AC clutch not engaging - Drive Accord Honda Forums |
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-14-2015, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

AC clutch not engaging

I have a 2005 Accord V6 3.0. The AC is not working at all, and the compressor clutch is not engaging. I checked the relay and that is fine. If I try jumping the relay, nothing happens - no click of the clutch engaging. So now I am still trying to figure out if it is a compressor issue, a clutch issue, or some other electrical issue

So here are my questions
- is there a pressure switch that sits between the relay and the clutch that could be the problem.
-I have a manifold gauge set, but of course can't get a reading because the compressor won't kick in. Is it worth while getting a can of R134 and connecting it to see if it is a low pressure issue?
-What is the best way to get to the clutch wire connector to jump it directly - remove the alternator?
-If it is the clutch coil, is it possible to replace that with out disconnecting and removing the compressor

post #2 of 4 Old 06-14-2015, 10:13 AM
Out of Control

You should first check for a blown fuse No. 12 (7.5 A) in the under-hood fuse/relay box, and No. 30 (7.5 A) in the under-dash fuse/relay box. If both are good, run a jumper wire from the positive side of the battery to the light blue wire on the a/c compressor clutch

There is a Low/High Pressure switch and it will not allow the compressor to engage if the pressure is too low or too high. you should get a static pressure reading regardless if the compressor is running or not and it should be above about 100psi.

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
post #3 of 4 Old 06-14-2015, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Yeah I had checked the fuses, they were fine. Static pressure was ~120.

I haven't been able to get to the wires on the clutch without ripping things apart. But I think that is what I need to do next

Is there any self diagnosis on the HVAC circuits? I have read that there is for the Civic - you hold some combination of buttons and press some more and the radio display will give a code if the ECU is seeing an open or short circuit where it shouldn't. But I haven't found anything like it for the accord

post #4 of 4 Old 06-15-2015, 05:24 PM
3rd Gear

There is...I don't have my shop manual w me but I believe you hold off and auto for will cycle through its test and blink certain things as fault shop manual download at jump on it

Agent J:

RV6 v3 jpipe, RV6 HFPC, borla CBE, PnP 3.7 IM, PnP runners, PnP IM spacer, thermal gaskets, ZDX TB, custom 4" CAI, Hondata tuned, NRG torque damper, CVD, 6-6 coupe rotors, Legend GS calipers, SS lines, 18x8 aspecs in sparkle silver, Koni yellow, tein htech, TLS sways, Inspire fogs, 35% tint, side mirrors color matched alabaster silver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.