2006 Accord EX V-6 Coupe... Need help with mods! How do I make it faster? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 06-07-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

2006 Accord EX V-6 Coupe... Need help with mods! How do I make it faster?

Hey, so I'm about to get an 06 Accord EX V-6 Coupe and I'm incredibly excited about it. It's the first car that I have ever owned, and I have about $1,000 plus or minus a couple hundred dollars to put into some aftermarket parts for the car. I truthfully know close to nothing about the engine of a car, and all I know is that I want to do SOMETHING that will give me some performance/acceleration gains. What is the best thing/things I can do to my car for a grand that will give me the best performance gains without sacrificing reliability? Thanks a lot, and I look forward to hearing from you guys!

Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-07-2009, 11:16 PM
out of control

is your car an auto or manual?

Normally, making any modification to your engine will make it less reliable or requires sacrifices.

You should start off with the popular, AEM V2 cold air intake and any cat-back exhaust such as the GReddy EVO2.

Oh and congrats on your car. I wish mine was a v6 but with the plans I have in mind, I may end up building a k24 motor that will kill any stock j30's (V6 accords)

2006 Accord Coupe V6 6MT w/Navigation

Previous:2007 Accord i4 5AT

My 7th Gen V6 6 Speed Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old 06-08-2009, 01:11 AM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

The Accord V6 is already a fast car without modifications.

post #4 of 23 Old 06-08-2009, 03:18 AM
3-Time Accord Owner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Succinct
The first mod I tell 7th gen Accord owners to do is to replace their stock anti-sway bars with the Acura TL or TL-S bars. It's the best bang for the buck, no doubt. Look it up in the FAQs.

I am not sure re the coupe applicability, but for the sedan it has got to be the best upgrade for very little dinero. (I got both my TL bars, with all brackets, shipped to my door, for $83).

I agree with the AEM V2, have been toying with that lately since it's time to pay for another $15 stock air filter element. I'll probably stick with stock tho since the older I get the more I value silence.

Eric

2015 Accord Sport
2006 Odyssey EX-L/RES
2007 Mazda3 S Touring sedan
2001 CR-V
Previous Hondas:
1980 Accord Sedan
2006 Accord V6 EX-L sedan
1994 Legend GS 6MT sedan
1991 Legend sedan 4AT
6 Civics: '86 CRX-Si, 1991 Si, 1991 DX, 1992 VX, 1998 HX, 2005 VP
2012 Mustang GT 5.0, 2011 Mustang GT 'Vert 6MT, 1974 Porsche 914-2.0, 1972 Corvette convertible, 1972 Cougar XR-7, 1985 IROC-Z, 92 F150, 97 Expedition, etc, etc.
post #5 of 23 Old 06-08-2009, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
The Accord V6 is already a fast car without modifications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Succinct View Post
The first mod I tell 7th gen Accord owners to do is to replace their stock anti-sway bars with the Acura TL or TL-S bars. It's the best bang for the buck, no doubt. Look it up in the FAQs.

I am not sure re the coupe applicability, but for the sedan it has got to be the best upgrade for very little dinero. (I got both my TL bars, with all brackets, shipped to my door, for $83).

I agree with the AEM V2, have been toying with that lately since it's time to pay for another $15 stock air filter element. I'll probably stick with stock tho since the older I get the more I value silence.
Couldn't have said these any better myself, the V6 is a pretty fast car to start with, about the only other suggestion I can make is a better set of tires to maintain traction when you do put accelerate hard.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 23 Old 06-08-2009, 04:25 AM
7th Gear

First off, you need to know your car before you do any mods. Seeing how this is your first car, you need to understand all parts of it and what they can and can't do. The car by itself is fast enough to kill you. So, know what you are dealing with before you start to tinker with it.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #7 of 23 Old 06-08-2009, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the incredibly quick responses, I really appreciate all the help. I definitely agree that the v6 is already definitely a fast car without modifications, and while it is the first car that I will own, it is definitely not the first car that I have driven. I leased an Altima for a couple years, and have been driving my father's M45 Sport for a couple years, which is definitely way too fast for its own good. I have driven the v6 coupe around before, and it definitely has got some pep. I realize that is a fast car already, and I'm obviously not trying to make it as quick as the M45, but I would still like to be able just to add a little bit of something else to it, just to make it a little quicker than stock.

Also, the car is an auto.

As for the mods... where is the best place to order things like sway bars, cold air intakes, and exhausts from? What will the sway bars do for me, is it more about better handling than quicker acceleration? Also, what does a cold air intake and cat-back exhaust do for me? The exhaust for the v6 looks to be around $900, so I don't think I can afford that along with an intake and the sway bars. Which would give me the best performance upgrade, getting just the exhaust or getting the intake, sway bars, and some other part that I could get for a few hundred dollars?

Also, what kind of reliability sacrifices will I be making with sway bars, an exhaust, and an intake?

Thanks again everyone! And sorry for all my (probably foolish) questions.
post #8 of 23 Old 06-08-2009, 06:18 AM
On hiatus...

Buy a faster car if you want to go faster

Seriously, the Accord is no "sports car".

2011 Pilot EX-L AWD
2010 Corolla LE
2008 Goldwing Navi
post #9 of 23 Old 06-08-2009, 07:46 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshuman View Post
What will the sway bars do for me, is it more about better handling than quicker acceleration? Also, what does a cold air intake and cat-back exhaust do for me?
As said, the sway bars are a really good bang-for-the-buck. Probably the best for anyone doing performance mods. Search the board for part numbers, and install DIY's.

Now the other stuff, if you are not sure what they do, just drive the car and figure out what you are least satistifed with, and then spend your money..

'05 v6 coupe 6MT
post #10 of 23 Old 06-08-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshuman View Post
What will the sway bars do for me, is it more about better handling than quicker acceleration? Also, what does a cold air intake and cat-back exhaust do for me?
I am guessing the sway bars do nothing for increased acceleration. I guess if you plan on speeding around corners it would help, but how often do you plan on doing that? Since Acura and Honda are the same company, I don't really understand how the TL bars make any difference, except maybe for bragging rights.

I did a google search for cold air intake and cat back. The cold air intake helps the engine get more air. The cat back helps the engine release more air. Articles do say there is an increase in performance, but none say how much. What they do say is that you sacrifice noise for performance. The engine is considerably louder with both modifications.
post #11 of 23 Old 06-08-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Since Acura and Honda are the same company, I don't really understand how the TL bars make any difference, except maybe for bragging rights.

The TL and TL-S sway bars are larger than the accord sway bar, allowing for less "give" when cornering. A larger rear sway bar increases oversteer, while a larger front sway bar increases understeer (of which the accord and many FWD cars have enough of). Some put a large (Comptech, Progress) rear sway and use the TL front sway bar to compensate for the much increased oversteer. Others get the TL auto or manual (manual being 1mm larger) to reduce most of the understeer and leave the front alone.

DIY here, although it's for a 6th gen it's the same thing.

TL manual bar, bushings, and clamp

bar

bushing

clamps

The Following User Says Thank You to sodaks2k For This Useful Post:
Speed_and_Power (11-26-2015)
post #12 of 23 Old 06-08-2009, 09:06 AM

How often are people speeding around corners in their Accord? It isn't a race car. Would hate to be a pedestrian when some jackass comes speeding around the corner just because he put TL sway bars on his Accord.
post #13 of 23 Old 06-08-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
How often are people speeding around corners in their Accord? It isn't a race car. Would hate to be a pedestrian when some jackass comes speeding around the corner just because he put TL sway bars on his Accord.
I see your point in a way, as I have considered swapping mine. I do not race my accord and there are few instances in which I would need the added size. If it were not for needing to replace the end links also for another $50 (my 6th gen has 186k and the endlinks are a PITA to get off), I would do the swap since parts can be had for less than $40 shipped and it's a little more "insurance" when needed. It's not limited to just racing around and through corners. It also aides in stability at speed, also when needing to make evasive maneuvers. If you don't feel you want or need it, great for you. Others DO track their cars, and want to get the most they can out of their cars. Others want simply to make the car a bit more safe. It's a cheap and easy mod, so why not?
post #14 of 23 Old 06-08-2009, 09:41 AM
7th Gear

Quote:
Some people have more money than sense!

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #15 of 23 Old 06-08-2009, 09:58 AM
3rd Gear

you don't have to speed in feel the benefit of the sway bars. They sway bars will provide more roll stiffness for better handling without having to increase spring stiffness and/or shocks.

Some people appreciate a sportier ride, (but don't want to buy a BMW.)

Some people can't tell the difference - then don't need it.

'05 v6 coupe 6MT
Advertisement

Tags
2006, coupe, mods, performance, v-6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.