Oil filter wrench size - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-27-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Oil filter wrench size

I'm looking to buy a cap-style oil filter wrench, and I'm not sure if our cars use 64 or 65mm (online specs go both ways). I know I could just get the OEM one and not worry about sizing, but it's 4-5 times the price of most aftermarket ones

Alternatively, if someone on DA uses a third-party oil filter wrench, can you link the one that you bought?

Thanks

2003 EX-L I4 5AT Sedan
2007 LX I4 5AT Sedan
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-27-2015, 07:54 PM
3rd Gear

Whatever you get make sure you can return it. I haven't had luck with the cap-style tool, so my oil filter changes involve a lot of cursing and remorses for not going to a shop.

Harry

2007 SE Sedan, V6 5AT
1996 Nissan 240SX SE, MT (sold)
post #3 of 18 Old 05-27-2015, 08:32 PM
3rd Gear

You should not be turning it so tight that you need a wrench!

2007 Accord SE 3.0 Sedan 5AT
2003 Accord EX 2.4L Coupe 5AT
2008 BMW R1200R

post #4 of 18 Old 05-27-2015, 09:13 PM
(K)
Ken

Garage
If you're using it to remove a filter then is your tool. If you're considering it for installing a filter then reconsider; tight enough by hand should be adequate.

I have a filter cap and it did absolutely nothing but free spin when I went to do a change on my sister's V6. I had a strap wrench that was equally useless and in the end that locking wrench was the only tool that was able to remove the filter that was apparently tightened by the hand of God during her last service. I highly suggest skipping the filter caps. If you decide to continue with it anyway, a 1mm difference won't make or break you and, in fact, the smaller diameter would probably be preferred.

Also, OEM filters have gotten much flimsier as of late. Looks like they went with Honeywell as the new supplier and they're thin-walled garbage in construction. I have an old Honda Filtech and NAPA gold filter that are great, hefty filters with superb construction. These new filters are disappointing.

'04 V6
R.I.P. '05 V6
post #5 of 18 Old 05-28-2015, 05:53 AM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
A nice big pair of channel locks work great if you need a wrench to remove the oil filter, who cares what it looks like once you get it off.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-28-2015, 06:09 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200366HFP View Post
A nice big pair of channel locks work great if you need a wrench to remove the oil filter, who cares what it looks like once you get it off.
+1. Channel lock works with all sizes - versus having to buy different caps when changing filter sizes. I never buy dedicated use tools if I can avoid it.

Note: If in a pickle, punch a hole thru the filter with a screwdriver and use that to twist it off. Messy but it works.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-28-2015, 06:49 AM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
in the end that locking wrench was the only tool that was able to remove the filter that was apparently tightened by the hand of God during her last service.
He worked at your dealership too? My God, God gets around! I do my own oil changes now but would have to use the "Drew He-Man" method below after God worked on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew03Accord View Post
+1. Channel lock works with all sizes - versus having to buy different caps when changing filter sizes. I never buy dedicated use tools if I can avoid it.

Note: If in a pickle, punch a hole thru the filter with a screwdriver and use that to twist it off. Messy but it works.
I've said it before and I will say it again....I think Drew is 1980's TV heartthrob "MacGuyver". The dude just solves problems with random stuff laying about.

Quote:
Also, OEM filters have gotten much flimsier as of late. Looks like they went with Honeywell as the new supplier and they're thin-walled garbage in construction. I have an old Honda Filtech and NAPA gold filter that are great, hefty filters with superb construction. These new filters are disappointing.
Interesting....are you saying the two different filters are of different wall thickness? Comparisons always focus on the end caps and drain valves....the last filter I punched through with a screwdriver basically shredded in my hands.....I wonder if that is why?
(K) likes this.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)
The Following User Says Thank You to RickBlaine For This Useful Post:
Drew03Accord (05-28-2015)
post #8 of 18 Old 05-28-2015, 07:20 AM

Strap wrench is the best. I still have a cap wrench but one time I made it too tight and couldn't get it off and a strap wrench saved me. You should never tighten with a cap anyway, hand tight is good and it will never leak, using an OEM filter.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-28-2015, 07:37 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
the last filter I punched through with a screwdriver basically shredded in my hands.....I wonder if that is why?
If you're still using the Bosch Distance Plus filters nowadays, those are pretty thick walled. I've never seen a filter burst, but nice to know it won't collapse like a soda can... or bust if a pebble hits it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
I've said it before and I will say it again....I think Drew is 1980's TV heartthrob "MacGuyver". The dude just solves problems with random stuff laying about.
LOL... the screwdriver punch thru is the oldest trick in the book. Learned it from an old old man too.

My toughest oil thread:

post #10 of 18 Old 05-28-2015, 07:45 AM
(K)
Ken

Garage
Yes sir that is what I'm saying. I'm sure it functions according to Honda spec but the material and construction is not to my liking at all. I purchased a few in bulk not knowing this ahead of time and now I'm deeply disappointed by them. They bother me THAT much. Only because I was used to the original Filtech ones which were great, quality-built filters. Removing an overtightened filter with solid construction is a breeze whereas a flimsy filter just collapses and causes paper cuts from flipping through the big book of swears so often.

'04 V6
R.I.P. '05 V6
post #11 of 18 Old 05-28-2015, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Yes sir that is what I'm saying. I'm sure it functions according to Honda spec but the material and construction is not to my liking at all. I purchased a few in bulk not knowing this ahead of time and now I'm deeply disappointed by them. They bother me THAT much. Only because I was used to the original Filtech ones which were great, quality-built filters. Removing an overtightened filter with solid construction is a breeze whereas a flimsy filter just collapses and causes paper cuts from flipping through the big book of swears so often.
You can still buy the Filtech-made A01 filters from a number of online sources, such as College Hills Honda or H and A Accessories.

I've got 8 A01 filters stashed away just in case they stop making them.

Also, the difference between the A01 and A02 is more than just wall thickness. Someone over at the Honda Element forums took apart an A01 and A02 and found that the A01 had 50% more filtering media inside (151 square inches for A01 compared to around 100 for A02).
(K) likes this.

2003 EX-L I4 5AT Sedan
2007 LX I4 5AT Sedan
post #12 of 18 Old 05-28-2015, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordinGB View Post
You should not be turning it so tight that you need a wrench!
I'm only planning to use it to loosen filters that are on too tight, not to tighten them. I know hand tight is enough for oil filters.

The reason I was looking at the cap-style filter wrenches is that I also have a 09 CR-V where the oil filter is on the bottom and there may not be enough space to fit a channel-lock.

2003 EX-L I4 5AT Sedan
2007 LX I4 5AT Sedan
post #13 of 18 Old 05-28-2015, 10:14 AM
4th Gear

So your going to buy a tool to use once? Why not take your belt and wrap it around the filter for leverage... done! No cost and if you put the new one on correctly you should never need to use it again. Good Luck!

2006 Night Hawk Black pearl 4 door I-4 auto

acquired july 3, 2012

Led upgrades throughout
window vent visors
DRL delete
V-6 battery upgrade
Double Din in cubby
Retro HM1 5500k 35w
Blacked out housings
HDR grill inserts top and bottom
post #14 of 18 Old 05-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03EX View Post
Big channel lock will work there. Just lean it a bit.

My toughest oil thread:

post #15 of 18 Old 05-28-2015, 10:43 AM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
Wow, not enough room in that pic for a channel lock? Or is that your Accord......

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.