Power Slot Cryo Rotors - My Experiences - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 06-08-2009, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Power Slot Cryo Rotors - My Experiences

I rarely post on the forums in which I'm a member, but I felt that this issue needed to be reviewed by those who are making decisions regarding brakes and rotors and how companies do or do not stand behind their product. Again, this is just MY experience. Some of you may have had success with this company.

When I purchased my car (2004 Accord EX-L, 4 cyl, automatic) in March 2008, it had warped rotors (front & back).

I purchased a front set of PowerSlot Cryogenically Tempered rotors and HPS Street/Sport Pads from The Tire Rack (tirerack.com). I installed & bedded them precisely per the directions (I'm OCD about following procedures) and 22k miles later, these rotors have warped. I mainly drive on the interstate; I don't race or autocross.

Obviously, after spending $307.31 at The Tire Rack for now warped rotors, I am not happy. I contacted their customer service department and they offered no help. Then I contacted PowerSlot with my concerns and they didn't offer any help either. I told them that lack of TRUE customer service and inability to stand behind their product is becoming the downfall of many companies today. I also told them that I'd be relating my experiences on the automotive forums in which I frequent. So, here I am.

I also have a good experience to relate. I have found a company that WILL stand behind their product (per their website, on some products - "Lifetime Warranty Against Warping and Defects in Materials & Workmanship"). I have used them in the past and will use them again in the future. Feel free to check them out: brakeperformance.com.

I have the brakeperformance.com premium dimpled & slotted rotors with Hawk pads on the front of my 1998 Infiniti QX4 and have had NO problems for 15k miles. I also have the brakeperformance.com premium dimpled & slotted rotors with their free pads on the rear of my Accord and have had NO problems for 16k miles. Some of you may be concerned with thier free pads, but again, I have had NO problems and think they do a fine job.

When I was researching rotors for the front of the Accord, I did my research and "knew" that Power Slot Cryos was the way to go and that the cryogenic tempering was going to "prevent" any and all future warping. However, I was wrong and learned that the company doesn't care.

Therefore, my next purchase will be from brakeperformance.com. For their premium dimpled & slotted set with free brake pads and free shipping will be $182.27 and will be more than enough to handle my needs verses over $300 for a product that no one will stand behind.

I hope this may help some of you who are contemplating purchasing brakes and rotors.

unique

Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-08-2009, 10:58 AM
6th Gear

Good to know!

-03 Honda Accord EX V6
-Debadged-17mm sway bar-UR crank pulley-AEM CAI
post #3 of 20 Old 06-08-2009, 11:34 AM
6th Gear

good to know, i was considering these rotors; i guess not so much anymore.

post #4 of 20 Old 06-08-2009, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Also...

This is an excerpt from an email reply from Power Slot: "The rotors at this point will probably need to be machined, but then adhere to the procedures in the attachment when reinstalling them and make sure runout is within specification."

I found that to be rather humerous. Some people may do it, but I DON'T turn rotors.

unique
post #5 of 20 Old 06-08-2009, 12:05 PM
4th Gear

I was considering these rotors or buying the Ultra Premium rotors from Napa with a Lifetime Warranty.

I guess I will go with Napa.

If something goes wrong I don't have to deal with someone on the phone or be email. I can just litteraly walk down to my local Napa store and exchange them.

03 Sedan I-4 LX 5AT 110k Miles

Enkei RP03 SBC 17X8 48MM offset
General Exclaim 225/50 R 17
Neuspeed Upper Strut Tie-Bar
TL Rear Sway Bar
Suntek Tint 20% F 5% Rear
Magnefine ATF
Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 10k OCI
Motul 5.1
post #6 of 20 Old 06-08-2009, 12:17 PM
‎']['{[]}{[]}][_

I was also considering these rotors from Tirerack...don't think I'll be buying that brand now.

ASM 2007 EX-V6 6MT Sedan
MODS:
-35% tint
-Acura TSX retro headlights (Blacked out) w/amber LED turn sig bulbs & "bullet" angel eyes
-Depo Fogs w/2500K bulbs
-Hybrid Tail Lamps w/red 7w LED turn sig bulbs
-Custom JDM style grill & mesh lower grill insert
-K&N Typhoon CAI
-USA Spec iPod interface
-Front 12.6" Wilwood BBK & Rear 12" upgrade w/15mm Ichiba wheel spacers

FUTURE MODS:
-Tein Coilovers
-Vossen 19" VVS-CV3
-Hybrid Mirrors
-Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust
post #7 of 20 Old 06-08-2009, 03:11 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for the info.

I am curious if you're only driving interstate and don't race or autocross why you need dimpled and slotted rotors?

F1snob
'13 Accord Touring Black
2009 E92 335i Xdrive JB4 Tune
'06 6-speed Sedan with NAV Gone but not forgotten
'96 Accord EX-L 5-speed
Too many other cars to list
post #8 of 20 Old 06-08-2009, 04:49 PM

What do your hubs look like when the rotors are removed?

I was going through some stuff on the EBC website and found a really good tech article. It only takes a 5 micron defect, either dirt, rust, anything actually, on the hub to the hat to cause the rotor, over time (usually about 2-8k miles) to "warp". Actually they distort through the entire rotor.

On my car (6 speed) I've had the same issue, with numerous sets of stock rotors, and now with a set of el-cheapo Napa rotors. The car has had this issue since new, the first shuddering started at around 10k. The hubs were rusty then as well. It also came with corroding wheel studs since new. Very odd.

After I read the article, I pulled the rotors and found some rust that's more visible than "feelable" . I took a rotary wire brush in my air die grinder and completely cleaned the hub and the inside of the rotor's hat. I also took sandpaper and cleaned around the wheel studs.

The car has slowly gone from shuddering like hell, to a reduced gentle "buzz", only noticeable from 55 on up when on the brakes lightly. I'll probably replace the rotors again and clean everything. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will stop it permanently.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #9 of 20 Old 06-08-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1snob View Post
Thanks for the info.

I am curious if you're only driving interstate and don't race or autocross why you need dimpled and slotted rotors?
Obviously, I don't "need" them. I just wanted extra protection against heat. Why do guys do lots of things they don't need?

unique
post #10 of 20 Old 06-09-2009, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
What do your hubs look like when the rotors are removed?

I was going through some stuff on the EBC website and found a really good tech article. It only takes a 5 micron defect, either dirt, rust, anything actually, on the hub to the hat to cause the rotor, over time (usually about 2-8k miles) to "warp". Actually they distort through the entire rotor.

On my car (6 speed) I've had the same issue, with numerous sets of stock rotors, and now with a set of el-cheapo Napa rotors. The car has had this issue since new, the first shuddering started at around 10k. The hubs were rusty then as well. It also came with corroding wheel studs since new. Very odd.

After I read the article, I pulled the rotors and found some rust that's more visible than "feelable" . I took a rotary wire brush in my air die grinder and completely cleaned the hub and the inside of the rotor's hat. I also took sandpaper and cleaned around the wheel studs.

The car has slowly gone from shuddering like hell, to a reduced gentle "buzz", only noticeable from 55 on up when on the brakes lightly. I'll probably replace the rotors again and clean everything. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will stop it permanently.
That's obviously something to think about. I must admit that I didn't clean the hub with a wire brush and die grinder, but I did spray everything down with brake cleaner and wiped away the dirt & rust with paper towel. I repeated this until the paper towl was clean. However, this is the same procedure performed on the rear of the Accord and the front of my QX4 with positive results.

I would think that if it only took 5 micron of debris to warp a rotor, then most cars on the road would have warped rotors. You would almost need a clean room environment to perform brake work. I'm not saying that 5 micron can't cause a problem, but it's just difficult to believe.

unique
post #11 of 20 Old 06-09-2009, 10:07 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unique View Post
Obviously, I don't "need" them. I just wanted extra protection against heat. Why do guys do lots of things they don't need?

unique
Admit it, you're a ricer!

03 Sedan I-4 LX 5AT 110k Miles

Enkei RP03 SBC 17X8 48MM offset
General Exclaim 225/50 R 17
Neuspeed Upper Strut Tie-Bar
TL Rear Sway Bar
Suntek Tint 20% F 5% Rear
Magnefine ATF
Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 10k OCI
Motul 5.1
post #12 of 20 Old 06-09-2009, 11:54 AM
4th Gear

I dealt with that on my car. I think honda's issue is poor alignment at the hub. I still think they are not true and this causes us to have rotors that are way out on the runout spec. But I do not have one of those mountable micrometers to prove it.

It doesn't matter how good the rotor is, if it's sitting crooked because the car was lazily made that way, there's nothing we can do. I found a tech article from CARQUEST about this issue in general that stated, when doing a brake job, if turn the rotor and put it on and find more than point x mm's in runout, you need to use shims accordingly. The kits aren't really attainable by the public, but apparently they use specifically sized metal shim plates at the hub surface to bring rotors into true when dealing with defective cars.

Do a poor mans test, if it's in the front, jack the car, take he tires off, put it in first and let it spin the front rotors slowly, see if you can see them wobble if you look across the surface. One of mine does a little. I haven't taken it in to see what they will do yet.
post #13 of 20 Old 06-09-2009, 05:03 PM

The issue with dirt and crud on the hub is very common. And the huge number of cars I see with "warped" rotors is huge. Some models you can be as sloppy as you want and they don't care. Your Pathfinder isn't as sensitive to it, I can't ever remember having one with brake judder. Maximas and Altimas are another story!

The rear of the Accord, it's much less sensitive than the front. My car, though had the rears do it too. But its only happened once in 65k.

I don't see it as much from heat as from pad material deposition issues and runout issues.

When I see real heat warpage the rotors are usually dark blue to black with heat spots all over them.

When you look at your rotors, can you see pad marks on the rotors? (backside)

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #14 of 20 Old 06-30-2009, 02:24 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unique View Post

unique
Unique, did you get those new rotors? My wife claims her '06 Odyssey may have warped rotors and it's nearing 60,000 miles. Those rotors seem like a good deal and they list them for the Ody too. We don't need cross drilled rotors, but I thought the extra protection might be nice. I am curious if you bought these and how they worked.

Thanks.

F1snob
'13 Accord Touring Black
2009 E92 335i Xdrive JB4 Tune
'06 6-speed Sedan with NAV Gone but not forgotten
'96 Accord EX-L 5-speed
Too many other cars to list
post #15 of 20 Old 06-30-2009, 02:36 PM
5th Gear

Unique, from your comments you seem like a reasonable person. That's not always the case on the Internet, as you know.

This -- -- is a good read. It may assist you in the future.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.