, so things may look warmer, cooler, or more green etc through one vs another. Im a photographer so I notice color balance, most people would not notice.

2006 AV6 6sp
post #14 of 45 Old 06-10-2009, 05:04 AM
6th Gear

I agree with Safelite. I would only use OEM or glass made by PPG.
post #15 of 45 Old 06-10-2009, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I called these shops today to find out what brand glass they are using.

The $170 one was "XYG" brand (I kid you not), the same shop will put in PPG glass for $250, the $225 one was "Lamishield", PPG brand from them is $260, another shop that had $225 price was using the "FY" brand, their PPG price is $265.

The last shop I checked is PPG "ProStar" certified, their PPG price is $360, and their "after market" one is $260.

I Googled XYG brand and saw nothing but bad reviews on distored optics that caused naucia and headache.

Guess I'll wait a bit until the crack becomes much worse then I'm going to get the PPG one put in.

And since my comprehensive deductable is $300, there is no point to even consider going through insurance..........

I wonder if you guys who have had the windshield replaced could have a look to see if XYG or FY or Lamashield brand is on the lower corner of your replacement windshield and if you notice any distortions etc.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.