Let's clear the air.. Accord Chassis vs TSX vs TL - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 07-21-2005, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Let's clear the air.. Accord Chassis vs TSX vs TL

Chassis and Suspension similarity and part interchangeability between Accord/ TSX/ TL.....

So you can get the TL sway to bolt on to an accord, and TSX shares some of the exact same parts.... so which chassis/suspension parts are more similar, and which might we be able to get other parts from (i.e. braces, brakes, springs, aftermarket parts, etc).

Here's my preliminary take on it, but I'd love it if a TL owner could help us out:

The TSX and Accord seem to share more suspension components, and the TL seems quite different... regardless of what magazines say. The following is why I've concluded this:

For instance, the exact same sway bars, bushings, and brackets (both OEM and aftermarket) are shared between the TSX and Accord. The TL bar geometry, thickness, bushings, and brackets are different (though you can bolt it on). The aftermarket bar from several different manufacturers is different between the Accord and TL, though they are the same between the Accord and TSX. I believe the springs and struts are shared between the Accord and TSX, but not between the Accord and TL. The TSX even has the same displacement as the Accord, albeit in a more performance-tuned 2.4 form. I'd be willing to bet that many of the engine and tranny parts swap between the accord and TSX... something not likely between the accord and the TL.

You may be able to mount the TL bar on the Accord because the bushing area and end link mounts are in the right location, but the bar geometry otherwise is totally different. Most 7th Gen accords have a metal exhaust bracket and rubber hanger that will directly contact and bind with the TL bar.

How about strut/firewall braces... are they the same? In that category, the TL and Accord seem to be the most compatible. How about other chassis parts? I'd like to get the misconceptions cleared out on this before anyone gets hurt .

Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 07-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Out of Control

Not decisive info but it's something.

Car and Driver Jan 2004
However, we understand why Acura continues to chase competing rear-drive sports sedans with its front-drive TL—an all-new platform costs big bucks, and more important, a terrific front-drive platform (the Honda Accord's) is readily available. But remember that the Accord tops out at 240 horsepower—arguably the beginning of the end for what front drive can handle.

Acura has done what it can with the limitations set forth by front drive, evidenced by the equipment on our test vehicle,...

Car and Driver July 2003
So enter the gap-filling TSX, a $26,990 rebadged European-market Honda Accord equipped with either the six-speed manual tested here or a five-speed automatic with a manual-control feature.

Motor Trend May 2004
The TL's Accord roots are showing at the outer edges of the performance envelope.

Motor Trend May 2003
Don't be fooled: The TSX isn't a stretched RSX. Rather, it's a downsized version of Honda's global midsize platform (Accord, TL, CL).

post #3 of 31 Old 07-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Out of Control

the TSX and Accord are most closely related. the TL is sort of like a first cousin.

i know many aftermarket springs/shocks/sways are the same for the TSX and Accord. i think the only thing that fits from the TL is the front and rear swaybars, but that's just because the brackets and stuff happen to line up correctly. as you said, the geometry is completely different on the TL bar.

the TSX is really an Accord afterall. the TSX is called the Honda Accord in Japan and Europe.

i dont know what other parts are interchangeable. someone on gen7accord.com did an engine swap (he hydrolocked his original engine). he used the TSX engine, but kept the transmission from his Accord, and supposedly everything lined up correctly. but to be safe, just stick with Accord parts for your Accord.

2006 BMW 330i 6MT (Alpine White/Terra)

post #4 of 31 Old 07-21-2005, 02:37 PM
4th Gear

Hi All:

___I am still at a loss to understand the TSX’s size. Obviously it has the K24 although hopped up to achieve the ponies it has but its size (the Euro Accord) is a dead ringer for the Civic, not the Accord and its semi-lux performance bred sibling, the TL here in the states.

Honda Civic EX: Passenger: 88.1 - Cargo 12.9
Honda Civic: Passenger: 91.4 - Cargo 12.9 (<-- no sunroof in this one)
Acura TSX: Passenger: 91.0 - Cargo 13

Acura TL: Passenger: 97.9 - Cargo 12.3 Cargo w/ NAVI 12.5
Honda Accord DX/LX: Passenger: 102.7 - Cargo 14 (<-- no sunroof in either of these 2)
Honda Accord EX/EX-L/EX-L w/ NAVI: Passenger: 97.7 - Cargo 14

___It has been pointed out to me that the J30 would not fit in the TSX so is it based off the Civic or something else altogether?

___Thanks in advance.

___Wayne R. Gerdes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 Old 07-21-2005, 02:54 PM
pro common sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcel
Hi All:

___I am still at a loss to understand the TSX’s size. Obviously it has the K24 although hopped up to achieve the ponies it has but its size (the Euro Accord) is a dead ringer for the Civic, not the Accord and its semi-lux performance bred sibling, the TL here in the states.

Honda Civic EX: Passenger: 88.1 - Cargo 12.9
Honda Civic: Passenger: 91.4 - Cargo 12.9 (<-- no sunroof in this one)
Acura TSX: Passenger: 91.0 - Cargo 13

Acura TL: Passenger: 97.9 - Cargo 12.3 Cargo w/ NAVI 12.5
Honda Accord DX/LX: Passenger: 102.7 - Cargo 14 (<-- no sunroof in either of these 2)
Honda Accord EX/EX-L/EX-L w/ NAVI: Passenger: 97.7 - Cargo 14

___It has been pointed out to me that the J30 would not fit in the TSX so is it based off the Civic or something else altogether?

___Thanks in advance.

___Wayne R. Gerdes

take a look at exterior dimensions. i dont feel like pulling them up right now. but if you look the exterior of the tsx fits right smack in between the civic and the accord....

Current:
06 Nighthawk Black Acura TSX 6 spd~mine~20mm tl sway bar
08 Alabaster Silver Metallic RDX Tech Pkg~stevels'

Retired:
06 Sapphire Blue Accord V6 6spd sedan w/navi~stevel's~Accord all season floor mats and trunk tray
04 Nighthawk Black EX Accord Coupe~5spd~crooked

03 Ruby Red Pearl LX Civic Sedan (at)
00 Vintage Plum Pearl LX Civic Sedan (at)
post #6 of 31 Old 07-21-2005, 04:47 PM
accordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by anysia
take a look at exterior dimensions. i dont feel like pulling them up right now. but if you look the exterior of the tsx fits right smack in between the civic and the accord....
also. exterior dimensions of TL and Accord sedan are almost identicle.

accord sedan.... wheelbase = 107.9"
length = 189.5"
heigth = 57.1"
tack = 61.1"/61.2"

TL ............ wheelbase = 107.9"
length = 189.3"
heigth = 56.7"
track = 62.1"/62.0"

TSX.... wheelbase = 105.1"
length = 183.3"
heigth = 57.3"
track = 59.6"/59.6"

noting that the wheelbase is the same with accord and TL. I say they are most similar. TSX has a different rear suspension, for what I'm told, handling purposes. I'm told the TL and Accord rear suspensions are the same and are different from TSX to accomodate a little more room in the back seat. whereas in the TSX they didn't worry about that aspect so much.

I really don't understand the TL rear sway bar issue..... mine was fine. you'll also note, most aftermarket suspension pieces are accord V6 and TL, same thing. some things may be the same on the TSX also I'm sure as I consider it the accord's cousin.

'08 RDX tech.

'06 accord V6 6 MT nav sedan... gone.

'06 TSX 6MT.
post #7 of 31 Old 07-21-2005, 04:48 PM
accordless

specs are per manufacters sites. not magazines.

'08 RDX tech.

'06 TSX 6MT.
post #8 of 31 Old 07-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Out of Control

When I went to look around, sure enough I found some pieces on the Accord and TSX are shared, but not so with the TL. I also noted the identical exterior dimensions but didn't mention it. Chassis can be stretched and pounded to hell and still work...if you can turn an Accord into a Pilot, anything is possible
post #9 of 31 Old 07-21-2005, 04:50 PM
pro common sense!

should include the civic dimensions to put the civic versus tsx size to rest.................

Current:

Retired:
06 Sapphire Blue Accord V6 6spd sedan w/navi~stevel's~Accord all season floor mats and trunk tray

post #10 of 31 Old 07-21-2005, 04:50 PM
accordless

Quote:
should include the civic dimensions to put the civic versus tsx size to rest.................
eh... too much work.

'08 RDX tech.

'06 TSX 6MT.
post #11 of 31 Old 07-21-2005, 04:52 PM
pro common sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel
eh... too much work.

yeah but you KNOW you want to do it.

the tsx is bigger than the civic. we went through all that the other night!

Current:

Retired:

post #12 of 31 Old 07-21-2005, 04:53 PM
accordless

Quote:
yeah but you KNOW you want to do it.

the tsx is bigger than the civic. we went through all that the other night!
or could leave you something to look up when I leave in a few minutes.

'08 RDX tech.

'06 TSX 6MT.
post #13 of 31 Old 07-21-2005, 05:01 PM
pro common sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel
or could leave you something to look up when I leave in a few minutes.

nah, feel like i just did that. don't feel like doing it again.

Current:

Retired:

post #14 of 31 Old 07-21-2005, 05:28 PM
4th Gear

Hi SteveL:

___Thanks for the TSX’s, TL’s, and Accord’s exterior dimensions next to one another.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 31 Old 07-21-2005, 07:06 PM
accordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcel
Hi SteveL:

___Thanks for the TSX’s, TL’s, and Accord’s exterior dimensions next to one another.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
no problem.

btw... I always have good luck.

'08 RDX tech.

'06 TSX 6MT.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.