Front End Wiring Harness, easy to install? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 04-26-2009, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Front End Wiring Harness, easy to install?

Is the front end wiring harness easy to install? I'm having a problem with my A/C not working and it's because the compressor wont turn on, everything else is fine. For some reason, the signal is not getting to the compressor so I took it to the dealer so they can check what was the problem. They told me that I need the Front End Wiring Harness (Part #32100-SDB-A21) and that will fix the problem, but they want $800 to install, that's crazy. I check the wiring harness online and it cost between $55-$65 (the dealer was gonna charge me $95 for this), and I saw the hardness graph, it's #1 in the attached image. If I take it to a private shop (A/C shop, or electrical shop, not sure which one to go to), do you think they will charge less than $100 for the labor or is this really that hard to install that will cost me so much. Any help highly appreciate it. Thanks.

Attached Images

2005 Honda Accord EX V6 Navigation
Sedan
Taffeta White
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-26-2009, 12:03 PM
3rd Gear

i bet

its not the harness :P

dealership will charge you and then just kinda tell you that it wasnt the problem

are you sure your compressor isnt turning on? are you sure you dont just need a recharge of the system? dont jump to conclusions and spend 800$

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old 04-26-2009, 12:42 PM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

I agree, second opinion would be my first thought. The wiring is like "Where's Waldo?" Wiring #1 doesn't look like a fun project to do on your own.

post #4 of 31 Old 04-26-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
i bet

its not the harness :P

dealership will charge you and then just kinda tell you that it wasnt the problem

are you sure your compressor isnt turning on? are you sure you dont just need a recharge of the system? dont jump to conclusions and spend 800$
I already did have a mechanic check it before I took it to the dealer. I did a recharge and it still wasn't working. Then the mechanic did something to the sensor or plug (or fuse, not 100% sure what he did) that turns on the compressor, he put like one of those things that give electric shock/charge to that plug or fuse, and the compressor will be on while he was doing that and the system was cooling fine. Then when he stopped, no more cooling again. He told me that something electrical is wrong because everything seems fine except that the compressor is not turning on through the A/C controls. He tried all he could, but he couldn't get it to work so he suggested I take to the dealer so they can find out exactly what is wrong. Then at the dealer I was told that I need the front end harness.

Sedan
Taffeta White
post #5 of 31 Old 04-26-2009, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
I agree, second opinion would be my first thought. The wiring is like "Where's Waldo?" Wiring #1 doesn't look like a fun project to do on your own.
I know, I don't think I will do it on my own. I just wanted to know if it's really that expensive because $800 for labor seems way too much.

Sedan
Taffeta White
post #6 of 31 Old 04-26-2009, 01:31 PM

Looking at harness #1, it looks like there would be a lot of disassembly needed under the hood to replace it.
post #7 of 31 Old 04-26-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Looking at harness #1, it looks like there would be a lot of disassembly needed under the hood to replace it.
Yeah, it does seems like that. So one question, if I want to go to an independent mechanic, should I go to an A/C tech or to an Auto Electrician or something similar. I will ask for quotes locally to see if anyone can come up with a reasonable price for the job.

Do you still think I should let some else check the car again, because if the A/C guy did something to it that turned on the compressor, doesn't that mean, everything is connected and it might just need a fuse or something?

Sedan
Taffeta White
post #8 of 31 Old 04-26-2009, 04:56 PM

I don't know enough about that to give you an answer. I don't trust any mechanic with my Accord.
post #9 of 31 Old 04-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

The more scary thought is if the harness is fine, but it's the integrated controller that's not sending the signal to engage the A/C compressor.......

I would be suspecious how the dealership determines if the harness was the problem? Did they see anything that's physically damaged? Harness doesn't usualy just go bad by itself unless it was damaged by weather elements, rodent, careless mechanic, etc., it's not a wear and tear item in a 4 year old car!

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 31 Old 04-26-2009, 05:16 PM

has the car ever been in an accident?
It's possible one of the wires has opened inside the harness and trying to find it without completely opening it up sure wouldn't be easy or not time consuming.

I'd figure about 10 hours to change that harness, bumper, lights, rad, condenser, and whatever other components need to come off to get it out. It's not like its out in the open.

There are many things that can disable the compressor, if the hvac head sees something it doesn't like, it'll shut it down, also the signal from the hvac head goes out to the PCM and the PCM grounds the compressor relay.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #11 of 31 Old 04-26-2009, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
I don't know enough about that to give you an answer. I don't trust any mechanic with my Accord.
Yeah, that's the problem for everyone, but I have to believe someone since it's not working.

Sedan
Taffeta White
post #12 of 31 Old 04-26-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviography View Post
The more scary thought is if the harness is fine, but it's the integrated controller that's not sending the signal to engage the A/C compressor.......

I would be suspecious how the dealership determines if the harness was the problem? Did they see anything that's physically damaged? Harness doesn't usualy just go bad by itself unless it was damaged by weather elements, rodent, careless mechanic, etc., it's not a wear and tear item in a 4 year old car!
They actually serviced the car for about 45min looking for the problem and then came up that the harness is broken and needs to be replace. I think they did it physically since that's the only way to know. But who knows who to believe.

Sedan
Taffeta White
post #13 of 31 Old 04-26-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
It's possible one of the wires has opened inside the harness and trying to find it without completely opening it up sure wouldn't be easy or not time consuming.

I'd figure about 10 hours to change that harness, bumper, lights, rad, condenser, and whatever other components need to come off to get it out. It's not like its out in the open.

There are many things that can disable the compressor, if the hvac head sees something it doesn't like, it'll shut it down, also the signal from the hvac head goes out to the PCM and the PCM grounds the compressor relay.
The car has not been in an accident. I think they probably checked for all that since they supposedly "checked" for the problem.

I think I'm just gonna go back to the A/C mechanic that did something and got it to work at least temporarily at his shop and ask him if he thinks that's the problem or if he can do anything like a switch or something where I will manually turn on the compressor. He did say it was an electrical problem since everything seems to be working fine. I really don't know what to do, but it's getting hot here in NY already. He's in A/C mechanic, do you think I will be better seeing him or going to an Auto Electrician instead?

I really don't want to spend more money on checking the car alone since I paid $100 at the dealer already for the check up and $100 at the A/C mechanic for the recharge and checking out why it was still not working so that's $200 already and the problem has not been fixed yet.

Thanks all for the replies and your help. Any other input by anyone else highly appreciate it.

Sedan
Taffeta White
post #14 of 31 Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post

Where is the compressor relay, I would like to check it out myself. I checked many forums and many people said that was the problem. I'll see what I can find out. Can anyone tell me how I can check the compressor relay?

Sedan
Taffeta White
post #15 of 31 Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

I also wanted to add that when I do the HVAC self diagnostic test, I get these error codes

A: An Open in the In-car Temperature Sensor Circuit
F: A Short in the Sunlight Sensor Circuit
M: A Problem in the Mode Control Linkage, Doors, or Motor

Do you think this has anything to do with that or is it because the harness is broken that I'm getting all these codes. I asked the mechanic to check In-car temperature sensor circuit to see if anything is wrong, he said the "check engine" should come on if there is anything wrong with that sensor and didnt check it. Should I check all these problems or you guys think that has nothing to do with the compressor not turning on?

Sedan
Taffeta White
Advertisement

Tags
a/c, compressor, harness, wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.